Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
rjude02
rjude02 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The mind receives messages from sensory cells. The mind can focus on sensory signals from the eye. Eyes that have become strained do not always deliver a clear signal. Inattention to eyestrain symptoms deprives the brain of meaningful signals.
rjude02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Is it just me....or does reading on the Kindle induce more eye strain than reading a paper book. I'm not sure yet....since I just started. I'll know more in a few days.

I think it might have something to do with the greyish background.
No, it's just a slightly different skillset. Your eyes should accommodate. No eyestrain here whatsoever and yes, I too believe, a good light can make the difference.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle 2 and DX have 16 gray shades.

I love the ability to increase the font size. It is far easier for me to read than a paperback.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't get eyestrain but my eyes are so used to being glued to a screen now. When I first started using computers I did get eyestrain, after a few years my eyes were worse but the eyestrain was gone - I was used to reading from a screen.

If you aren't used to reading from a screen you may find yourself squinting more, not blinking enough, struggling to focus. I just found that I got used to it and it became easier.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
Recently I had to purchase my books for school, and they were pbooks rather than ebooks, and I started reading some off the material and the switch back from ebooks to pbooks is rough.
i found that I can´t read as long with a pbook as I can with my kindle or 505.
But then again I had lasik about 3 yrs ago. Which may be a factor as well.....
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I love the ability to increase the font size. It is far easier for me to read than a paperback.
Absolutely agree.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #22
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've got the ez reader and find that ambient light is good enough most of the time.

I also have astigmatisim, so when I read wihout glasses Iincrease the font size and its all good.

I used to use a PDA, and found myself getting sleepy in 1/2 an hour, though I usually plowed on for hours at a time. I don't get this with an EInk screen.

You may simply need reading glasses to correct the issue...Happens with age and long term use of Computer screens...what can ya do?
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
rjude02
rjude02 began at the beginning.

Sometimes when daily tasks strain the eyes they can develop a particular eye syndrome. When that happens, minor eyestrain can lead to the appearance of real vision problems.
rjude02 is offline   Reply With Quote