Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

Solutions for those outside the US...

Has anyone ever used USA2ME, and one of the Virtual Credit Cards from money-around-the-world.com before? I really want a Kindle, but as I'm in the UK, it's the only way I can think of getting one. It's just I'm not really sure whether these services are any good. Yes I'm impatient, it really bugs me when things are for those in the US only.
Any advice would be appreciated.
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
They won't ship outside the USA, even with a valid credit card. Sorry.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

Hi Nate, With USA2Me, you get it shipped to their address in the US, and then they forward it to you wherever you are, in my case the UK.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm curious about why you'd want one? The only thing that really differentiates the Kindle from any other eInk bookreader at present is the wireless download, and that won't work outside North America. If all you want to do is read books, you may as well just buy a CyBook!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

It's really for the selection of ebooks available. If bought the cybook i could get books from Mobipocket, but as I have a Mac I can't install the mobipocket software onto my laptop (as far as I'm aware anyway). Also, I kind of like the design!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw2275 View Post
It's really for the selection of ebooks available. If bought the cybook i could get books from Mobipocket, but as I have a Mac I can't install the mobipocket software onto my laptop (as far as I'm aware anyway). Also, I kind of like the design!
Cybook will work fine on a mac. You just mount the device and copy the files over. There are some nice features on the Kindle though such as the ability to add notes and capture pages. Following links is easier as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might be worth checking out the range of Mobi books available - I think you'll find there's enough to last you a lifetime . You don't need the Mobi desktop software - as Dale says, the CyBook mounts on the Mac as a USB drive and you just copy files to it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
And if you don't WANT to buy a cybook? If these solutions work, then both Sony and Kindle are better options. I don't know the answer to your question Sarah but have had the same idea myself as bongous say on their website that you can register their forwarding address as a second address on your normal credit card and it will process as a US billing address card. If this indeed works, it would allow access to Connect or to Kindle and would give us more options.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
And if you don't WANT to buy a cybook? If these solutions work, then both Sony and Kindle are better options.
Why do you believe that the Sony is a better option, as a matter of interest?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

It is the Kindle that I want. Sorry, I know people love their Sony and Cybook readers, but Sony is out for me because of the mac issue, and I'm really not keen on the Cybook. I'd prefer to go wit Amazon, so any advice about getting a virtual credit card etc would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sarahw2275; 11-21-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm puzzled . You mentioned earlier, the reason you were opting for the Kindle was: "It's really for the selection of ebooks available."

But will you be able to get much content for the Kindle in the UK?

I thought you'd only have the same range of eBooks available for other devices, since the Amazon shop (and all Kindle's web access) will be inaccessible outside the US.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there software for the Kindle that works with OS X? If not, then the Kindle will need you to have a Windows setup in order to to use the software. I know for sure there is no version of Mobipocket for OS X. So using that to convert content is a no go with OS X.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
sarahw2275
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm puzzled . You mentioned earlier, the reason you were opting for the Kindle was: "It's really for the selection of ebooks available."

But will you be able to get much content for the Kindle in the UK?

I thought you'd only have the same range of eBooks available for other devices, since the Amazon shop (and all Kindle's web access) will be inaccessible outside the US.
That's why I'm considering a virtual credit card with a US billing address. That way I should be able to get ebooks from amazon.com. I'm just hoping that someone has used one of these virtual cards before and can give me some advice.

@JSWolf - According to Amazon, it does support Macs.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there software for the Kindle that works with OS X? If not, then the Kindle will need you to have a Windows setup in order to to use the software. I know for sure there is no version of Mobipocket for OS X. So using that to convert content is a no go with OS X.
There is no software needed for Kindle. It will mount as a flash disk under OS X which will allow file transfers. However, you are correct in that there will be no way to convert files to MobiPocket files although there may be some third party programs that will work. It would still be possible to use the Kindle online convert feature to do the conversions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Kindle Services in the UK

The Kindle looks great from the amazon video, a lot better then the early piccies we saw from the FCC guys.
I'm concerned however about the wireless thing. As it uses the GSM network but doesn't have a sim card (to pay for the services). I would think there is some kind of agreement with the Cellnet companies and Amazon. The chances are, unless it is officially released in the UK, the Wireless features will not work in the UK.
Therefore getting books onto it would involve the same amount of work as for the Cybook and Sony - you have to get the book into the format you want, then dump it onto the Kindle via USB. It doesn't look like it reads 'normal' mobipocket books however and I don't think there is a PC conversion kit to make the books for you. Leaving you with RTF's and Txt's (presuming these are supported natively).
I have a friend in the US, who is happy to buy me stuff then send it over to me, but great though this thing looks - it will probably be next to useless unitl officially released over here (in the UK)
Of course; I could be wrong about most (or even all) of this. It is all my opinion only.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote