Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Bigbang
Bigbang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can Kindle 2 display Vietnamse?

Hi all,
I'm planning to get the K2 and would like to know whether it can properly display Unicode Vietnamese fonts (PDFs and .prc) as one of the prequisites prior to pulling the trigger. Could some K2 owner kindly test this and post the results?
Bigbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbang View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning to get the K2 and would like to know whether it can properly display Unicode Vietnamese fonts (PDFs and .prc) as one of the prequisites prior to pulling the trigger. Could some K2 owner kindly test this and post the results?
You could also contact Kindle support and they could tell you.

"Our live customer service associates are available from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week. You can also reach us by calling one of these numbers: Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851; Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927."

I notice you posted this on the Amazon discussion pages, and it seems it was answered there.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Kindle-0-d...sin=B00154JDAI
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
My manicurist sure wants to know that as well!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Bigbang

@grandma: it wasn't quite answered there, it was a K1 owner trying a txt file, I'd like to have if possible a K2 result with prc and pdfs.

@krisk: That was uncalled for as a first reply to a new poster and I don't think "your manicurist" would appreciate that lowbrow joke.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Still no far east asian languages (or more precisely, Kindle doesn't have font that contain the far east asian glyphs). this applies to both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2.

Email Amazon to suggest what you want to see.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Bigbang

Vietnamese is not glyphic but Latin based. I'll next email Amazon customer support, but if they are anything like so many companies' customer service/tech support out there I don't expect to get any reliable info when thing gets a little technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Still no far east asian languages (or more precisely, Kindle doesn't have font that contain the far east asian glyphs). this applies to both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2.

Email Amazon to suggest what you want to see.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
kindle2-feedback [at] amazon.com <-- Not exactly customer support but feedback channel for the product.

I didn't know Vietnamese is not glyph based. Do you have a handy reference to which code plane Vietnamese sit in Unicode?

[VN.net hosts a a group of “designed-for-Vietnamese” Unicode fonts. These fonts have proper diacritic positioning and the increased linespacing required for readable Vietnamese typography. Fonts which are currently available on the site include the Tri-Chlor set, and the Web Fonts set. These font sets feature the 134 Vietnamese glyphs (ký tự Việt trong Unicode) and additional 38 Pali-Sanskrit Glyphs (ký tự Phạn Pali-Sanskrit trong Unicode) required by the Unicode Standard. Float marks, the euro and Vietnamese đồng currency symbols, and the Buddhist wheels, U+ee80 and U+ee81, are also included.] <- reference : http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/

Update: If you would like to generate a text file and attach it to the forum, I can try to see if I can read it on my Kindle 2.

Last edited by stevenmoy; 03-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Hi all,
If you have a sample I can try it and post some screen grabs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Bigbang

Thanks steven. I'll try contact Amazon although I have little hope that they can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Do you have a handy reference to which code plane Vietnamese sit in Unicode?

Sorry, no I don't know.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

@krisk: That was uncalled for as a first reply to a new poster and I don't think "your manicurist" would appreciate that lowbrow joke.
See, my thought was she was showing it to her manicurist who wanted it to read vietnamese also.

I didn't see the joke part until you brought it up.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Bigbang

Thanks daffy.
I can send you a prc formatted book (~400k). Pls pm me your email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If you have a sample I can try it and post some screen grabs.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
@grandma: it wasn't quite answered there, it was a K1 owner trying a txt file, I'd like to have if possible a K2 result with prc and pdfs.

Oh! Hello Miss out of f*cking line!!!! My Manicurist IS VIetnamese, and is totally in love with my Kindle. Her husband owns the shop, and he and I have been friendly for years. When some local Vietnamese families were robbed he asked me to help him purchase a pistol (he knows I teach gun safety). We spent several weeks at the range teaching him how to shoot, and then I took him to several different ranges and shops where he could try out different types of pistols.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Bigbang

Hello to you too. Nice greeting you have there. Teaching gun safety with your temper could be disastrous for both parties. Anyway, from your story it is obvious this is due from a misunderstanding from my part. My bad. BTW, I used to be a pretty good shot with a Carbine myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
Oh! Hello Miss out of f*cking line!!!! My Manicurist IS VIetnamese, and is totally in love with my Kindle. Her husband owns the shop, and he and I have been friendly for years. When some local Vietnamese families were robbed he asked me to help him purchase a pistol (he knows I teach gun safety). We spent several weeks at the range teaching him how to shoot, and then I took him to several different ranges and shops where he could try out different types of pistols.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Hello to you too. Nice greeting you have there. Teaching gun safety with your temper could be disastrous for both parties. Anyway, from your story it is obvious this is due from a misunderstanding from my part. My bad. BTW, I used to be a pretty good shot with a Carbine myself.
"Dear Lord,

Please do not let the two posters below ever meet in person.
Thank you,
DG"

Okay, misunderstanding understood, now play nice.

If I can do it, YOU can do it !
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe you both should put each other on ignore and move on. This has gone over the top.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote