Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #406
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thank you for correcting my error. I was unaware MR had a server in the US. I must not have run across a US only PD material.
Pretty much all the short SF stories on PG fall into that category. They're stories which were printed in magazines, mostly in the 1950s, and didn't have their copyright renewed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #407
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
What is the status of the bulk of Georgette Heyer's Regency romances? I see a single work by her in the library, but there are an awful lot that aren't. I went through a phase in my youth when I read dozens of these, but I'm not sure what the copyright status is now, and if any more might be available?

Thanks,
Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #408
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
What is the status of the bulk of Georgette Heyer's Regency romances? I see a single work by her in the library, but there are an awful lot that aren't. I went through a phase in my youth when I read dozens of these, but I'm not sure what the copyright status is now, and if any more might be available?

Thanks,
Charlie.
She died in 1974, so her work is still under copyright, I assume.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #409
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Thanks,
Charlie.
The Black Moth is available here because it is in the US public domain having been published in 1921.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #410
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But unfortunately Charlie is in Canada, not the US, and even that one book is still protected by Canadian copyright, so it would not be legal to download it in Canada.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #411
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Correct, Harry. Though since I regularly travel to the US for work, I could certainly download it and read it while there. It's an interesting grey area for me, since I have both US and Canadian Amazon (and Audible) accounts, maintain a US credit card, and regularly travel to the Seattle area.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #412
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Correct, Harry. Though since I regularly travel to the US for work, I could certainly download it and read it while there.
You can read it anywhere[*], once you download it in the US. Otherwise, you'd have to leave all your public-domain-in-Canada-but-not-in-the-US books home when you travel (and I mean both ebooks and paper books). It's only the act of copying (including copying from the net to your computer) and distributing works that's affected by copyright, carrying your legally acquired copies to and fro is not a problem.

* Except maybe in some oppresive countries.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #413
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You can read it anywhere[*], once you download it in the US. Otherwise, you'd have to leave all your public-domain-in-Canada-but-not-in-the-US books home when you travel (and I mean both ebooks and paper books). It's only the act of copying (including copying from the net to your computer) and distributing works that's affected by copyright, carrying your legally acquired copies to and fro is not a problem.
It's an interesting point. As you very rightly say, it would be absolutely fine to download it in the US and take it back to Canada. But, technically speaking, you'd then be breaking Canadian copyright law if you were to, say, copy it from your PC to an eBook reader while in Canada .
Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #414
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, technically speaking, you'd then be breaking Canadian copyright law if you were to, say, copy it from your PC to an eBook reader while in Canada .
Isn't there fair/personal use under Canadian law? In Spain, at least, it's not a copyright infringement if you make copies for personal use (or even if you distribute it not for profit, but that's a different matter).
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #415
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm absolutely certain that something like that would be considered "fair use" anywhere. I was only kidding about it .
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #416
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Is Nevil Shute out of copyright in Canada now since he died in 1960?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #417
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If he died in 1960, his books (as of 1st Jan 2011) are now in the Canadian public domain.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #418
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Device: Kindle
It doesn't appear anyone's posted a request since late last year, so permit me to make one for the New Year

Ford Madox Ford's masterpiece tetralogy "Parade's End".

I've read and adored it in hard copy, and would be thrilled to read it on ebook. I *think* the books are now public domain, but for some reason haven't been able to find them. A perfect project for HarryT, now that he's polished off his superb Trollope omnibuses.

Here's hoping/begging...
Rajmahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #419
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
It doesn't appear anyone's posted a request since late last year, so permit me to make one for the New Year

Ford Madox Ford's masterpiece tetralogy "Parade's End".

I've read and adored it in hard copy, and would be thrilled to read it on ebook. I *think* the books are now public domain, but for some reason haven't been able to find them. A perfect project for HarryT, now that he's polished off his superb Trollope omnibuses.

Here's hoping/begging...
tha can always have a go at it yourself ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #420
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

That is public domain in Canada and in Europe (Ford died in 1939), but not in the US (they were published shortly after 1923). So, we can host it at MobileRead, and even HarryT could upload it from the UK... But we'd have to find at least some scans first (or someone should scan the books) and do the OCR, etc. Sites like Project Gutenberg or The Internet Archive are mostly US-based, so they can't have this text, and therefore we can't get it from them.