Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Custom Java apps/booklets on Kindle?

I've seen two confirmations that Kindle runs Java in the blogs recently ([1] and [2]). Has anyone tried running custom apps yet?

Cheers,
Julien

[1] http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/h...shell-and.html
[2] http://javaswamy.blogspot.com/2008/0...e-has-jvm.html
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
dumky

Any progress on running custom app on the Kindle?
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's actually JavaScript not Java that the Kindle supports.

From the user guide:

Quote:
CHAPTER 6 Accessing the Web
Your Kindle comes with an Experimental application called Basic Web which is a Web browser that is optimized to read text-centric Web sites. It supports JavaScript, SSL and cookies but does not support media plug-ins (Flash, Shockwave, etc.) or Java applets.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It might support a Java servlet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The browser supports JavaScript, but from [1]:
Quote:
The main GUI and most of the back-end code is written in Java. The framework is quite elaborate and can be extended with extra "booklets".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
dumky

Java indeed

The browser does indeed support javascript, but that is not what I am talking about.
As igorsk's and others research has shown, the applications on the Kindle are written in Java.
Igor decompiled some of the apps already, and that is how he found about the undocumented keyboard shortcuts.

The question is can custom Java applications be loaded onto the Kindle?
The kind of applications which would be cool: calendar, manga reader, RSS reader, communication (IM, email, ...), better audiobook support,...

Thanks,
Julien
Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
danm72
danm72 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Igorsk mentioned in an interview something about creating a sample java applet (booklet). Did this ever happen?
danm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I did create a skeleton applet but it doesn't really do anything and you have no way to call it. I also need to check if it works with 1.0.4 and later; Amazon obfuscated a lot of class names so I'm not sure if a non-obfuscated version will load. One of these days I need to finalize it and post about it...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I did create a skeleton applet but it doesn't really do anything and you have no way to call it. I also need to check if it works with 1.0.4 and later; Amazon obfuscated a lot of class names so I'm not sure if a non-obfuscated version will load. One of these days I need to finalize it and post about it...
Can the SD card be made to autorun? That trick is what was done to get applications on the Sony.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
dumky

Any luck with this?

The potential of custom apps on Kindle is still very interesting.
Do you know if igor or anyone succeeded in running a custom app on a Kindle?

Thanks,
Julien
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
I'm dying to find out if this could be done. I've got some great app ideas.
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote