Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
APPLE iPAD E-reader vs Jetbook Video

new video on Youtube:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Gee... shocking that this comparison was made.

Two things...

1. I'm pretty sure the iPad has more than two font sizes. The big A increases the font (press it more than once if you want) and the little A decreses the font size.

2. I really love my kindle... but I think I have read it outside... maybe once. But, certainly have a sun friendly reader available for reading outside...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That either belongs in the Apple or jetbook forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Two things...

1. I'm pretty sure the iPad has more than two font sizes. The big A increases the font (press it more than once if you want) and the little A decreses the font size.

2. I really love my kindle... but I think I have read it outside... maybe once. But, certainly have a sun friendly reader available for reading outside...

BOb
Yep, more than one font size. And I'm with you on two. I'm not going outside unless I'm going somewhere or doing something like fishing or hiking.

I can't remember the last time I had any desire to sit in the sun and do anything. I've definitely never read my Kindle in the sunlight in the yar+ I've had it. Between my allergies, hatred of hot weather, and pale skin that burns very quickly in direct sun light I avoid the outdoors as much as possible.

But yeah, LCD readers won't be ideal for people who enjoy reading outside.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That either belongs in the Apple or jetbook forum.
Kobo E-reader Videos belongs to
MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News...
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since this is a comparison between two readers... I have moved the thread to Which Should I buy... since it wasn't specific to either device... nor was it really news. The kobo software release and video was news about the Kobo software. This video doesn't really provide any new information it just demonstrates what we all know to be true about backlight LCD screens, thy suck outside.

BOb
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

2. I really love my kindle... but I think I have read it outside... maybe once.
Wow ... that is really sad, Bob you need to get out more.

I use to think I only read inside and use to scoff when I heard people talk about how important it was to be able to read outside. But then I started paying attention to where I read and realized I do read outside quite often.

Of course living in Southern California might have something to do with it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I think it's a useful comparison, and a fair one, when one is considering readability of eBooks outdoors. He could have gone on and compared weight and size, and number of hands needed to operate the devices, but I guess that was obvious from the video.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow ... that is really sad, Bob you need to get out more.
You misunderstand. When I am out, I do not have my nose in a book, er Kindle.

BOb
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Quote:

Yea reviews like this are popping up all over the place. Here is a really written review of the iPad as an eReader. http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010...-e-reader.html

Ultimately, if you're looking for a device primarily to read e-books on, the iPad is likely a bad move. It's more expensive than most other e-readers, and it's less usable in a broad range of lighting conditions. But if you're a light reader who doesn't mind a little extra weight in your hands, and you want something that does way more than download and display text, the iPad is a remarkable option.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
Yea reviews like this are popping up all over the place. Here is a really written review of the iPad as an eReader. http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010...-e-reader.html
yes, good article

Unfortunately, the touch screen is so highly reflective that it kicks up a vicious glare in a well-lit room, and practically doubles as a mirror in full sunlight. As much as I love gazing at my own handsome mug, I'm quite sure I didn't need to spend $499 for the privilege.
What I did notice was a serious problem with the iPad's light sensor: It doesn't seem to work at all. Moving from bright sunlight to a darkened room triggered no change in the brightness of the screen, despite my having enabled the Auto-Brightness setting. (I confirmed this problem on a second iPad.) Worse yet, when I used the in-app brightness controls in iBooks, the iBooks settings altered the brightness for the desktop and other apps. Obviously, Apple has some patching to do here, and we can only hope to see the problem corrected soon.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
i think its a fair review. there really was a lot of hype that apple would "change the market" for ereaders....apparently that really wasnt the case.

even though it looks cool, i dont think i would have practical use for an ipad. i read and i like my jetBook. plus every month a vacation in either DR or Mexico so im in the sun with my jetBook all day PilotBob
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
Ultimately, if you're looking for a device primarily to read e-books on, the iPad is likely a bad move. It's more expensive than most other e-readers, and it's less usable in a broad range of lighting conditions. But if you're a light reader who doesn't mind a little extra weight in your hands, and you want something that does way more than download and display text, the iPad is a remarkable option.
Yep, I agree with you. The iPad as a dedicated e-reader is not the way to go. On the video once the guy went outside all I could see on the iPad were finger marks. Just further proof why I don't believe in touch screen readers, hard enough to focus and concentrate on text, don't need to be presented with the hurdles of finger prints as well
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Yep, I agree with you. The iPad as a dedicated e-reader is not the way to go. On the video once the guy went outside all I could see on the iPad were finger marks. Just further proof why I don't believe in touch screen readers, hard enough to focus and concentrate on text, don't need to be presented with the hurdles of finger prints as well
That is why I like the Wacom screens. Touch is great for quick navigation (when reading newspapers, for example) and for taking notes. But you don't want a touch layer over the screen and you do not want your fingerprints on the screen.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-07-2010 at 12:29 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Talking

One point this video high lights is the siZe and bulk of the Ipad It's large, glossy and heavy for long hand held reads and outside it a zero. 3rd most important reasons I got my Aluratek Libre pro was nice compact take anywhere size. I can easily fit the Libre in my front or rear pants pocket or jacket pocket and it not very heavy to carry so there's no reason not to take the libre everywhere it's has even saved me from going postal during some horriblely slow service at several restaurants . Naturally for me the 1st most important reason for getting the Libre was the excellent readability of the lcd screen (same as the jetbook's) and the second was the Libre Pro's support of drm books. And I do like to read in all different sorts of light environments, indoors in good lighting , out doors in bright sunlight , indoors with natural light from a window, at night with bed stand lamp(tilt libre a bit in the direct of the light source it works well) Why is it people want the can do everything tech device it ends up being like the victorinox champion swiss army knife,its got 52 blades, scissors, files, saws, pens, toothpicks, awls, and the kitchen sink, its bulky, awkward, is expert at nothing and does nothing well (like Ipad shaky wifi) .Where as the Libre/jetbook are excellent e readers
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote