Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2016, 03:31 AM   #1
bunglegrind
bunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One
Issue with Calibre 2.69 and Kobo Aura H2O w/ Koreader - device library disappeared!

Dear all,
since the installation of the latest version, I'm experiencing a troublesome issue: calibre could not find the books on the device anymore! (of course, the books are still on the device...) Just the ksm usual links are displayed (exit_nickel, poweroff, run_test_scripts, etc.).

It looks like metadata.calibre in root folder of the device is rewritten at calibre startup...

I've never experienced this issue before 2.69.

First: Is there any "maintenance mode" in order to rebuild the device library structure instead of manually deleting every book from the device and re-importing them again via calibre? (I just did it yesterday...don't want to do it again...)

Second: Am I doing anything wrong or there's a bug?

My system:
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
Calibre 2.69 64 bit
Kobo Aura H20 firmware 3.19
w/ kobo start menu 0.8
w/koreader

Last edited by bunglegrind; 10-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.
bunglegrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
bunglegrind
bunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheesebunglegrind can extract oil from cheese

Ok, I confirm.
I uninstalled 2.69 and reinstalled 2.68 (from filehippo, since the .msi is not more available on git) and the books are still listed on the device

To summarize, I perform the following operations:

1. right-click on a book in my calibre library (send to device->send to main memory)
the book appears on the device library
2. eject the device (via calibre or close calibre and using windows usb safely remove options, it's the same)
3. disable and re-enable usb on ksm
4. in calibre 2.68 the book still appears in the device library, whereas in 2.69 no.
Advert
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I assume you never go into nickel? If so, you are seeing the result of fixing a bug in how the KoboTouch driver finds books on the device.

The KoboTouch driver uses the database on the device to find books. Anything not in the database is ignored. During the processing, anything that is in the metadata.calibre that is not in the database is also removed. If you use the driver, you need to let nickel process the books into the database.

If you are only using Koreader, then I suggest disabling the KoboTouch driver and connecting to the device as a Folder Device. This does a scan of the device to find all know books and will maintain the metadata.calibre in whatever directory you connect to as the root.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
bunglegrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I assume you never go into nickel? If so, you are seeing the result of fixing a bug in how the KoboTouch driver finds books on the device.
yep, never used nickel since I've installed koreader

Quote:
The KoboTouch driver uses the database on the device to find books. Anything not in the database is ignored. During the processing, anything that is in the metadata.calibre that is not in the database is also removed. If you use the driver, you need to let nickel process the books into the database.
I didn't get exactly the point...you mean that since v2.69 KoboTouch is used only for connection to the nickel db?

Quote:
If you are only using Koreader, then I suggest disabling the KoboTouch driver and connecting to the device as a Folder Device. This does a scan of the device to find all know books and will maintain the metadata.calibre in whatever directory you connect to as the root.
Not so good as workaround. I cannot import tags and collections from Calibre to koreader...
Old 10-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglegrind View Post
yep, never used nickel since I've installed koreader
Good as that tells me what the problem was.
Quote:
I didn't get exactly the point...you mean that since v2.69 KoboTouch is used only for connection to the nickel db?
Yes, the KoboTouch driver looks only looks at database on the device to see what books are on the device. Any book not in the database is ignored by the driver. And the only reason it should not be in the database is if it has only just been added to the device and hasn't been processed.

I fixed a long-standing bug that meant books not actually on the device were being reported as existing. And other books were appearing with the wrong collections in the device list.
Quote:
Not so good as workaround. I cannot import tags and collections from Calibre to koreader...
How are you getting the tags and collections now? Aren't these coming from metadata.calibre file? If so, the Folder Device driver will also maintain this file. I would be surprised if it didn't contain the same details as the KoboTouch driver maintained version.
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 04:32 AM   #6
bunglegrind

Sorry for the late reply, but I couldn't test again the aforementioned issued.
Ok, I was wrong. I can import tags and collection, the problem is that the scan does not match exactly the books in my calibre library and the books on the device, and this creates issues with tags, authors, etc.

Anyway, I am correcting the mismatches by hand.
Thank you for the clarification!

Cheers
Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Minim
Minim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hello,

I have the same problem as bunglegrind with a Kobo Mini, also using Koreader exclusivly. Disabling KoboTouchDriver and using Connect to folder does work. Still two questions:
  1. Is my interpretation correct, that KoboTouchDriver is useless if I never use nickel?
  1. Is there a way to get the old behaviour of automatically detecting the device? It's not a big problem to click the Connect to folder-button and choose the device, but from an ux perspective, it's a regression.

Nevertheless, thank you for calibre!

Minim
Minim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minim View Post
Hello,

I have the same problem as bunglegrind with a Kobo Mini, also using Koreader exclusivly. Disabling KoboTouchDriver and using Connect to folder does work. Still two questions:
  1. Is my interpretation correct, that KoboTouchDriver is useless if I never use nickel?
Pretty much. The driver is assuming the device is being used in a way reasonably close to what Kobo intended. And I cannot think of any of the functions of the driver, beyond the sending books to the device, that would be useful if you are just using Koreader.
Quote:
  1. Is there a way to get the old behaviour of automatically detecting the device? It's not a big problem to click the Connect to folder-button and choose the device, but from an ux perspective, it's a regression.
I haven't tried, but there is also the "User Defined USB" driver. With that, you enter the USB ids for the device in the driver configuration. I don't know if you can use this to define a device that matches one defined in the other device plugins.

If you try it, the vendor id is "0x2237" and the product id for the Mini is "0x4183". I'm not sure about the revision ID, but I think it is either "0x0110" or "0x0326". The rest of it I am not sure about. The tooltip on the fields gives a hint about finding what these values are.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know if you can use this to define a device that matches one defined in the other device plugins.
You can, you just have to disable the plugin for the builtin driver first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
Minim
Minim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Thank you, @davidfor and @kovidgoyal!

After deactiving the device interface plugin KoboTouch and using your provided values to configure the device interface plugin User defined USB Driver, my Kobo Mini is correctly and automatically detected, and all books on the device are found.

Again, thank you!
Minim is offline   Reply With Quote