Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
gabrielalt
gabrielalt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Academic references when on eBook

Greetings,

I'm finishing an academic book and I needed to update quotations I had made previously from an older book from a specific author. There's a new edition that was just published on the subject I'm researching, that has updated text revision, and I wanted to use this text as a reference for my quotations. However, I had only access to the eBook version of the work, an Adobe Digital Editions version.

My question is: could I quote normally using the pages of the ADE edition, specifying such on the references/bibliography page, or should I use the original page numbers of the paper edition (which I don't have)? Are there any losses for the work if I decide to use the ADE edition? Are the print versions prefered over the ADE versions, or that question doesn't apply anymore in our day and age of ebook dissemination? Hope to hear any hints from you.

Thanks in advance.

g.alt

Last edited by gabrielalt; 04-11-2014 at 05:42 AM.
gabrielalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should ask your publisher; they will be able to advise what their standards are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
gabrielalt

Thanks for the reply. There's no problem for the publisher. I ask generally if the format is regularly accepted as a reliable source nowadays.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielalt View Post
Thanks for the reply. There's no problem for the publisher. I ask generally if the format is regularly accepted as a reliable source nowadays.
I'm currently doing a part-time degree in Egyptology with Manchester University here in the UK, and they are certainly happy to accept references to ebooks in academic essays, if that's of any help. As you know, the point of any reference is to allow the reader to go back to the source themselves, and as long as you include sufficient information to allow that to be done, I don't see any problem.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
gabrielalt

That's great to hear. What was worrying me was that the print book and the ebook doesn't share the same page numbers. I thought on including only chapter names and section numbers, but that would result in a large in-text reference (maybe if I switch to footnotes). What I really like about ADE ebooks is that we can easily highlight the text and find passagens, so it's easy for anyone reading the references to go through the ebook and look them up.

Thanks once again.
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd think it would be easier to cite references using the paper books page numbers than in the ebook version. I mean how many pages a book has can vary with the font size and type as far as ebook versions I would think, and that would make it harder to know what page to turn to.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The OP did say "ADE page numbers". They are common to all ADE devices, and are independent of screen size or font size.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
gabrielalt

Yes, what I like about ADE editions is that they have a standard format for each ebook, including a fixed page number. If you change font size, the page numbers will stay the same, just as in a print book. The problem is just they aren't the same page numbers as the print book. I decided to make explicit the section I'm referring, and giving the reference to the ADE edition. This way, someone with the print copy can refer back to the section and look out for the quoted passage.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
This might be helpful:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/10/

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/09/
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote