Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
remlap
Enthusiast
remlap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook 302 - Questions

Hi within a week I will probably be ordering a 302 from Green Reader.

I have noticed people suggested upgrading the extensions.cfg does this work with the 302.

Are there any firmware updates I should install that are in English?

Does this device work with Calibre?

Thanks.

Last edited by remlap; 06-20-2010 at 11:38 AM.
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've edited the extensions.cfg and made a few other modifications to my 302. Almost all of the modifications discussed for other models work on the 302.

I've installed fbreader180, which is what led me to modify the extensions.cfg in the first place. With the 15.2 firmware and latest fbreader180, an already good reader becomes very good. I've also installed the hacked Adobeviewer. Make sure you get the one for the 15.2 firmware if that's what you have. Instead of just installing the Adobeviewer as discussed, I renamed it and use the old Adobeviewer for my PDFs. You have to edit the extensions.cfg to get the new one to work with epubs if you keep the old one too. For some reason when I used the hacked Adobeviewer to read PDFs it would always open the previously read book, not the one I selected. So I use the original viewer for PDFs and the hacked viewer for epub. Perhaps it has to do with the fact the one for download came from a PB 360 image. I might try to do the same hack with the viewer on my 302.

One thing about themes. The theme creator was designed for the 301 and it seems that the themes don't work quite as well on the 302. I've been seeing some significant, unexpected changes in the operation of the reader. For example, the context menu when you are reading a book (in most themes) is between 1/3 and 1/2 the size it is in the default theme. And I don't recall any of the other themes having the notes menu choice (the center choice in the grid) available. Half the time the rotate menus are blank in other themes. Even though I like several of the other themes, I've gone back to default just to have full functionality restored. Some of the features in the themes are not needed as much because of the 15.2 firmware. An example is the longer list of most recently read. Clicking the power button brings up a menu that includes the last 10 most recently read books. So I don't need it in my theme.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
remlap
Enthusiast
remlap began at the beginning.

Hi Jim, thanks for your help where might I get the adobeviewer and fbreader180 easily?

Cheers
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlap View Post
Hi Jim, thanks for your help where might I get the adobeviewer and fbreader180 easily?

Cheers
You can always get the latest version of fbreader180 here. There is a read file in the archive. I just copied the system folder in the archive to the system folder on the internal flash drive on the PB 302.

You can get the hacked adobe viewer in post 21 in this thread. I recommend you read the whole thread as there is useful info there regarding it.

After you copy both fbreader180 and the hacked adobeviewer to the system\bin folder you will need to edit the userstyle1.css and the extensions.cfg.

For Adobeviewer I like ApparatusSIL font and a little bit of a border around my text. So here is the userStyle1.css (The filename is case sensitive) that I use. I'm wrapping it in a spoiler to take up a little less room. I've also included what you would do (as a comment) if you wanted to include the DroidSerif font instead.

Spoiler:
Code:
/* My Font additions */
/*
@font-face { font-family: "DroidSerif"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "DroidSerif"; font-weight: bold;   font-style: normal; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/DroidSerif-Bold.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "DroidSerif"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/DroidSerif-Italic.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "DroidSerif"; font-weight: bold;   font-style: italic; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf); }
*/
@font-face { font-family: "ApparatusSIL"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/AppSILR.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "ApparatusSIL"; font-weight: bold;   font-style: normal; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/AppSILB.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "ApparatusSIL"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/AppSILI.ttf); }
@font-face { font-family: "ApparatusSIL"; font-weight: bold;   font-style: italic; src: url(res:///mnt/ext1/system/fonts/AppSILBI.ttf); }

/* Standard elements */

@page {
  margin-top: 12px !important;
  margin-right: 8px !important;
  margin-bottom: 4px !important;
  margin-left: 8px !important;
}

html, body { 
  font-family: "ApparatusSIL", sans-serif !important;
  margin-top: 12px !important;
  margin-right: 8px !important;
  margin-bottom: 4px !important;
  margin-left: 8px !important;
  text-align: justify;
  line-height: 100%;
}

p {
  orphans: 1;
  widows: 1;
}

I also downloaded the beta browser app that is included in the firmware thread and changed my extensions.cfg to allow use of that. Here's my extenstions.cfg. If you don't install the browser.app (put it in the bin directory) you should remove that from the html line.

Spoiler:

Code:
txt:@Text_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
fb2:@FB2_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_FB2
htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,browser.app:ICON_HTM
html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,browser.app:ICON_HTM
php:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
cgi:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
asp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
jsp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
pl:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
chm:@Z_HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_CHM
rtf:@RTF_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_RTF
doc:@DOC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docx:@DOC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docm:@DOC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
prc:@PRC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
pdb:@PRC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
mobi:@PRC_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
tcr:@TCR_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
pdf:@PDF_file:1:pdfviewer.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON_PDF
djvu:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
djv:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
epub:@EPUB_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,AdobeViewer.app,MyAdobeViewer.app:ICON_EPUB
jpg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
jpeg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
png:@PNG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_PNG
bmp:@BMP_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_BMP
tif:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
tiff:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
mp3:@Music_file:3:play.app:ICON_MP3
wav:@Music_file:3:play.app:ICON_MP3
app:@APP_file:4:start.app:ICON_APP

With all these changes, I've added the hacked adobeviewer for epubs, the fbreader180 to supplement fbreader and the beta browser for html files.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 06-20-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Fix mispelling, clarity & downright errors.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
velomane
velomane began at the beginning.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to post. Perfect for a newcomer such as myself.
velomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Which folder is extensions.cfg supposed to end up in on the 302?

I don't see it now on my new device in any folders.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict

My H: drive has the Pocket302 and is the internal memory. It's in H:\system\config.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Thanks - I don't know why I didn't have it to start...but I tried several locations until I had a jackpot. That was only 3 or 4 in.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
Thanks for this post, I just got my 302 and used your instructions and everything works. Now I only have to find the beta browser.
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote