Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question Kindle KJV Bible for a senior citizen?

After many years of me trying to convince my grandmother that an ebook reader with adjustable font size would be ideal for her, she *finally* seems to be willing to try it. I think it's gotten to the point where her arthritis makes it hard for her to hold both a book and a magnifying glass. (She's turning 102 next March, and tended a vegetable garden until she was 98).

The problem is that she knows literally nothing about tech, so I think my best option for finding a reader that she'll be able to handle (with some assistance) will be a Kindle Keyboard with 3G, so that she doesn't have to try to work a touchscreen, and doesn't have to go on the internet to get books.

Assuming I find one of these, then I'll want to line her up with content. Knowing her, item #1 on her list will be the Bible. Does anybody have a pointer to a (KJV) version that's easy to navigate, search, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Curt
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
After many years of me trying to convince my grandmother that an ebook reader with adjustable font size would be ideal for her, she *finally* seems to be willing to try it. I think it's gotten to the point where her arthritis makes it hard for her to hold both a book and a magnifying glass. (She's turning 102 next March, and tended a vegetable garden until she was 98).

The problem is that she knows literally nothing about tech, so I think my best option for finding a reader that she'll be able to handle (with some assistance) will be a Kindle Keyboard with 3G, so that she doesn't have to try to work a touchscreen, and doesn't have to go on the internet to get books.

Assuming I find one of these, then I'll want to line her up with content. Knowing her, item #1 on her list will be the Bible. Does anybody have a pointer to a (KJV) version that's easy to navigate, search, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Curt
I like this one. I use it on my Kindle PaperWhite but I have also used it on my Kindle Keyboard as well in the past.
Click
It works well with This Bible Encyclopedia as well.

Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I like this one. I use it on my Kindle PaperWhite but I have also used it on my Kindle Keyboard as well in the past.
Click
It works well with This Bible Encyclopedia as well.

Click
Cool, thanks! Now to prowl craigslist for that Kindle.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Cool, thanks! Now to prowl craigslist for that Kindle.
I'd go with one from Amazon instead. There have been cases of people buying from Craigslist and Ebay in the past only to find that they have bought a bricked Kindle that has been listed as lost or stolen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'd go with one from Amazon instead. There have been cases of people buying from Craigslist and Ebay in the past only to find that they have bought a bricked Kindle that has been listed as lost or stolen.
Yeah, I guess the good thing about a 3G model is that it's possible to check registration/lockout status before shelling over $$.
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
When I was looking for a Bible on my Kindle I found that the OSNova published versions were the easiest to get around in. Might want to try them out.

2 options for KJV (paragraphed or 1 v/line)
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-navigati.../dp/B0030T1DPY
or
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-navigati.../dp/B002TG4P8Q

There is also a version with the Apocrypha:
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Apocryph.../dp/B004IEAA4K

He is also a member here, this is his self-promo page: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59871
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote