Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #931
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With 2.0.0, I find it easier to swipe down the page. This brings the highlighting menu up without selecting anything. Then a tap on a word will select it. Of course, you have to be accurate with the tap. And make sure the cat doesn't bump the hand.

The other change with 2.0.0 is that once the highlighting menu is up, you can add multiple highlight or annotations.
Ah yes I forgot about the swipe down, thanks. That might be faster than selecting a word with long tap... (I just timed it, sort of. Long tap vs. swipe down plus short tap takes more or less the same amount of time if all you want to do is look up one word.) But it would still take longer than one short tap to select one word if page turn is set to swipe only... (Again only to look up one word.)

Oh and I have tiny fingers and no cat AND firmware 2.1.1, so no problems there
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #932
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
With 2.0.0, I find it easier to swipe down the page. This brings the highlighting menu up without selecting anything.
Yes, this works well.

[QUOTE=davidfor;2200345]Then a tap on a word will select it. Of course, you have to be accurate with the tap.[QUOTE]

Still working on that. I really need a finger-proxy , but haven't found anything that works yet.

Quote:
And make sure the cat doesn't bump the hand.
Easier said than done ...

I have just updated to 2.1.1 - a painless procedure, I'm delighted to say. It certainly seems to have speeded up the page turns, and I wasn't having any problems. The text-select tool also seems to be a bit more manageable, but still not as responsive as my phone screen (I know they are different types of screen, but the difference is marked).
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #933
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
... it might be nice to have a user definable option to set page turns to swipe only, and with that, short taps can be for highlighting... I would personally really like that.
That would be OK but *only* if it was an *option* as you have suggested. I hold the KOBO with my thumb on the frame and just a slight movement (almost just a rocking motion) off the frame onto the screen very reliably causes a page turn. I'd hate to have to swipe!
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #934
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
I hold the KOBO with my thumb on the frame and just a slight movement (almost just a rocking motion) off the frame onto the screen very reliably causes a page turn. I'd hate to have to swipe!
That's interesting - I'll try that technique myself.

I agree that all these things should be options, though.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #935
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Still working on that. I really need a finger-proxy , but haven't found anything that works yet.
Just about anything will work. It just has to be large enough to break the IR beams.
Quote:
Easier said than done ...
I know what you mean. Mine just walks in and demands lap.
Quote:
I have just updated to 2.1.1 - a painless procedure, I'm delighted to say. It certainly seems to have speeded up the page turns, and I wasn't having any problems. The text-select tool also seems to be a bit more manageable, but still not as responsive as my phone screen (I know they are different types of screen, but the difference is marked).
Lucky you. Mine just hangs with the dancing squares when I try the update.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #936
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Just about anything will work. It just has to be large enough to break the IR beams.
I keep trying, but nothing works as well as my finger. I think I'll buy a pencil with an eraser on the end to see it that works.

Quote:
Lucky you. Mine just hangs with the dancing squares when I try the update.
It is odd how some work with no problems, others work with a bit of perseverance, and others don't work at all. I wonder if that device ID idea I mentioned to you the other day might be more than a brainfart!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #937
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I keep trying, but nothing works as well as my finger. I think I'll buy a pencil with an eraser on the end to see it that works.
I have tried one and it worked well.
Quote:
It is odd how some work with no problems, others work with a bit of perseverance, and others don't work at all. I wonder if that device ID idea I mentioned to you the other day might be more than a brainfart!
Yes, it might explain it. But, we would need the device ids from everyone to get the stats.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #938
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Yes, it might explain it. But, we would need the device ids from everyone to get the stats.
Well, I'm happy to kick it off. My device ID is 4163 rev_0110, and I have had absolutely no problems with updates, as I have been posting.

If anyone else wants to post theirs, and the ease or not of updating (either with 2.0.0 or 2.1.1), the device ID can be found by opening Calibre, then Preferences>Miscellaneous (middle of bottom row). On the screen that comes up, locate the "Debug device detection" button, but don't press it yet. Connect the KT with a usb cable, and then allow it to connect to the computer. Now, timing is a bit tricky. If you have autorun turned on, click the Debug button just after the box (or boxes if you have an SD card) have opened. If not, probably counting slowly to five would do it.

What you should see is a box that says "Getting debug information, please wait ...", and then produces a list of all the usb devices connected to your computer. Run down the list until you find "Looking for devices..." The line below will look like:
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_XXXX&rev_YYYY'

Followed by:
Detected possible device KoboTouch

The device ID is the two four-digit numbers after "pid" (highlighted).

There may, of course, be an easier way than this, but I haven't found it. Someone will no doubt enlighten me with a much simpler solution!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #939
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, what theory are we testing here?

I get information that looks slightly different (I'm on a Mac):

Code:
Looking for devices...
	(8759L, 16739L, 806L, u'Kobo', u'eReader', u'KG31B1500609E')
		Detected possible device KOBO
Strange that mine doesn't know it's a Touch... can I set that somewhere? Is the device number in there somewhere? I recognise the serial number but that's about it.

And I've had no real problems with updates, just one minor one: installing version 2.1.1 on top of 2.0.2 caused 2.0.0 to appear instead, and installing 2.1.1. over 2.0.0 worked perfectly.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #940
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Hah - I forgot that the conversation I'd had with davidfor was on PM!

It came out of a discussion regarding device drivers, and hence I went through the process to work out the device ID. David remarked that the ID on mine seemed to be for a different, older device. From that, I wondered if there may be a link between device IDs and why some folks have problems.

Quote:

Code:
Looking for devices...
That is dramatically different from mine - I'll add it to the list, and wait for someone to tell us that it isn't the ID!

Quote:
Strange that mine doesn't know it's a Touch... can I set that somewhere? Is the device number in there somewhere? I recognise the serial number but that's about it.
It is interesting - I would have thought it would be a bit more specific. However, my knowledge of Macs is slightly less than not much!

Quote:
And I've had no real problems with updates, just one minor one: installing version 2.1.1 on top of 2.0.2 caused 2.0.0 to appear instead, and installing 2.1.1. over 2.0.0 worked perfectly.
Yes, I saw your post earlier - how that happened is beyond my ability to guess!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #941
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Hah - I forgot that the conversation I'd had with davidfor was on PM!

It came out of a discussion regarding device drivers, and hence I went through the process to work out the device ID. David remarked that the ID on mine seemed to be for a different, older device. From that, I wondered if there may be a link between device IDs and why some folks have problems.
Interesting indeed. Wouldn't the serial number give enough information to figure out a relationship between batches and problems? Serial numbers would be a lot easier to get...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #942
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Code:
Looking for devices...
As peakcrew said, the format doesn't agree with what we are seeing. It appears to be a difference between Wiindows and Mac. Those numbers appear to be decimal. Converting them to hexadecimal gives the same values I have. What I see is:

Code:
Looking for devices...
	u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_4163&rev_0326'
Quote:
The names in the first line appear to come from the device. I don't know why Kobo don't label them properly. The "Detected possible device" is from calibre. At the moment there is only one driver for all the different Kobo devices and it doesn't differentiate them.
Quote:
I had no problems up to 2.0.2. But, I recently did a factory reset and haven't been able to go past 2.0.0. If I put 2.0.2 on, it seems to install but I don't think it actually does. With 2.1.1, it hangs with the dancing squares after the update. The only fix is to do a reset.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #943
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

There may, of course, be an easier way than this, but I haven't found it. Someone will no doubt enlighten me with a much simpler solution!
Try this approach.. With the Kobo attached (and I think it makes no difference whether or not calibre or Kobo Desktop are up), go to Control Panel | Device Manager. Then expand the Disk Drive section and look for the entry Kobo eReader USB Device and select Properties.

Now select Details and in the Property box look for the entry Parent.

The value for my Parent is
Code:
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG3172104949A
Grr.. the Rev does not show there

But it DOES show in the Device Instance Path info
Code:
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3172104949A&0
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #944
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I notice that hyperlinks work with Kepubs but not with Epubs. That's disappointing.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #945
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try this approach.. With the Kobo attached (and I think it makes no difference whether or not calibre or Kobo Desktop are up), go to Control Panel | Device Manager. Then expand the Disk Drive section and look for the entry Kobo eReader USB Device and select Properties.

Now select Details and in the Property box look for the entry Parent.

The value for my Parent is
Code:
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG3172104949A
Grr.. the Rev does not show there

But it DOES show in the Device Instance Path info
Code:
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3172104949A&0
Thanks, Peter. I woke up in the middle of the night with "Device Manager!!!" ringing around my head I have just run it, and on my WinXP machine, device manager only seems to give the revision number: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0110\N905B2 1300675&0. None of the other IDs on the dropdown menu have further information. It look as as if you are running a later version of Windows (Vista?), so certainly it is a much easier way to do it than the Calibre way for people on the same OS as you.

Quote:
Interesting indeed. Wouldn't the serial number give enough information to figure out a relationship between batches and problems? Serial numbers would be a lot easier to get...
That's why the idea came up - in David's experience, the ID is for a different Kobo reader altogether Serial numbers therefore might not help, or at least they might, but only by being able to correlate the serial numbers to the IDs

Quote:
Converting them to hexadecimal ...
Well spotted! I wish I was clever like you ...

Quote:
I don't know why Kobo don't label them properly.
I think this is where the root of the problem lies. As the readers have developed, various things have crept in and out, and there are so many versions that it is difficult for the current developers to keep track. Thus we get blocks of people with certain problems (from reading at the time 2.0.0 came out, a lot of the problems were in Australia/NZ, and you are again experiencing problems with 2.1.1, in Australia). Of course, the question remains: what do we do with the information if/when we get it?