Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah that bit of code tells calibre (or any other software using the HTML) what encoding the file is in, so it is very important. Without that the software has to guess, and depending on the technique it uses to guess, results will vary...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #17
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
Ran into this myself today (just bought a Hanlin V5) and it's showing large gaps after smartquotes in books that use them that I converted to ePub (haven't tried the original format).

Kovid,

It seems like one solution to this would be to have a (probably defaulted off) conversion option that looks for smart quotes and apostrophes and converts them to vanilla ascii quotes and apostrophes. Do you think that would be hard or trivial thing to do? Just looking through one file I have issues with I see smartquotes sequences as:

E2 80 9C
and
E2 80 9D

apostrophes as:

E2 80 99

In ascii, quotes are 22, and apostrophes are 27. A search and replace in the displayed text areas might be enough. It could possibly even globally, assuming that neither the HTML or CSS portions would be using any of those unicode sequences.

It looks like a pretty good list can be found here:

http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode...192&number=128

Meh.

It's probably a function of the reader software as much as anything. I'll give openinkpot a try tomorrow after I buy a smaller SD card and see if it handles them any better.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Converting smart quotes is certainly do able, opena feture request ticket so I don't forget.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

Thanks for looking into this. I've created ticket #2846 for tracking purposes. I look forward to seeing the feature implemented.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Converting smart quotes is certainly do able, opena feture request ticket so I don't forget.
Do you mean removing smart quotes/apostrophes and converting them to regular ASCII equivalents? If you do implement it, would it be possible to make a switch to disable conversion? I happen to like smart quotes and I recall reading a thread here where people created complex regular expressions for converting ASCII quotes to smart quotes so I'm assuming I'm not alone in my preference.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

I'd think it would be off by default. It's not a benefit to everyone, but it would be a nice workaround/hack for some.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I am also missing apostrophes. I converted an ereader file with ereader2html, and then used Calibre to convert that to Mobi. A curious thing is that the file that came out of the ereader2html is actually a zip file and that is what Calibre converted. It seemed to work OK, except for the missing apostrophes--on the cybook they are just missing; in mobireader they are a funny block symbol. I haven't done much conversion(yet) and am a bit at a loss.
Thanks Rene
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Set the input encoding in the conversion options to cp1252
Old 08-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Ummmm. How to put this.......Hunh?? I looked in Calibre and couldn't find that as an option, nor could I find a place where I could input anything. Am I being amazingly obtuse? While I'm not a complete Luddite I'm not a programmer and definitely need the spoonfeeding. Is there maybe another thread that goes into this?
Rene

edit--The file that was made by ereader2html is in fact a .html; but for some reason Calibre insists that the input is a zip format. Could that be the problem?

Last edited by momghoti; 08-11-2009 at 05:06 PM.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #25
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hey, momghoti!

You might want to check out this post on another thread.

This'll put the encoding in your converted html file when you run the ereader2html script, and you won't have to worry about where to put it in Calibre any more!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote