Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Wifi connection gone

I have had some problems with my internet connection through this computer. So I downloaded Avast and did a scan. Then I entered my router and changed from WEP to WPA (I'm out in the woods) I changed SSID and rebooted. I am accessing this through WiFi on my laptop. No problem, the PC connected with cable to the router works just fine.

Obviously the K3 no longer found the earlier WiFi network, but it does see the renamed one, I click connect and enter the new password a mix of alphanumeric capital and small letters. Yet, it refuses to connect. In settings it is still DHCP, WPA for encryption and the correct password.

I also did a soft reboot just to be safe.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Pulled the plug on the router, and now it connected automatically. Still would like to know why it refused when I tried accessing from the Kindle though.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-12-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It was probably the router since a reboot solved it. I have a very old router and if I want to maintain connections I have to assign static IP addresses or I am forced to reboot both the router and the device that can't connect to the router. I was having to reboot frequently so I went to static IPs and haven't had any major problems.

There is probably some table in the router that doesn't get updated and doesn't allow your dynamic IP address to work. It doesn't necessarily affect all dynamic IPs either. Consumer grade routers aren't very sophisticated machines.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Is your router fixed to a specific channel or is it on auto? In the US, WiFi channels only go up to 11 whilst in Europe it is up to 13. If your router decided on channel 13 and if the Kindle has the WiFi region set to US then it won't see it. When you restarted the router, it has probably chosen another channel.

Do 711 from the settings screen. My Kindle used to say UK or EU but at the moment it says <unknown> for country.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Is your router fixed to a specific channel or is it on auto? In the US, WiFi channels only go up to 11 whilst in Europe it is up to 13. If your router decided on channel 13 and if the Kindle has the WiFi region set to US then it won't see it. When you restarted the router, it has probably chosen another channel.

Do 711 from the settings screen. My Kindle used to say UK or EU but at the moment it says <unknown> for country.
Excellent advice. I didn't know there was a difference.
Karma to you!
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote