Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
T.E. Lawrence's ("Lawrence of Arabia") "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is a great read. I'm pretty sure it's here on MR. Certainly on PG Australia.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I know that you also like romance, Lilac.
Have you thought about Lady Antonia Fraser's biographies?
Her life of Mary, Queen of Scots, or her biography of Marie Antoinette might just appeal to you.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I know that you also like romance, Lilac.
Have you thought about Lady Antonia Fraser's biographies?
Her life of Mary, Queen of Scots, or her biography of Marie Antoinette might just appeal to you.
I'll check them out. I haven't read a good bio in a while.

I've also had "Pillars of the Earth" on my TBR list for a while, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Some of my favorites in the famous disasters genre, not necessarily ebooks:

1) And the band played on by Randy Shiltz. I remember when I read that I couldn't put it down -- stayed up for two or three days in a row! (The beginnings of the AIDS epidemic.)

2) One of the early Galveston hurricane books was great -- I can't remember which one, but on this list
(http://earlytexashistory.com/Pomeros...galvbooks.html)
many were written before 1910 so may be public domain and thus available as ebooks

3) A night to remember Walter Lord, 1955. Not public domain yet, but a really good one about the Titanic.

4) Alive! The story of the Andes survivors Piers Paul Read, 1974. A little gory, but gripping.

5) History of the Donner party by C.F. McGlashan (late 1800's) is available at PG
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I liked The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I think Four Days in November qualifies. It was great, and available for Kindle.

I think my favorite history book of all time is Cabeza de Vaca's Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America. I don't know if it's Kindleized. Various translations are available; some don't look as fun as the one I read.

Memoirs of George Kennon is another favorite. Probably not Kindelized.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #22
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'll check them out. I haven't read a good bio in a while.

I've also had "Pillars of the Earth" on my TBR list for a while, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
As you can see, I just finished ' Pillars' ....... A good book, but not a superb one.. I was al little bit disappointed by it, the ending saved a great deal though, he knows to knit it all up together rather well...
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Simon Winchester has gotten a LOT of positive reviews of his historical books.
  • The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Man Who Loved China: The Fantastic Story of the Eccentric Scientist Who Unlocked the Mysteries of the Middle Kingdom
  • A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906
  • The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology
  • Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883
And he's got a couple of travelogues as well.
  • The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze, and Back in Chinese Time
  • Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire
  • Korea: A Walk Through the Land of Miracles
  • Pacific Rising: The Emergence of a New World Culture
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Simon Winchester has gotten a LOT of positive reviews of his historical books.
  • The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Man Who Loved China: The Fantastic Story of the Eccentric Scientist Who Unlocked the Mysteries of the Middle Kingdom
  • A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906
  • The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology
  • Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883
And he's got a couple of travelogues as well.
  • The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze, and Back in Chinese Time
  • Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire
  • Korea: A Walk Through the Land of Miracles
  • Pacific Rising: The Emergence of a New World Culture
I looked all over my parent's house for "Crack in the Edge of the World" to no avail (which means its in my boxes at my house...ugh). I have never seen his travel books though, have you read any of them?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I looked all over my parent's house for "Crack in the Edge of the World" to no avail (which means its in my boxes at my house...ugh). I have never seen his travel books though, have you read any of them?
Nope -- the only exposure I've had to Winchester is the sample I downloaded of The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary, based on a recommendation from someone in my book-swapping group.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #26
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Nope -- the only exposure I've had to Winchester is the sample I downloaded of The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary, based on a recommendation from someone in my book-swapping group.
It's a darn good book too. Did you read "Devil in the White City?" I read them around the same time and they have a similar vibe.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #27
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
It's a darn good book too. Did you read "Devil in the White City?" I read them around the same time and they have a similar vibe.
Nope, haven't read it, but I'll check it out.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #28
Mason
parce qui c'est amusant!
Mason began at the beginning.

Device: none
O Jerusalem! is a great book written by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins. It recounts the events leading up to the creation of the state of Israel from both Jewish and Muslim perspectives ( it leans pro-Israeli, but it doesn't leave out cases where Israel was in the wrong ).

It's an interesting read, it'll make you look at the current situation a little bit differently.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #29
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
While it's not entirely accurate, try 1491?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
O Jerusalem! is a great book written by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins. It recounts the events leading up to the creation of the state of Israel from both Jewish and Muslim perspectives ( it leans pro-Israeli, but it doesn't leave out cases where Israel was in the wrong ).

It's an interesting read, it'll make you look at the current situation a little bit differently.
Their book about Gandhi and the creation of an independent India and Pakistan, Freedom at Midnight, is also excellent.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote