Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Inaccurate page count...

So my side-loaded epubs will say at the bottom I'm on page 65 of 580. But it takes anywhere from 2-5 page turns for it to actually go up a page (page 66 of 580) depending on the book. Is it my formatting in calibre that is doing this? How can I get an accurate page count?
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The page count # is based on 1024 characters per page; not on the number of page clicks you see on the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And exactly how many page clicks (presses? turns?) are needed depends on the font size, margins and line spacing used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
This is the most useless feature ever. Why don't they just increase or decrease the page count accordingly? The current behaviour makes page numbers useless.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is the standard page numbering when reading an epub with ADE. The desktop version of ADE does the same thing and other ereaders do as well. Personally, I like it as the page numbering doesn't change with screen size, font size or other settings.

Kobo also has the kepub reader. This does do page per screen no matter the other settings. If you put the epubs on as .kepub.epub, it uses this reader.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you put the epubs on as .kepub.epub, it uses this reader.
How is that done? I didn't know you could do that.

GC
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193294
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks. Appreciate it!

GC
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The pager number count is far from useless. To start with, it is the same numbering scheme used on all Adobe Digital Editions based e-book readers.. a reference to page 155 on your book will be the same as page 155 on your friend's Sony reader, regardless of font / margin preferences.

For another, the total size of books (in pages) is relatively accurate, (with some variance for the amount of html code used you don't see and compression.) A 600 page book will have twice as much text to read as a 300 page book.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Hmmm. I don't really like that method of pages per chapter. I like total book page count and would rather it be accurate per page turn not characters per page. I wonder if there is another work around? Not a big deal but would be nice.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
There is, unfortunately, no easy workaround. Theoretically you could manipulate the epub in calibre or sigil and insert page breaks, but this requires a complex script and would be valid only for 1 set of font and margin settings on the KOBO.

I too would love to see an option that lets you chose whether standardized page counts (1024 characters per page) or the number of screens on device (according to the font and margin settings used) are displayed.

I can understand the arguments for setting-independent page counts in electronic books. But (1) my personal preference would be for screen counts (since I do not require fixed page numbers for recreational reading) and (2) I cannot find two devices actually giving the same page counts on my epubs (all of these readers that do not count screens, e.g. KOBO vs. calibre reader vs. some andoid epub reader the name of which I forgot).
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I can understand the arguments for setting-independent page counts in electronic books. But (1) my personal preference would be for screen counts (since I do not require fixed page numbers for recreational reading) and (2) I cannot find two devices actually giving the same page counts on my epubs (all of these readers that do not count screens, e.g. KOBO vs. calibre reader vs. some andoid epub reader the name of which I forgot).
You need to compare two ADE based readers. The ADE desktop does it the same way as Kobo devices for epub. The calibre viewer definitely doesn't. It uses the same sort of rule but its calculation is different. I have read what it is but don't remember. The Android reader won't be ADE based, so unless they have it reproduces the calculation, it won't have the same page numbering. The "Count Pages" plugin for calibre has options for how to calculate the number of pages. One is using the ADE algorithm.

Nowadays, I don't pay much attention to the current page number. I tend to use the percentage read with the total pages. That gives me a good idea how far I am through the book.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
Hmmm. I don't really like that method of pages per chapter. I like total book page count and would rather it be accurate per page turn not characters per page. I wonder if there is another work around? Not a big deal but would be nice.
That's one of the reasons I don't use it. That plus the book title is always on the screen. But, I like the reading stats that it shows.

Changing the numbering scheme is a very popular request. Kobo haven't done anything yet. And I am not expecting them to.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The page count # is based on 1024 characters per page; not on the number of page clicks you see on the device.
Correct me if I am wrong on this but my impression is that ADE uses 1024 compressed characters which means the character count on a "page" can vary depending on how compressible the data happens to be. I may be very wrong here (it's happened once or twice ) and if someone has a better read on the algorithm, I'll be happy to learn I'm wrong.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ah yes... See http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ng/td-p/691602 for instance.

Thanks for the correction!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote