Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
DerSchwarzePrinz
Enthusiast
DerSchwarzePrinz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Reader does not start anymore - battery dead?

The device does not start anymore.
I had it working for around one year without problems. However it was bought on 11.2013, but used beginning of 04.2015.

If I press the power button nothing happens.
If I press the reset button and afterwards the power butten the only thing I get is 6 yellow flashes of the led.
Nothing on the display or something.
I charged the reader with the charger for several hours (the red led is on for some minutes).
I charged the reader via USB for several hours.
Nothing helps.
Is is possible that the battery is dead? How can I check it (battery voltage?).
If this is the case I found on ebay Germany and UK a replacement battery for around 12 EUR and I will swap it (soldering required, I know).

Any ideas?
DerSchwarzePrinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
You might need to hard reset. I've not owned the T3, but my T1 needed a hard reset quite frequently. If memory serves, I held the buttons down for a really long time to get it to start the reset process.

From Sony's old site:

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on your Reader™ device:

With the Reader powered on, on the bottom of the device, press and hold the Power button until the Device Shutdown screen appears.
In the Device Shutdown screen, press Yes .
Press the Power button again to turn the Reader on.
While the screen displays opening book..... , simultaneously press and hold down the Page Turn (Next) and Back buttons.

Allow the Home screen to fully load (Loading... should no longer flash in the top left corner of your screen) and then do the following button sequence while still holding down the Page Turn (Next) and Back buttons:
Release - Press - Release the Back button only and then Release the Page Turn (Next) button.
In the Would you like to execute Factory Initialize screen, press Yes .
Press the Power button again to turn on the Reader. The Reader will be set to factory settings.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerSchwarzePrinz View Post
The device does not start anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
With the Reader powered on, ...
This seems to be the problem

It (almost) happened to me with my long unused T1, but luckily it started to charge (it was as stubborn as a talented mule, but finally it accepted the charger). Then it worked normally.

I suggest you let the battery charge, even if it seems to be dead in the first place. You may play with the power button once in a while.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
DerSchwarzePrinz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
This seems to be the problem

It (almost) happened to me with my long unused T1, but luckily it started to charge (it was as stubborn as a talented mule, but finally it accepted the charger). Then it worked normally.

I suggest you let the battery charge, even if it seems to be dead in the first place. You may play with the power button once in a while.
Thanks. I try that, because there is no display reaction whatsoever.

But I wonder what these 6 yellow flashes mean. Is there no "error code" documentiaon available?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #5
DerSchwarzePrinz
Enthusiast

I found the cause. The display was defective.
I ordered a new one via AliExpress (around 30€) and replaced it.

A good replacement guide: https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Rea...lacement/39534
The removement of the old screen was very time comsuming, because it was clued firm to the metal plate.

Now the reader works again!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I will be so sad the day my T3 doesn't work anymore. By far, my most favorite ereader. I also have a T1 and that one is quirky. Requires resetting frequently.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:06 AM   #7
Carl
Carl began at the beginning.

Device: psr-t3
Hi SchwarzerPrinz,
how did you find out that the display is broken?
I have a similar error with my psr-t3 but the last displayed page is still visible.
If i press the reset button, i will also count six yellow flashes of the light.
But it's probably ready for the trash because there are no replacement parts available.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:10 AM   #8
DerSchwarzePrinz
Enthusiast

Hi Carl,
It was a trial by chance and it worked.
However, in 2020 I bought a new reader, a tolino shine 3.