Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
fan of kovid
fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 900
Question Importing / Converting DOCX files

Gents,

My current method is to edit the book in Word - then save as Web Page (filtered) - then import to Calibre - then convert to epub.

Now, I know that Word's "docx" format is actually a thinly disguised Zip file containing HTML files...

So, it is possible to get Calibre to directly import "docx" files into calibre? I realise that it is currently not possible but maybe in the future?

I really like (that means I've gotten used to) Word's editing features - I'm old so I don't really want to learn the idiosyncrasies of a whole new software - and don't forget the extra costs

Alternatively, does anyone know of a better method?

Many thanks - (BIG) Fan of Kovid
fan of kovid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
docx isn't quite html in a zip file, which is why adding support for it is not simple. I wont rule it out for ever, but there are no immediate plans for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
fan of kovid
fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fan of kovid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Importing / Converting DOCX files

Thanks Kovid,

Did I mention that I'm a big fan of yours? The work you've done on Calibre is excellent!

There's one or two little niggles, but overall, the program has got to be the best I have seen in a long time - well done!

Thanks again
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Dear "Fan",

If you are using Word to edit your books, how about saving the final book in .doc format instead of .docx? Calibre will import the .doc format. If you were using the Open Office Writer (openoffice.org) you could get the plugin that converts your document to ePub format. Both are free and very easy to use.

DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of kovid View Post
Gents,

My current method is to edit the book in Word - then save as Web Page (filtered) - then import to Calibre - then convert to epub.

Now, I know that Word's "docx" format is actually a thinly disguised Zip file containing HTML files...

So, it is possible to get Calibre to directly import "docx" files into calibre? I realise that it is currently not possible but maybe in the future?

I really like (that means I've gotten used to) Word's editing features - I'm old so I don't really want to learn the idiosyncrasies of a whole new software - and don't forget the extra costs

Alternatively, does anyone know of a better method?

Many thanks - (BIG) Fan of Kovid
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjohn View Post
If you are using Word to edit your books, how about saving the final book in .doc format instead of .docx? Calibre will import the .doc format.
Calibre does not convert or view Doc files either. The method the OP describes is the best method to currently go from Word to any other format via calibre.

Quote:
If you were using the Open Office Writer (openoffice.org) you could get the plugin that converts your document to ePub format. Both are free and very easy to use.
There are many ways to get to ePub, the method you describe will work. The only problem is the OP wishes to stay with Word.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Over the past week I've modified yWriter5 (freeware) so that it will generate an HTML file suitable for Calibre.

yWriter will already import RTF and generate a project (and you can save to RTF from any word processor.)

I've put a guide online here: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5_Ebooks.html
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
fan of kovid

Importing / Converting DOCX files

Thanks Guys,

At least I'm not going too far out of my way to get the job done.

Now I know that this is a Calibre forum, but for anyone who is interested, there is an easier way to get Word documents into epub format...

There is a bit of software "Aspose.Words for Microsoft Word" which is free, installs as a plug-in (I think?), in Word and allows you to "save as" an epub format file.

Link is http://www.aspose.com/community/file...try194468.aspx Although it is free, you have to register in order to download it - I know it says 30 day trial, but it is completely free - and not limited to 30 days.

The down side to this, is that it's not as polished as Calibre, no automatically generated TOC, no page breaks - not even those manually inputted into the original document.

Thanks again for the suggestions / tips - all are welcome!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
dwanthny, I just went to Calibre to view and convert a .DOC file. You are quite correct. It opened the external viewer app and is not available for convert. Newbie assumptions based on a successful import of the format.

Open Office is very similar in look and handling to the older version of MS Word, making this a very easy transition for those who don't want to expend $$$ on MS Word. Almost no learning curve involved in getting started. Calibre will import the .odt file, is using the external app for viewing, but successfully converts the file to epub.

Many thanks to Fan, for the link. I'm going to give it a try and see if it works better than the OpenOffice/plugin. Very handy resource.

DJ
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
dwanthny, I just went to Calibre to view and convert a .DOC file. You are quite correct. It opened the external viewer app and is not available for convert. Newbie assumptions based on a successful import of the format.
Sometimes doc files are really rtf files with a doc extension. I have heard rumor that those files will convert in calibre.

Quote:
Open Office is very similar in look and handling to the older version of MS Word, making this a very easy transition for those who don't want to expend $$$ on MS Word. Almost no learning curve involved in getting started. Calibre will import the .odt file, is using the external app for viewing, but successfully converts the file to epub.
True.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
chameleon68
chameleon68 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a reason not to save the file as .pdf in Word then convert it using Calibre?
chameleon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon68 View Post
Is there a reason not to save the file as .pdf in Word then convert it using Calibre?
Yes: PDF is the absolute worst format to use as conversion source.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
fan of kovid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Yes: PDF is the absolute worst format to use as conversion source.
I'll second that!

Best option is to save as "Web Page, Filtered", alternatively, RTF - or even TXT - anything but PDF!

For a "quick & dirty" conversion, directly to epub, "Aspose.Words for Microsoft Word" - link above - also works.

I'm told that Open Office Writer (free) has an available plug-in (also free) that can do epubs.

PDF should be an absolute last resort - the reason (I think) is in the way PDFs are coded - it doesn't make for a clean conversion - although the text in a PDF can be edited, it doesn't flow properly from one page to the next - which leaves a lot of editing to hammer it into good shape.

Try making a PDF from a simple text document - then convert that PDF back to Word's DOC or DOCX format - looks okay, right? Now click the "Show/Hide" button ¶ - you will see a Page Break at the bottom of each page - these would need to be edited out from the finished ebook.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I edit exclusively in MSWord for the same reason as the OP, and then I save as RTF - I get the exact results I want this way, the epub and RTF are almost identical.

I import the original file whatever the format to Calibre and convert to RTF from there. Occasionally the resultant file wont open in MSWord. But I found it will open in Wordpad. A quick save again and then MSWord will work.

I also notice that despite having the setting to Remove spacing between para's ticked and have 0.0em indent, the RTF file always has an indent with a 'tab' - however easily removed as part of my macros.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote