Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
TDiana
TDiana began at the beginning.

Device: none
[SOLVED] .azw4 to .pdf

Hi there!

I am trying to convert a non-DRM .azw4 file to .pdf. I did it before using mobiunpack.py, but I can't remember what I did last time and everything I've done so far hasn't worked.

So far, I've tried converting the .azw4 to .mobi in calibre. Then, I use mobiunpack on the file. Unfortunately, the .pdf comes out poorly, with no formatting or pictures. I think this might be a problem with the .mobi file itself and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I have also tried converting the non-DRM .azw4 directly in the mobiunpack.py script, but any time I specify the .azw4 as the input file, mobiunpack.py immediately crashes.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I've done it correctly before, so I'm not sure why it's not working this time.

I'm using ActiveState ActivePython 2.7 (32-bit). I am running on Windows 7. I have tried both mobiunpack v47 and mobiunpack v50. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: THis is the error message when mobiunpack crashes:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: pythonw.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e04e4ad
Fault Module Name: StackHash_2c39
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce6c3
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2c39
Additional Information 2: 2c39e36ffa2484995532d062c430e5e2
Additional Information 3: dea4
Additional Information 4: dea4c4ca9451b47395e442eacb4e2298

Last edited by TDiana; 05-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
TDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It must be a problem with that particular AZW4 file (or your python installation), because I have no difficulties extracting the PDFs from AZW files using the latest mobi_unpack (v.50). It's interesting that it appears to be the console-less pythonw interpreter that's actually doing the crashing. Have you tried bypassing the GUI front-end for mobiunpack and just running it from the command prompt? That would take pythonw.exe out of the equation.

Also, you could try the third-party calibre plugin version of MobiUnpack. It will allow you to extract the PDF from the AZW4 file (with no conversion involved). You can use calibre's built-in "Get new plugins" functionality to automatically install the plugin.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
TDiana
TDiana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It must be a problem with that particular AZW4 file (or your python installation), because I have no difficulties extracting the PDFs from AZW files using the latest mobi_unpack (v.50). It's interesting that it appears to be the console-less pythonw interpreter that's actually doing the crashing. Have you tried bypassing the GUI front-end for mobiunpack and just running it from the command prompt? That would take pythonw.exe out of the equation.

Also, you could try the third-party calibre plugin version of MobiUnpack. It will allow you to extract the PDF from the AZW4 file (with no conversion involved). You can use calibre's built-in "Get new plugins" functionality to automatically install the plugin.
I added the plug-in and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!
TDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
caillou
caillou began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Edit: to be deleted

Last edited by caillou; 10-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.
caillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Xinthose
Xinthose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
wow, that worked perfectly for me and it was literally instant as soon as I used the toolbar. Every single bookmark is there as well. I knew after trying a dozen times with Calibre's conversion that there had to be a better way. Awesome work sir, thank you.
Xinthose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert