Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually I mean almost exactly what I said. I recently tried an ePUB that had hardcoded (CSS coded) 12 point font and the interpretation of the Reader was to display it 12 pixels high however they did add spacing between the lines that would have normally been included in the points size. The result was 42 lines displayed in 800 pixels or about 19 pixels per line (12 plus spacing). This is clearly wrong. Changing the font size in ADE did nothing. Running the file through Calibre removed the hard coding and made the file readable.

Dale
Says a lot about the state of the industry that end users have to routinely recompile the product to get proper display.

So, instead of coding a point as an actual physical dimension they are coding it as an arbitrary number = 1 screen pixel, so text quality becomes a function of screen size.
Shades of MacOS 1.0!
Hard-coded screen metrics. How last century.
Guess I'd better stick with OI until those boys catch up on WYSIWIG displays, screen metrics, and typography...
Thanks for the warning.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Says a lot about the state of the industry that end users have to routinely recompile the product to get proper display.

So, instead of coding a point as an actual physical dimension they are coding it as an arbitrary number = 1 screen pixel, so text quality becomes a function of screen size.
Shades of MacOS 1.0!
Hard-coded screen metrics. How last century.
Guess I'd better stick with OI until those boys catch up on WYSIWIG displays, screen metrics, and typography...
Thanks for the warning.
You are welcome. I have forwarded the problem to Jinke (I hope) via Astak so perhaps they will fix it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
You are welcome. I have forwarded the problem to Jinke (I hope) via Astak so perhaps they will fix it.
Dale
Dale, Jinke also seems to be responsive to their developer forum. You might want to try here:

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/d...st.asp?l_id=10
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Does the V5 only support SD cards formatted to FAT16? I've only seen reference to needing the SD card to be formatted to FAT16 for firmware updates and no reference to general ebook storage.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Does the V5 only support SD cards formatted to FAT16?
Since FAT16 is 2GB (or 4GB at best), FAT32 is definitely ok on the Pocket Pro. The Firmware Download page says:
Quote:
Your SD card must be 4GB or smaller (for the 6” EZ Reader) or 16GB or smaller (for the 5”PocketPRO) to do this.
which implies that a 16 GB SDHC, formatted FAT32, should work - even for firmware installation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Dale, Jinke also seems to be responsive to their developer forum. You might want to try here:

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/d...st.asp?l_id=10
Thanks, I am looking forward to the firmware upgrade that RobertB said would be here yesterday. If that ones doesn't address some of my previously entered problems I will try the developer forum although it was meant for developers I thought.

Dale
Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I Don't know for sure, but there is a Questions and Answers Section under Technical Support and they did answer a previous question that I left for them.

Quote:
Thanks, I am looking forward to the firmware upgrade that RobertB said would be here yesterday. If that ones doesn't address some of my previously entered problems I will try the developer forum although it was meant for developers I thought.

Dale
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Another difference I have found in my new Pocket Pro is that I have about 8 system font choices instead of 1. Anybody else notice this?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
i have been lucky enough to get the bebook mini - for those reading this those that dont know bebook mini is the jinke hanlin v5 clone (the bebook 1 is hanlin v3). I was bit shocked to find the exclusion of a case.

I have a bebook one i purchased a year ago so my initial impression against my old bebook:

the bebook mini is small! Very comfortable in my hands. I was initially concerned the screen may be too small but the viewing area is only just under 2cm smaller in both height & width, and displaying the same rtf book on both devices, I only lost *one* line in the smaller bebook! The default font is slighty smaller than the bebook one (but I personally like that). The colour of the bebbok is definately darker than the bebook one - my bebook one is a much lighter shade of black.

battery on back is actually much larger but slimmer and higher capacity than the older bebook. Annoyed to find its not standard battery (you can use nokia bl5c and similar on bebook one - the bebook mini has larger slim battery with plug that plugs into a socket in the mini bebook. There is the same sd card slot (currently redundant in bebook one and bebook mini) in battery compartment as well. The back of the bebook mini also now houses a new speaker vent - the bebook one didnt have any obvious speaker holes/vent.

Not sure if a replacement battery will be easy to find, but its early days. The larger capacity of the battery on the bebook mini will definately improve battery performance.

the sd card is a bit more snug in the bebook mini, putting the sd card in and out, maybe a little to snug, but this doesnt detract from the operation of the card.

the screwdriver, lanyard and headphones is still supplied with the minibebook, nice touch as most people wont have mini screwdriver needed to open the battery compartment.

As the earlier post mentioned the small flap covering the usb and headphone socket on the bebook one is gone from the bebook mini. The headphone socket remains at the bottomand usb moved to the top - given that the sd card slot isnt covered either (which is the same for bebook one), its a pity these arent all located at the top.

One great feature of the mini bebook is the jog/rocker wheel on the side for turning pages This is so comfortable to use I wish they had put it on the bebook one. I like to flick it for easy page turns which was easy either my thumb or my forefinger depending on how I was holding the bebook. The bebook mini also makes holding the ereader with just one hand much more easier.

The bebook mini has the new firmware preinstalled which now moves the bebook away from mobi support - the old bebook one had mobi support until the march firmware update. The only way to read any purchased mobi books on the bebook one is to roll back to older firmware, and roll it forward to read epub drm (the old firmwares only supported mobi drm). For those of us reading drm free books of course this isnt so much of a problem (but it will be for a lot of other users)

The reset button on the bebook mini is still small, but far more accessable than the bebook one. Its small enough not to be pressed by mistake, but big enough to be easily pressed by even a standard biro pen.

bottom line initial impressions: very pleased with the new smaller size. The smaller size hasnt actually detracted that much from the viewable area so in this repsect (imho) its superior to the older bebook. I love the jog/rocker switch for turning pages - but then I am easily pleased! The bad points include no case - big let down - I cant even find case I can buy for it on the bebook site. obviously in time the case may become available to buy, but until then you cant really take it anywhere unprotected - it would be too easy to damage the screen or collect dust etc. the uncovered slots are very annoying - you can cover the sd card by permanently leaving an sd card in there. On the old bebook the other ports was covered by a flap so you were good - in the small one this is now open, with extra speaker sockets on the back this makes it more prone to dust/damamge etc.

overall the lack of case lets this product down, especially given how easy it is to break the current family of ereader screens. Otherwise this has some definate advantages over the bebook one. The Astak will definately get the sales over the bebook because of this alone.

my apologies if this overlaps the earlier posts too much.

Last edited by redbaron101; 10-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote