Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #91
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
You mean $139 unless you enjoy advertisements on a device you purchased.
I like the sd card slot for an extra $10, and the ability to purchase epub books just about anywhere and organize my books the way I want with the Sony and Calibre.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #92
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
You mean $139 unless you enjoy advertisements on a device you purchased.
My thoughts exactly! Plus, there is a SD card slot to boot. Then just having ePub support. I could never have an eReader that didn't have ePub support. But, that's just me. To each their own.

I was on the bridge between the T1 and the new Kindles, but after seeing what was offered, I'll stick with the T1. But, I can't wait also for the NC 2. Competition is grand!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #93
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
When I saw the KT's today, I admit I was tempted enough to cancel my T1 order, but after some thought I decided the KT just isn't for me. I'd rather spend a little more and have the micro sd option and the physical page turn buttons. I don't always use them on my 650, but they are handy when I do. And this might not be an important option to most, but to me it's a big deal: book covers. I love that the Sony gives me the option to view my library in book covers instead of just a list of titles. I am more apt to remember the cover of a book I want to read than the title. I don't know if the new KT's do this, but from the images I've seen so far, it doesn't look like it. The only time I see book covers on the KT is in the Kindle Store screenshots.

Sony called me while I was typing this out. I had emailed them about undoing the cancellation on my original T1 order. They let me re-order over the phone (the red one this time, instead of the black) and upgraded my shipping for free! Now I'm happy I cancelled the order in the first place because I was paying extra on it for 2-day shipping. Now I'm a much happier camper, even though my T1 won't be here for a few more weeks.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #94
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
I like the sd card slot for an extra $10, and the ability to purchase epub books just about anywhere and organize my books the way I want with the Sony and Calibre.

I love that Calibre automatically syncs tags to the Sony. It makes things so much more streamlined and convenient. My Kindle takes more work to organize with Calibre and it doesn't always work the way I want it to.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #95
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
just gave them a call to ask about the dates. the CSO said they are still anticipating the 10/2 date, and will ship out in batches. IF the date is 10/2, they will ship it out in batches, and if mine doesn't make the 10/2 date, then will ship 10/16.

i don't really understand this, but at least it's not december or something!
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #96
anesthezea
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
just gave them a call to ask about the dates. the CSO said they are still anticipating the 10/2 date, and will ship out in batches. IF the date is 10/2, they will ship it out in batches, and if mine doesn't make the 10/2 date, then will ship 10/16.

i don't really understand this, but at least it's not december or something!
When I talked to Sony today I was told that my reader might ship earlier than the 16th, though they didn't say how much earlier. I'm actually glad I cancelled and re-ordered as it ended up saving me a few bucks.

It does seem that some of the things we've been told don't match up, though. I was told by one CS rep. the other day that I would be charged a placeholder amount (about 30 to 40 dollars) at the time of my order then charged the rest when the reader shipped. When I asked about that today on my new order, I was told I wouldn't be charged anything until shipment.

If it's not one thing that's confusing, it's another, right? Either way, I'll be happy when my T1 gets here. And I agree - atleast it's not December!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #97
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Posted below is part of the email I just received from Sony;

Thank you for your recent Sony purchase.

We would like to inform you we are experiencing a delay with part of your Sony Store order. Your order has been rescheduled to ship on 09/30/2011.

You will be recieving a $25 discount on your order for this delay. We will send you an email confirmation for your credit as soon as it has been processed.

Looks like I just got my T1 for $124.00 an even better price than the new Kindle wifi touch (no ad version).

Last edited by trevgriff; 09-29-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #98
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
Posted below is part of the email I just received from Sony;

Thank you for your recent Sony purchase.

We would like to inform you we are experiencing a delay with part of your Sony Store order. Your order has been rescheduled to ship on 09/30/2011.

You will be recieving a $25 discount on your order for this delay. We will send you an email confirmation for your credit as soon as it has been processed.

Looks like I just got my T1 for $124.00 an even better price than the new Kindle wifi touch (no ad version).
WHAT?? i'm going to call sony now!
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #99
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
there were a couple of the new Sony readers at my local Target this morning (locked in the Kindle case). 150 bucks.

it was at the Culver City Westfield Mall location for anyone in the L.A. area.

Can't find this reader on the Target site, but I know what I saw. 2 or 3 of the black ones in their boxes.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #100
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
My shipping information changed, now says READY FOR SHIPMENT 9/30/11.....so that sounds like good news to me.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #101
trevgriff
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
My shipping information changed, now says READY FOR SHIPMENT 9/30/11.....so that sounds like good news to me.
Same here.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #102
anesthezea
Groupie

I just had a thought re: the idea that some of the delay could be due to a software update...

Since the Kindle Touch has the pinch-to-zoom to change font sizes and the text reflows to adjust to the change - wouldn't it be grand if the delay with Sony was so that they could update their pinch-to-zoom so it does the same? That would make me happy. I just don't see much point to the zoom in feature otherwise.

Like I said, just a thought.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #103
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I just had a thought re: the idea that some of the delay could be due to a software update...

Since the Kindle Touch has the pinch-to-zoom to change font sizes and the text reflows to adjust to the change - wouldn't it be grand if the delay with Sony was so that they could update their pinch-to-zoom so it does the same? That would make me happy. I just don't see much point to the zoom in feature otherwise.

Like I said, just a thought.
As someone who works in the software industry: You never pull a product to add functionality. Feature work is done at least 2-3 months ahead of the final build is declared (in some areas, double or quadruple that). In this case either something was found with what was flashed on the devices, or a last minute ship-stopping bug was found. I'd bet more on the former.

And it really isn't a delay when they ship early, pull it back, and then reship it early again. But it is annoying to wait after you are told it was shipped.

On the Sony, the big deal with pinch to zoom is useful for fixed layout formats like PDF, or with images that are shrunk down. Say, comics, diagrams, and so on.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 AM   #104
anesthezea
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
As someone who works in the software industry: You never pull a product to add functionality. Feature work is done at least 2-3 months ahead of the final build is declared (in some areas, double or quadruple that). In this case either something was found with what was flashed on the devices, or a last minute ship-stopping bug was found. I'd bet more on the former.

And it really isn't a delay when they ship early, pull it back, and then reship it early again. But it is annoying to wait after you are told it was shipped.

On the Sony, the big deal with pinch to zoom is useful for fixed layout formats like PDF, or with images that are shrunk down. Say, comics, diagrams, and so on.
Thank you for the clarification on that. I'm not very familiar with how these things work, design/software-wise.

The T1 doesn't do landscape mode, does it? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it does - so I can see how the pinch to zoom as-is on the T1 would be helpful for that format. I'm still skeptical about it though, since it's still a PDF viewed on a 6-inch screen. I will, of course, try it out when I get my reader.

ETA: You know, I think I might be thinking of the Nook Simple Touch when I say no landscape mode. Oops.

Last edited by anesthezea; 09-30-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #105
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
Decision made.

BTW, between K-Touch and T1 (RED), I have decided to go with T1 RED for the wife. At the end of the day, it is software, expansion slots, weight and COLOR! The difference of $20-$60 warrants a GIFT, on a premium product. Since this is my first device, I might get another one, either used or refurbished later... but a T1 for gift is perfect.

Let's hope it gets here on time, or even EARLY!
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony new model, sony t-1