Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
pikoman
Enthusiast
pikoman began at the beginning.

Device: prs505, prs700, iriver story
Exclamation Help!

Hi all,
My PRS700 hanged up last night when it was trying to load a book. I did nothing and left it until tomorrow. This morning the reader still stuck in the 'loading screen'. I tried to reset the reader but no luck ... so how can I reset the reader?
Thanks a lot.
pikoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
first, Charge your reader, the battery might be dead now if it got stuck loading

press the reset button with a paper clip, than do the power switch twice in quick sucession

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Ensure the Reader is powered off by checking that the indicator next to the power button [FIG. 1] is not illuminated.
image »

2. On the back of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.

3. Turn on the Reader.

4. While the screen displays Starting up... , simultaneously press and hold down the back [FIG. 2] button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.
image »

NOTE: If Starting up... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.

5. Touch Yes to reset the Reader.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

first, Charge your reader, the battery might be dead now if it got stuck loading

press the reset button with a paper clip, than do the power switch twice in quick sucession

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Ensure the Reader is powered off by checking that the indicator next to the power button [FIG. 1] is not illuminated.
image »

2. On the back of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.

3. Turn on the Reader.

4. While the screen displays Starting up... , simultaneously press and hold down the back [FIG. 2] button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.
image »

NOTE: If Starting up... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.

5. Touch Yes to reset the Reader.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
pikoman
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.
My reader got stuck last night with 3 'blocks' of battery and at this moment the reader still got stuck with the same level of battery ....
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoman View Post
Hi all,
My PRS700 hanged up last night when it was trying to load a book. I did nothing and left it until tomorrow. This morning the reader still stuck in the 'loading screen'. I tried to reset the reader but no luck ... so how can I reset the reader?
Thanks a lot.
Were you able to do the 'hard reset' as andy suggested? If the screen has not refreshed, it's possible the battery indicator is not correct so it's always advisable to recharge anyway. Plus just a few questions that might assist anyone trying to help you:

What kind of book format was it? (PDF,LRX....)

How large was the book? (# of pages?)

How were you loading it on to the PRS-700? (eBook Library, Windows Explorer or Calibre?

We're here trying to help, again as andy suggested, I would:
  • 1. Recharge the battery
  • 2. Reboot by putting the stylus in the reset hole in the back and holding for 5 seconds and then turn the power switch on twice in quick succession.
  • 3. Do a hard reset as per andy's instructions. (the one with the WARNING)
WetDogEared
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
pikoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Were you able to do the 'hard reset' as andy suggested? If the screen has not refreshed, it's possible the battery indicator is not correct so it's always advisable to recharge anyway. Plus just a few questions that might assist anyone trying to help you:

What kind of book format was it? (PDF,LRX....)

How large was the book? (# of pages?)

How were you loading it on to the PRS-700? (eBook Library, Windows Explorer or Calibre?

We're here trying to help, again as andy suggested, I would:
  • 1. Recharge the battery
  • 2. Reboot by putting the stylus in the reset hole in the back and holding for 5 seconds and then turn the power switch on twice in quick succession.
  • 3. Do a hard reset as per andy's instructions. (the one with the WARNING)
WetDogEared
Hi,
After 30min caharging and it works again (without resetting it)!! Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard

that's good,

the battery in this thing is only good for about 2 hours of continuous use. so if something gets stuck loading, it will be using 100% cpu until it gets turned off, which if you don't reset it correctly. is when it dies, in less than 2 hours.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
paragme
paragme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
I already ordered, I didn't know the battery is just good for 2 hours ? Please clarify Andy.
paragme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard

its good for 2 hours of Continuous Use.

but a button press only turns it on for less than a second, then its off again until you press the button again. that is where you get 7500 page turns from, when its continuous,

you can get 2000-4000 non continuous page turns on a charge, due to different factors, because you get drainage over time which is small, probably about 28 days, and then you've got drainage from usage, so you can do 4000 in a week, or 2000 in two weeks.

but if you press the button once a second, continuously, you get just over 2 hours.
7500/3600(number of seconds in an hour) its 2.08

Last edited by Andybaby; 06-03-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
paragme
paragme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Thanks Andy! Well that's ok. Reading one page should take atleast 5 minutes (for me specially they are technical PDFs). That means it's good for 2000x5 = 10000 minutes = 160 hours for me. That's good enough.
paragme is offline   Reply With Quote