Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Rickshaw
Rickshaw began at the beginning.

Device: psr t-1
Exclamation New problem with Calibre crashing

Help! I use caliber to manage my library. After some security updates from Windows on 7/11. Calibre crashes my entire system on loading. Deleted and reinstalled. Still does it. I am running windows 7 home on an acer laptop. Ran caliber-debug and got the following log:

calibre 0.9.39 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')

I am running a 32 bit version of calibre but the computer is 64.

Anyone got a suggestion?
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can you tell us what Windows updates were applied, and is WU reporting Windows is Up To Date - Big Green Tick.

I applied last weeks patches on Tuesday July 10 20:00 (UTC). No problems then or since using Calibre 0.9.37, 38 and 39 - 32 and 64 bit

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
Help! I use caliber to manage my library. After some security updates from Windows on 7/11. Calibre crashes my entire system on loading. Deleted and reinstalled. Still does it. I am running windows 7 home on an acer laptop. Ran caliber-debug and got the following log:

calibre 0.9.39 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')

I am running a 32 bit version of calibre but the computer is 64.

Anyone got a suggestion?
I have no Win 7 machines left here now so don't know what updates may have been applied, but in my experience the ones that most commonly cause problems are driver updates, particularly network interface card ones (and also video ones). It may be the network card because, for example, when Calibre starts and does its check for updates for itself and plugins that there is some sort of conflict with the card and any updated driver.

However, I would expect that other applications that do such a check would show similar symptoms as you are experiencing with Calibre??

If it is the issue then is fixed by:

If the network card driver was updated or you cannot determine if the network card driver was updated or not, then go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapter; select your adapter and go to Drivers Tab and select roll back driver which will reinstall the previous driver. Test Calibre starts, if it does good, if it doesn't then in Device manager restore the latest driver with Update driver....
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Rickshaw
Rickshaw began at the beginning.

Device: psr t-1
Windows is up to date. However, about the same time Boinc updated. I found a program it installed seems to be the problem, it was also interfering with internet explorer. I shut down Boinc and everything runs right. After reload, no further problem with the Boinc program. Don't know for sure which update caused the problem but it seems to be resolved. Apologies for not updating post sooner. Now if someone can just fix the crappy firmware on my sony reader......
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, crashes