Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
played with a kindle today - tho sticking w/sony

So I played with a kindle (wifi version, latest version, the one that sells for 139 bucks) that my friend had bought. We compared sony and kindle side by side. some quick thoughts:

-the kindle is impressive, no question about it
-the kindle's price point is just about perfect
-wifi is nice esp for syncing, I wish sony would at least put wifi into the prs 650. I'm sure its in the works though. (I dont need 3g only cuz i dont plan on buying a lot of books spontaneously - dont have the cash for that!).

-the kindle form factor and screen are spectacular. Very very thin, lovely matte graphite skin. The screen is clearly the best out there, contrast-wise and in speed of page turns. Screen is flush with body.
-controls arent bad, not intuitive tho once you see how they work, they dont get in the way so much.
-auto-sync via wifi to all your kindle devices, including syncing notes, highlights, bookmarks, in the background and seamlessly: brilliant and convenient.

Cons:
-the built-in keyboard could be much, much better. Didnt like the keyboard much, could not type with any serviceable speed on it.
-lack of native support for epub and other formats. I would work a lot with epub, and kindle doesnt make that easy, introduces an extra conversion step via Calibre.

Naturally the thought crossed my mind: sell the sony at $239, get kindle at $139, save 100 bucks? At end of day I decided once again to stick with sony.

For my purposes:
-Sony 650 screen is plenty great, and plenty fast.
-Sony form factor is plenty thin, plenty attractive. Plenty light-weight.
-Wifi would be nice, very very nice. I can wait for the next version tho.
-Touch screen rocks in general, very responsive and intuitive

But its really the functionality that makes me stick with sony:
-write on page, write handwritten notes. I produce a lot of my own content (in an academic setting) while reading on the sony. The handwriting features allow me to capture spontaneous thoughts in an intuitive way that doesnt get in the way of my reading experience. This is important to me and my workflows. Beats a lousy keyboard most of the time. I dont mind transcribing those later, the transcribing session doubles as a review anyway.
-Multi-language dictionary - i'm learning french and german. The multi-lang dictionaries are terrific and allow me to step away from the computer while still doing real work - reading comprehension - on the ereader.
-native support for open formats rocks and is very useful in my work

I have to admit tho, on most features the sony and kindle were about even, and the $100 savings is a temptation. But sony throws in just enough extra flexibility and features to make me continue paying the $100 extra.

What I'd like to see on the sony going forward:
-would like to write notes faster (right now have to slow down while writing).
-ability to add tags to comments and highlights, and desktop software to sort by tags. **** This feature would rock.
-wifi if not 3g, esp for syncing with the desktop -- and thus also ability to take library books out while never leaving the sony reader. ****this feature would rock.
-more interactive content to take advantage of the touch screen -- for example, why not like a french language practice workbook? That gives me a multiple choice practice test? Where i tap the right answer on the screen itself? Possibilities realy open up with the touch screen and multi-lang dictionaries and Sony could really exploit those. They could also open up the sony to programmers and have a kind of 'app store' for such interactive experiences/books.

Its a close call tho because of the bargain price on the Kindle. But so long as sony continues to stay ahead with innovative features, it fits an academic/student better than the kindle in my view. Though just barely. The recent contrast/speed/weight improvements were definitely key for it to stay competitive on other fronts.

Last edited by ebooker; 10-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thanks for sharing this. The K3 keyboard doesn't look too bad, and I've spent lots of time playing with a few in my local Target and Best Buy, but it just isn't speed efficient. I've always felt I could adapt to any e-reader if I have to, but it would be too hard to part with the 650. Amazon is really going to have to convince me by a large margin with their next version of the Kindle to get me to switch from Sony.

What do you think about the recessed screen on the 650?
Here's the advantage - handwriting. I realized after a few note sessions that I have to avoid dragging my palm. I think the screen placement helps prevent it a lot of the time.

Are you using a case with your 650, ebooker?
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I have purchased both within the last few days...I too find the Sony much more intuitive, but the Kindle seems to have better contrast for reading with their fonts..I have tried to edit the fonts to make em darker on the 650 but all I seemed to have done was to have to reformat the Sony and loose most of its factory content !! Im still on the fence as to which one to return...For reading, and of course its completely subjective, I think the Kindle has a slight edge side by side....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsenglish View Post
Thanks for sharing this. The K3 keyboard doesn't look too bad, and I've spent lots of time playing with a few in my local Target and Best Buy, but it just isn't speed efficient. I've always felt I could adapt to any e-reader if I have to, but it would be too hard to part with the 650. Amazon is really going to have to convince me by a large margin with their next version of the Kindle to get me to switch from Sony.
yea i could not type well on it, it felt like cell phone thumb board, which in some ways it is. They could do a much better job on it. I've used some android phones on which I could type much faster and even use all fingers.

Quote:
What do you think about the recessed screen on the 650?
The recessed screen is interesting - cuz you get used to it while using the 650, and its only when confronted by something like the kindle, where the screen is almost totally flush with the case, that you realize just how recessed (relatively speaking) the screen on the 650 is. But when not comparing them side by side, I dont even notice the recessed screen.

I just picked up my 650 right now as I was typing this, and I have to say, I *adore* it! My complaints above (better writing/easier syncing) could apply to the ereader market in general, not just sony. Sony is on the cutting edge in even offering some version of these advanced features.

Tho I do believe that for the education market those features will be crucial, will need to be developed among ereaders generally.

Quote:
Here's the advantage - handwriting. I realized after a few note sessions that I have to avoid dragging my palm. I think the screen placement helps prevent it a lot of the time.
true. it has limited functionality right now but I do use it because it helps me write a phrase and move on rather than trying to type on the built-in keyb. that said, I just tried the 650's software keyb for a note, and I actually typed faster on it than on kindle's hardware keyb!
Quote:
Are you using a case with your 650, ebooker?
I got in just in time on the free lighted cover offer from sony (currently ongoing thru 10/30). Thats what I'll be using for now I guess.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
I have purchased both within the last few days...I too find the Sony much more intuitive, but the Kindle seems to have better contrast for reading with their fonts..I have tried to edit the fonts to make em darker on the 650 but all I seemed to have done was to have to reformat the Sony and loose most of its factory content !! Im still on the fence as to which one to return...For reading, and of course its completely subjective, I think the Kindle has a slight edge side by side....
ya its always a trade off. For me the other sony features offset the kindle-reading-edge.

I also think there's a point at which one can have too much contrast. One reason I initially liked e-ink so much was because it didnt have as much contrast as my computer monitor, which is precisely what made e-ink easier on the eyes. But the right level of contrast is a matter of taste I suppose.

Ultimately for me it comes back to being able to jot down my own comments more quickly and easily with the sony (and export them to an RTF file easily once i sync back). But if I were a "pure reader" i'd probably choose the $100 cheaper kindle. One has to want the extra features that sony provides to justify the $100. In my case, I do want them and I do use them, and I'd miss them if they were gone.
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Doesn't the Kindle and the PRS-650 use the exact same screen? Why would there be a contrast difference?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Doesn't the Kindle and the PRS-650 use the exact same screen? Why would there be a contrast difference?
i dont know, they did look different to us. maybe they werent. they were very close. Or maybe it was the darker fonts on the kindle, as someone mentioned above.

that said i personally have zero complaints about the 650 screen or fonts.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Do you think the case without the light would be more comfortable for casual reading or is the light usefull enough to justify itself?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Its the fonts on the Kindle that are slightly darker. (Not better, just darker)..It seems my tired eyes seem to gravitate more towards it....But I think the Kindle is going back to Staples this morning anyway..
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I didn't even realize the 650 was recessed. Maybe that just doesn't bother me. I felt the screens were the same but I didn't have them side by side. I just used a Kindle for 2 weeks and now the Sony. I would still have to sync the Kindle for my books anyways as most are PDF, self made (booklets), and other formats that I would have to convert to mobi. I have been using my Sony for editing my booklets and it is quite fun. I use the lighted cover (free from Borders) and it's a great little cover. I didn't have one for the Kindle.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
Do you think the case without the light would be more comfortable for casual reading or is the light usefull enough to justify itself?
It is a lot more comfortable with stock cover for me.
I have a very light portable light that I can clip to the cover if I need it. With standard cover the book reader is lighter, more portable, a lot easy to hold in your hands.
However, to each its own
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
personally i would prefer the case without the light, however right now that would cost another $35, while the case-with-light is free due to the promotion.
The reason i'd prefer the case-without-light: its lighter and slightly smaller, according to the sony website. (.29 lbs vs .66 lbs). And I never used a light much even with the old 600 version, I usually have enough ambient light in the room or with my bedside lamp.
But to each their own of course. Nice to have the choice.