Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #436
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know that the cloud is just the same old Amazon server that's been there holding your eBooks? It's now called the cloud, but it's no different then what Amazon used before calling it the cloud. It's not really cloud storage as it is Amazon storing your eBooks for you.
A server holding data, data that the users are able to access at all times over the internet rather than on a local network. Isn't that the definition of cloud storage?

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #437
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I honestly have no idea how I ever did housework, or long cooking prep (which is now downright pleasant) before I discovered nice long audiobooks.

(And TTS, although I've used that less--only the built-in on my KK. It never occurred to me to try it on my phone or iPad--I'll have to look into that.)
Once you get used to the robotic voice it isn't all that bad. Some of the pronunciations are quite humorous!

As to the topic of the thread, my PW is finally shipping. Should be here early next week!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #438
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A server holding data, data that the users are able to access at all times over the internet rather than on a local network. Isn't that the definition of cloud storage?
But, before the term cloud was defined to have a computer usage, it was just a server on the net. Nothing really new. The only thing that is new is the user side syncing software.

To be cloud storage, there has to be user side syncing software. Given that Amazon's eBooks server doesn't actually have such software, it's not really cloud storage. I cannot download any software to allow me to add to my Kindle library without buying more free or paid eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #439
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
It would just be a lot easier to take a quick shower and then read after drying off. Sitting and reading in dirty water is not my idea of fun.
Totally off topic here but in Japan we shower first and then soak in the in the bath. I would assume most civilized places do it that way as well.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #440
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Totally off topic here but in Japan we shower first and then soak in the in the bath. I would assume most civilized places do it that way as well.
Here in the US, some bathe first and then shower off. When I used to bathe, I'd shower after. But now, I just shower. It's just a larger water & gas bill to bathe/shower.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #441
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
The hardware can be great, but if the software isn't so good, then the reading experience won't be satisfying.
That is true! I do agree ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #442
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I'm a girl. I don't make bathwater dirty. The tub is full of flowers and rainbows when I get out.

(Seriously, long-bubble-bath-lover here, never occurred to me to try a ziploc. I have a little bluetooth speaker in the bathroom, I switch to audiobooks from my iphone when bathing. God forbid I pass a moment without some sort of entertainment.)
I never really thought about it, but when I take a bath, it's not because I need a shower, I usually want to soak my muscles in epsom salt and while I'm soaking, I may as well enjoy some aromatherapy, soft music, candles and read from my Sony 700 (soon Kindle PW).

Quote:
I honestly have no idea how I ever did housework, or long cooking prep (which is now downright pleasant) before I discovered nice long audiobooks.
I'm right there with you. I'm assuming I used to listen to music, but it's been so long, I'm not sure.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #443
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitlenz View Post
Did anyone notice landscape mode?! Awesome! With the case I have I just lay it on the table and read lol. I know it's weird since you don't do it with a real paperback book but screw it. It's a feature for me lol.
Can you or anyone else tell me if you can rotate the PW to landscape mode in each direction?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #444
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Can you or anyone else tell me if you can rotate the PW to landscape mode in each direction?
No, only one, counterclockwise.

And if I recall well, the only Kindle (eink, of course) that rotates in any direction is or was the Kindle DXG .

Last edited by jocampo; 10-06-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #445
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
So, my PW arrived today and I may go for a replacement because of the following:
I can see a very bright light spot in the lower left hand corner no matter what light setting I use. It bothers me because I have to look past it to read the screen, so I have to cover it with my finger. Not good! It is next to the bezel and spans across two rows of text and the progress area. No matter which way I turn the kindle, I can still see it. It is just so darn bright. I wonder if the light diode was misinstalled. Maybe because of this, the top left corner is also a bit too bright. The area is much smaller in the top corner, but it's bright, so bothers my eyes. This is noticeable at all light settings and unpleasant to the eyes causing eye strain above level 1.
There is also a blotchy type of bright spot as reported by others about the size of a thumb print in the right half of the screen at the bottom, but that I could live with if it weren't for the other two.

Also, not a biggie because I will probably never see this again, but I had three dead pixels in the lower half of the screen that I could see because of the Kindle still image displayed during setup. I took a picture that I'll post tomorrow.

Other than that, and apart from missing page turn buttons and constantly flipping pages by accident, I love the interface, {...though wish it would not include any editor's picks...} ->used method described on p24 of this thread and they're now gone, and I love the screen resolution and the screen surface.
I also have a K4B and was a bit bummed when I held both screens next to each other: the contrast is better on the K4B, the fonts a blacker, while they are a bit more washed out on the PW. That was with the light on the PW turend "off", which is not really off, because it is still lit. Maybe the light is causing the washout, I don't know....

I'll post pics tomorrow - of them next to each other and next to my K4S.
Anyone else have issues with the light diode in the left hand lower corner?
See attached pictures, unfortunately taken with my iPad, so you can't see the three dead pixels and how bright the spots really are in the first pic.
In the second one, left to right: K4S, K4B, PW light at level 0. The pic is a bit deceptive, as the font on the K4S is definitely not as black as on the K4B, but you get a good idea of the background brightness and hue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pw1.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	93568   Click image for larger version

Name:	pw2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	93569  
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #446
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

And if I recall well, the only Kindle (eink, of course) that rotates in any direction is or was the Kindle DXG .
I just took a look at my K3 and it can rotate in any direction.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #447
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I believe there's a jailbreak for Kindle Touch that turns on the accelerometer and lets you orient in any direction. It seems kind of odd that Amazon has never enabled it. Same with the microphone in KK & KT. I guess they are just hedging their bets in case a competitor delivers such features.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #448
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Thank you for the info. That is very disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe there's a jailbreak for Kindle Touch that turns on the accelerometer and lets you orient in any direction. It seems kind of odd that Amazon has never enabled it. Same with the microphone in KK & KT. I guess they are just hedging their bets in case a competitor delivers such features.
I wonder if this is something that will be able to be fixed with a jailbreak in the future? Does anyone know if it's likely?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #449
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you for the info. That is very disappointing.
May I know why?

Unless you're using a case that folds in an specific way, I don't see where the problem is ...

And most cases noticed that anyway and were designed with that in mind.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #450
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Hmmm, not the Kindle Touch 3G or PW ...

I sold my Kindle Keyboard, so can't confirm.