Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
KOReader on KOA2: Possible yet?

My apologies if this should be in the KOReader forum!

I have installed KOReader on my KOA2. It seems to be correctly installed, but when I tap "KUAL", then "KOReader", then "Start the filemanager", the display blinks but that's it.

How did I install everything?

Following these instructions, I installed the MR package installer on my KOA2. Then, I added coplate's patched version of the Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin file to the mrpackages folder.

I ran ;log mrpi and everything seemed to install as expected.

I downloaded the latest KOReader nightly. (I also tried the newest stable version, with the same results.) I see KOReader as a menu item in KUAL, so I assume it is installed correctly.

I tap "start the filemanager", as I said previously, and just get one blink on the display.

Did I miss any crucial steps? Will KOReader even run yet on the KOA2? If anyone has succeeded in this, I'd appreciate your help.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@downeaster59: No, we need quite a few more bits and pieces to handle the KOA2.

Whith a bigger/annoyinger bit than usual being the screen, because the eInk driver was *significantly* updated. It's both annoying to update, and may require some severe refactoring of bits of KOReader I just spent over a week tweaking >_<".

It's non-trivial, and it requires a bit of digging from someone with a device for the "usual" HW bits (battery, light, etc.). And, ideally, a dev with the device for the screen handling, because that's going to be fuuuun.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ NiLuJe: Thanks for the info. At least, I know that it wasn't some goof on my part!

I understand that the KOA2 presents some unique challenges. No problem. In the meantime, there's always calibre!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There may be some basic support coming to a nightly soon, since the screen handling hurdle turned out to be slightly less annoying to deal with than I initially thought.

I'll give you a shout when the code lands in an actual nightly .

(FWIW, Here's the base PR, and there'll be a matching KO PR once this one lands).
Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There may be some basic support coming to a nightly soon, since the screen handling hurdle turned out to be slightly less annoying to deal with than I initially thought.

I'll give you a shout when the code lands in an actual nightly .

(FWIW, Here's the base PR, and there'll be a matching KO PR once this one lands).
Thanks so much! From your previous post, it sounded like doing this for the KOA2 would be a serious PITA. Maybe not quite so serious after all - or maybe you (and others) just enjoy a challenge. Thanks for keeping me informed as well.
Advert
Old 06-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

When I initially looked into it, back in November, I didn't have much time, and it had been quite a while since I'd touched the relevant KOReader code.

I was in a hurry, and I mistakenly remembered the code as not modular enough.

Fast-forward to now, after I spent two weeks reworking that code for unrelated reasons, so I'm now once again quite familiar with it, and, yeah, not as bad as I initially thought . Working on FBInk in the meantime, as well as seeing how Kobo handled the hardware update also helped .
Old 06-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@downeaster59: It should have landed in OTA >= 1745 .

Took a bit longer than I thought, hit a weird snag along the way because my OCD compelled me to try to "fix" something, and that led down a rabbit hole of weird-ass stuff to actually fix... ^^
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@downeaster59: It should have landed in OTA >= 1745 .

Took a bit longer than I thought, hit a weird snag along the way because my OCD compelled me to try to "fix" something, and that led down a rabbit hole of weird-ass stuff to actually fix... ^^
Thanks!

I see several options @1745. Which one should I use with the KOA2?

Edit: I think I found the answer. PW2, right?

Last edited by downeaster59; 06-24-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

I have installed the PW2 version.

When I start the filemanager, my KOA2 display flashes once and then freezes. When I start the filemanager (no framework), I get a blank screen which is also frozen. Wrong version, or some other problem?

PS - I can take this discussion to the KOReader forum if it/s more appropriate there.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@downeaster59: Well, crap .

Can you check if there's something relevant in koreader/crash.log?

Other than that, I'm afraid it's going to be tricky to debug without access to the device... Are you familiar with USBNet?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Lepri
Lepri began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Here's the crash.log

I'm familiar with USBNet if you mean connect by WinSCP and putty. And I could help.
But I'm not native english speaker. Cannot speak well. But understand it fully though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash.zip (2.2 KB, 149 views)
Lepri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard

@NiLuJe:

Attached is a copy of my crash.log, saved as txt.

I can understand the frustration of trying to debug without direct access to a KOA2! I hope the log helps.

I haven't worked with USBNet before, but I can find out stuff about it and see if I can do that.

Thanks again for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash-log.txt (34.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I’m also happy to help you debug again if you need me. I’d love to see KOReader on there
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yay, guinea pigs! .

Jokes aside, yeah, nothing jumps out from the logs, so it's indeed not crashing, which would point to the framebuffer handling code not doing things right...

So, a couple questions for those of you who have a shell access:

* Does FBInk actually manage to print something on your screen? (And do you get an ioctl error or not when you try).

* It's strace time! Download this strace binary, run it like this, and move around a bit in the (Kindle) UI (a bit of everything would be helpful, if you can remember the order in which you did things, that's even better: something like Homescreen, Menu, Library, moving around a bit in the Library, Opening a book, moving around in the book, opening a couple menus in a book).

Code:
./strace -fitv -e trace=ioctl -p $(pidof awesome)
(Make sure you're calling this strace binary (i.e., ./), the one bundled in USBNet and in your $PATH will probably crash on the first screen update ).

^C once you're done, and send me the output .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-25-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oops, I forgot, yes, there was one other helpful bit in the last log: the path to the FL brightness control is wrong... Because I'm stupid and I missed something minor but obvious when c/p the relevant section from the PW3.

This simple change (6 -> 7) may help (once we get the screen working ^^).

Tags
koa2, koreader