Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Valdieron
Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
ISBN Question

Hi all,

Just a quick question. If my eBook already has an ISBN thru amazon.com, do I need a different one if I publish thru the likes of smashwords, or do I just use the same one?

Cheers,
Robert
Valdieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Nope, you can use the same ISBN anywhere you go. The only time you have to change ISBN's is if the book is made into a different media format. Now ISBN's can be shared between ebooks and print books as they're the same thing, with only the method of distribution being different. But with audiobooks and other derivatives you need either separate ISBN's or whatever form of identification the particular media requires.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Valdieron
Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Valdieron can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thought so.

Thanks mate.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Cait London
Cait London
Cait London began at the beginning.

Device: none
Steve, do you have a URL for that ISBN info? In print books, each publisher has their own ISBN, so if amazon publishes yours, and Smashwords is the publisher elsewhere, wouldn't Smashwords' ISBNs be on it?

Yes, I know you can buy them from Smashwords. I'd just like to read more on that as I have print books by traditional publishers, lifting up reverted rights to epub now.

Thank you,
L.E. Klein
Cait London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Valdieron

Difference between ISBN and ASIN?

My kindle version actually has an ASIN rather than an ISBN.
So I assume for Smashbook purposes I will need to register an ISBN for my book as well? Will this conflict with amazon and their ASIN?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Valdieron: ASIN is to media products what ISBN is to book. Most ebooks I've seen simply use an ISBN, which is what you really should use.

Cait London: You can't publish the same book through two different publishers at the same time, so when I said he could use the same ISBN on Amazon, I was referring to the distribution, as once it's published under one ISBN, the book can't be issued a second one until the first is marked as "out of print".
Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
If I publish at Smashwords and get an ISBN there, then I publish at B&N via PubIt and get an ISBN there, I'm essentially publishing in two places at a time with two separate ISBNs. Smashwords, however, wants that edition specifically marked as Smashwords Edition.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Well, Boker and the Fed look down on having two ISBN's on the same book. So if you already have one, as long as it's a valid ISBN and not a private one, then that's all you'll need. Now there is the possibility that what B&N and Smashwords are doing is issuing private ISBN's, which they're allowed to do, but really they're PSBN's and not ISBN's, since the ISBN is internationally recognized, and PSBN is recognized only locally on the issuing site. So be sure what you get. ASIN is sorta the same thing with private and international versions. Another thing to consider is that regular bookstores won't recognize PSBN's. Only ISBN's. So be sure that if you get a number from B&N or Smashwords that it's a real, live ISBN.