Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Is a rooted Nook for me?

Will a rooted Nook allow folder organization of books on either internal memory or sd card?

My poor Sony's kaput, and $149 for a new Nook WIFI Reader sounds pretty sweet

I've rooted Android phones, so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.
JeffElkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I think that the new Nooks can not be soft rooted. The following is from the nookdevs website.

As of right now, Nooks with serial #s starting with 1003 (running firmware 1.4.1) cannot be rooted, and should NOT be attempted. See New_Hardware_Revision for more details

Read more: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot#ixzz138luKgrF

But if you were to find an older Nook soft rooting works great.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
If you do root a Nook you do gain the ability to organize content by folders.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
If you do root a Nook you do gain the ability to organize content by folders.
Thanks, everyone for the replies. The good news is that the newer Nooks are now rootable:

http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_New_Hardware

So at least that's sorted out. I won't be doing anything until after the big announcement, but the Nook is looking good.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If you have access to several B&N and Best Buy stores, I'd recommend checking to see if any have the 1002* serial number wifi Nooks, because they are much easier to root, and IMHO, they will probably remain easier to root after the 1.5 firmware release. At the moment, I can't recommend an unrooted Nook for anyone with a sizable side-loaded library. I don't believe B&N customer support has any inside information yet about the 1.5 firmware, but the press release reads as though B&N will not support searching and cataloging side-loaded content.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I also rooted to get the folder options and I was amazed at the additional sorting and viewing options that I have found to be even more useful. I can now zip through 145 pages of titles in seconds and they also added search to the titles section. Hari, the author of nookLibrary is a genius, and B&N should be ashamed for disabling these features.

Make sure you get the current version as the default softrooting version has older versions of a lot of its apps. Good luck finding an older version of the nook, the new version of softrooting looks interesting, but it is beyond my abilities.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
How does purchasing B&N books work with a rooted Nook? All I've ever done when buying a B&N book is to buy it online and then have it do a wireless download to my Nook. I am unfamiliar with the concept of side loading the B&N books another way.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The only difference between a stock Nook and a rooted Nook is that the rooted Nook has some programs installed on it that the stock Nook does not. If you buy books from B&N, they download automatically to your rooted Nook just as they would on the stock Nook. Side-loading just means you installed your books onto your Nook from your PC by one of several means. You can have them get installed from Adobe Digital Editions (for example, library books, or most books purchased at other ebookstores). Your Nook looks like one or two external drives on your PC, and you can copy files directly there with a file browser on your PC. You can use a ebook library program like Calibre on your PC, and it can download them to your Nook.

I think the most compelling reason for rooting the Nook is if you have lots of side-loaded content on your Nook, because the stock Nook only allows you to select these books by paging through the "My Documents" one page at a time, with books sorted by author or title. That's not so bad if you only buy books from B&N (as they so obviously want you to do), but if you have hundreds (or thousands, like me) of ebooks from elsewhere, then you are looking at clicking through potentially hundreds of pages to find the book you want. The rooted Nook has a very nice replacement library application which allows you to search all books, not just B&N books by author, by title, by keywords in the description, and by cover. There's also a file browser, an improved music player, and several other goodies.

The original Nooks, the ones which are currently running firmware version 1.4.0, are pretty easy to root. You need an external microSDHC card, and you need to copy a couple of files to your Nook and follow some simple directions. The newer Nooks, with firmware versions of 1.4.1 and above, apparently can be rooted by someone with a strong computer technical skills, but I think it's beyond most people with casual computer skills.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 10-23-2010 at 12:04 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
JeffElkins
Guru

New nook owner

I'm now the proud owner of a freshly rooted Nook 3g/wifi S/N: 10038, Firmware 1.4.2.

Thanks everyone, for the feedback and advice.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Chisaiyama
Curmudgeonus Maximus
Chisaiyama began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite, Nook, EB-1150, Axim X51v, Aluratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think the most compelling reason for rooting the Nook is if you have lots of side-loaded content on your Nook, because the stock Nook only allows you to select these books by paging through the "My Documents" one page at a time, with books sorted by author or title. That's not so bad if you only buy books from B&N (as they so obviously want you to do), but if you have hundreds (or thousands, like me) of ebooks from elsewhere, then you are looking at clicking through potentially hundreds of pages to find the book you want. The rooted Nook has a very nice replacement library application which allows you to search all books, not just B&N books by author, by title, by keywords in the description, and by cover. There's also a file browser, an improved music player, and several other goodies.
I have over 1700 sideloaded books and I apprecate your point on clicking through the pages of book listings. That being said I tried the SoftRooting procedure but once it was complete the softrooted nook wouldn't see all of my books. Out of the 1700 all it saw was 977 and that included the B&N books, so it only saw 895 of my sideloaded books. Actually in fact the B&N library function did better as it could see my 82 B&N books plus 902 of my sideloaded books.

I tried several different things to get either program to see more of the books to no avail. I ultimately had to revert to the stock 1.4.0 software to get my books back into availability. Have you had any such problems with your softrooted nook and if so how did you overcome them? I would really like to give it another go.
Chisaiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisaiyama View Post
I have over 1700 sideloaded books and I apprecate your point on clicking through the pages of book listings. That being said I tried the SoftRooting procedure but once it was complete the softrooted nook wouldn't see all of my books. Out of the 1700 all it saw was 977 and that included the B&N books, so it only saw 895 of my sideloaded books. Actually in fact the B&N library function did better as it could see my 82 B&N books plus 902 of my sideloaded books.

I tried several different things to get either program to see more of the books to no avail. I ultimately had to revert to the stock 1.4.0 software to get my books back into availability. Have you had any such problems with your softrooted nook and if so how did you overcome them? I would really like to give it another go.
See here.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
anyone know why some of the icons on the launcher are really small, for like Task Manager and Nook Market? I even tried using some of the custom icons, and they don't even change.
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Will softrooting work on the new color Nook?

I would love to get it, but have hundreds of books to sideload from Calibre - scrolling through the Documents a page at a time is a deal killer for me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Almost certainly not in the form it exists now. The Nook Color is pretty much guaranteed to be a separate firmware from the e-ink Nook. With the great specs and low price I would be surprised if it didn't get rooted fairly quickly once it comes out, however.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote