Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
gaphic2
Enthusiast
gaphic2 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Reinstalling 1.5 firmware

Just installed 1.6 - the two column bug really won't do for me. I'd like to go back to 1.5. Does anybody know where I can find the older firmware? I was stupid enough not to make a backup.
gaphic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
gaphic2
Enthusiast

Oops, found it myself: http://updates.irexnet.com/embedded/dr1000/
And it's also in the Feature requests etc. thread.

Sorry to waste a thread, -karma

Last edited by gaphic2; 05-20-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Why would anyone want to go back to firmware 1.5 is beyond my comprehension What bugs are there in 1.6 that weren't present in 1.5? Could you enlighten us on that?
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
GEMITO138
GEMITO138 began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000s
pdfs rotate 90 degrees don´t render well.
GEMITO138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
Why would anyone want to go back to firmware 1.5 is beyond my comprehension What bugs are there in 1.6 that weren't present in 1.5? Could you enlighten us on that?
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=18030
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMITO138 View Post
pdfs rotate 90 degrees don´t render well.
Actually it does, for the most part. We're not pulling teeth here, do you have more details?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Seems to be a minor bug; not very bothersome.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
gaphic2
Enthusiast

Well now, that depends on how you use it. Would you find something bothersome if you experienced it at every page turn?

I generate PDF's using Indesign. I prefer to read as though I'm holding a real book, so I'm holding the reader in landscape orientation and have two pages of text on screen.

With 1.5 that was no problem, with 1.6 - after a couple of pages - the next page button fails to do a correct refresh every time the sleep mode kicks in. As it seems to go to sleep real fast, this occurs at every page turn. Part of the previous page stays on screen, and depending on the actual reading time the 'crack' or 'tear' is positioned more to the left or to the right of the spread. Of course another page turn (before sleep) clears this, but I don't want to do a samba (PG DOWN/PG UP/PG DOWN) every page!

I'm not an Irex-basher. I love the reader, it's the best one out there for me. I'm just a bit annoyed at this and will happily go back to 1.5 for now.

I've posted the results of some testing on the Irex forum. I get the fault consistently at every page turn, from reading time 10 seconds onwards, but not when advancing with the stylus and only in landscape mode. And not only when reading PDF's, also when viewing a directory of JPG's.

Last edited by gaphic2; 05-21-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaphic2 View Post
Well now, that depends on how you use it. Would you find something bothersome if you experienced it at every page turn?
I completely agree. An annoying bug that affects usability is an annoying bug nonetheless, even if the usage pattern of a large majority of users (including myself) results in them being unaffected by the bug. It is important to figure out, though, if only a few people have the bug, which means you might need to contact iRex (as opposed to it being a firmware bug, which would meen yelling, screaming, begging and rattling your chains until iRex fixes the firmware ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaphic2 View Post
[...] I get the fault consistently at every page turn, from reading time 10 seconds onwards, but not when advancing with the stylus and only in landscape mode.
Ah. So you do (for those wondering, this answers my question on the iRex forums). Well, it doesn't occur so badly on my reader, which is why I asked if it had anything to do with your specific PDF file. I read 2-column (does it have to be 2-column even?) IEEE journal articles and I just tried them out with 15 second pauses between page turns, and I encounter 1 tear every 10 turns or so, I can live with that.

Some tips that might help:
1. You don't have to do a samba, just hit the menu button, twice
2. You might want to edit the dr1000.ini file in the System folder on the DR, and modify the /apps/er/sys/power/sec_suspend field to some value larger than 10 (was it 10 in the first place?). I don't know if the new power management scheme in 1.6 even uses this value (which should be in seconds), but it does not let you choose this value in the settings menu. Set it to 2-3 minutes or more, so that it will not affect your page turns but will still kick in if you decide to set the DR aside for a while. You will take a slight beating in battery life, but its better than disabling the power management altogether, and you can still enjoy the faster PDF loading etc. in 1.6.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
gaphic2
Enthusiast

I agree that it's a landscape bug, I also get it with JPG's, so it's not a PDF issue.

Yes, I do seem to be able to reproduce this at every button page turn after a 10-15 second wait.

Min_suspend was 5 in my .ini file. I upped it to 60 - no difference. Then when I went back and checked I noticed a backup ini file had been created and a new ini with Sec_suspend value 10. No more Min_suspend. I changed it to 25 and 15 - same thing. The machine checks the value and changes 15 or higher back to 10.

I also unchecked the powersave box - that seems to result in a -1 value for Min_suspend. And YES, the tear is gone. So it must have something to do with the new sleep mode.

Just to be complete my reader is a DR1000S-XW-GR - I don't know if that tells us anything about which generation it is.

To troubleshoot this further, I reinstalled 1.5 - had not done that yet, to check that the reader still works OK in landscape orientation with that firmware. It does, so it's not the machine itself.

I do notice that 1.5 is slower than 1.6 though and getting rid of the the flashing led was also great, so I would like this to be fixed.

Last edited by gaphic2; 05-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Grimulkan
Lord

Hey, I can edit .ini file and there are no backups being created. Also, I don't have a min_suspend field anywhere, only a sec_suspend like I mentioned which I can change to any value, although I don't know if it makes a difference. Perhaps you had problems while upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6 in the first place? Did you DR come with 1.6 pre-installed?

What happens if you install 1.6 again? Can you modify the .ini file now without backups appearing? Is there still a min_suspend? Does the bug appear?