Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Newkidontheblock
Newkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with others

Device: none
Smile What are derivative devices in literature

One of the reviews I received from a Beta reader used that term. Any ideas as to what they meant. I could ask them but I dont want to sound like an idiot.

Michael,
I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I enjoyed your book very much, it had some interesting plot points, and derivative devices.
Newkidontheblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
I would think they meant that some elements in the book are derivative of other works (seems to be a positive for them). I personally wouldn't consider anyone an idiot that asked me for clarification on anything I said or wrote. So I would recommend just asking them.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
By now pretty much *everything* is derivative of something else to *some* extent.
Where it can be a problem is when it is too close and too *recognizably similar* to something else.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkidontheblock View Post
One of the reviews I received from a Beta reader used that term. Any ideas as to what they meant. I could ask them but I dont want to sound like an idiot.

Michael,
I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I enjoyed your book very much, it had some interesting plot points, and derivative devices.
I would parse that as the plot points and derivative devices being interesting. And devices to be a reference to plot devices. Derivative from other plot points in the same book, as in, this leads to that, and that leads to the other thing? Seems more likely if it's intended as a compliment.

But you'd do far better to ask the person who wrote it what they mean. Otherwise, you could take honest negative feedback as a compliment. What's worse? Looking like an idiot, or being one? I've tried both, and prefer the former.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
To me, sounds like they mean you copied something from another book and made it your own.
Ask for specifics. Cause it is a general throw-away term in my opinion if not backed up.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

Michael,
It would make perfect sense if it were a book about puts, calls, futures, and swaps. But otherwise, it would need clarification.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd honestly need the context (the entire sentence) to understand it, but the easiest way is probably just ask your beta reader to clarify
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I think the interesting thing here is the use of the term beta reader.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Newkidontheblock
Newkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with othersNewkidontheblock plays well with others

Why is that interesting Giggle?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because it abandons the notion of a finished text.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Newkidontheblock

ok, thanks for responding.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
ok, thanks for responding.
lol, here's something else, by beta reading a text, has the beta reader become part of the texts creation?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I think the interesting thing here is the use of the term beta reader.
It's always been used by writers.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
It's always been used by writers.
And yet many still believe a text to be a singular act of creation...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Newkidontheblock

No, they are not part of it, just first to witness it. They were reading a full novel. It has not been professionally edited but complete. Now, as the name said I am new to all of this but from what I have read and been told, this is what I need to do. I also like the feedback I get. It gives me some Idea of what to expect from the agents that requested fulls.

Last edited by Newkidontheblock; 05-10-2012 at 01:49 AM.