Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I love Zinio!

Thank you to whomever posted earlier about Zinio. I am so enjoying it. I always have loved magazines, but I would restrain myself because it was such a pain to store them. Now, I feel like I do not have to restrain myself. I have three subscriptions already and am thinking of getting more.

I worried briefly about the DRM issue, but then I realized that most information in magazines is not timeless anyway---I won't want to save it all for twenty years, necessarily. So if there is something I do want to save---I mostly am reading cooking and fitness magazines, so these are things like recipes, workout routines and monthly calendars with a tip a day sort of thing---I just use the screenshot feature, save the page I want, and then it's a regular old image I can store in iPhoto and do what I want with, the same way I used to clip articles from fitness magazines and store them in a binder.

And they are a good value, too. The cooking magazine was less than $15 for an entire year's worth of issues. I pay less than a book cost, once, and get a little present every month I am enjoying it so much.

I am thinking of getting Yoga Journal, Food Network Magazine, Oprah Magazine, Body + Soul and National Geographic. I would never buy so many in one month if it were paper, but with e-magazine, it's so handy and I can read them as much as I want and not worry about paper.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You have convinced me. I want NatGeo! Couldn't see to read it for 3yrs. Maybe with zoom it will work.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
National Geographic is really pretty And quite cheap, I think $16 for a year.
It has some additional content over the printed magazine as well, extra photo galleries, some interviews and so on. It is a really good example of how you can convert from paper and improve at the same time.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You have convinced me. I want NatGeo! Couldn't see to read it for 3yrs. Maybe with zoom it will work.

UPDATE: Got it, love it. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I thought they were geographically restricted, but I can't find anything about that. So, maybe it's time for that NatGeo subscription after all! (if I can find it...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the way Zinio works, and would love to be able to access all of my magazines in such a system.

Unfortunately, I'm not assured of the future supportability of Zinio, or of the mags (one of my mag subscriptions started out on Zinio, then switched to another, inferior service, prompting me to cancel the subscription).

That's why I'd much rather see a browser-based system that could be read on any device that handles browsers. Or a Zinio plug-in that operated within a browser.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I installed Zinio Reader 4 Beta in my Ubuntu partition and it works quite well. It's a bit of a memory and CPU hot on my laptop but I'll take it. Too bad I had to install Adobe Air as well.

I noticed that one can easily share magazine pages using Zinio, even with people without a Zinio subscription (as far as I can tell). What an excellent feature. That alone motivates me to support Zinio.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
welcome to the club ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83447 )
although I believe you're reading zinio magazines on a desktop or so.

For those of you who are having trouble with regional bindings, you can buy a subscription which is not available to your region, if you just change your billing address. I guess I was not supposed to have a subscription to NG, NG traveller and reader's digest...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

I'm in heaven with it! Just finished the free "Water" issue of NatGeo, and it was such a pleasure to read it again after a few yrs of not being able to see it. The photos are clear and perfect at very large zooms.

The largest text font was still too small for comfort, until I figured out that the articles can be copied to Pages, then globally enlarged to "subheadings" style. HUGE!

Love it, love it, love it!!!!!'!!!!!!'