Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
This is a fairly off-the-wall suggestion, but I find that the ergonomics of my Tapwave Zodiac are superb for minimizing hand strain. I often read with it held loosely between index finger and pinky of one hand, with middle and ring fingers supporting the back, and use my thumb for paging. However, the device allows for a variety of hand positions, and pages can be turned from an analog pad on the left, hard buttons on the right, shoulder triggers on the top edge, or via screen taps. It runs any of the numerous reading apps available for PalmOS.

Regarding your other requirements, it does have a backlight, and antiglare screen protectors can be installed. Screen size may be smaller than you want, though - 320 X 480 pixels.

Unfortunately, the device is discontinued and becoming hard to find, but prices run about US $150 if you can locate one.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have arthritis in my hands, and I prefer the Kindle. The Sony page-turn buttons are small and require a fair amount of pressure, which equates to cramped hands in fairly short order in my experience.

Kindle has that button up the side, and if you keep it in its cover (I use the M-Edge cover) it's quite easy to hold and whap the page-turn button while being able to move your hands around to avoid cramping.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #18
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I have arthritis in my hands, and I prefer the Kindle. The Sony page-turn buttons are small and require a fair amount of pressure, which equates to cramped hands in fairly short order in my experience.

Kindle has that button up the side, and if you keep it in its cover (I use the M-Edge cover) it's quite easy to hold and whap the page-turn button while being able to move your hands around to avoid cramping.
Thanks mdibella. That is good info (maybe becuase it fits with my experiences with the devices). It makes sense to me that due to the size oof the buttons the Kindle definitely allows for one to use constantly shifting hand positions. Never thougt to mention that aspect of the Kindle design.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote