Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
rufush
rufush began at the beginning.

Device: samsung note 2
Sharing by email book format question

I've just spent a good while on a problem.
I've been trying to send a PDF from calibre to an email address.
In preferences/Sharing books by email, the formats column for that particular email address is "MOBI PDF".
When I try to send an PDF document to that email address, calibre says..."Could not email the following book as no suitable formats were found"
Yet if I just have PDF in the format column, it works !
I've also tried "PDF MOBI" and that fails too.
I feel I'm missing something really obvious but cant for the life of me see what.
Thanks
Rufe

Follow up edit...
I think I've solved the mystery...
It would appear that if you put more than 1 format in the formats column, you must separate them with a comma !
Strange.. calibre is clever enough to change any format entered to upper case, but not check for and insert a comma between formats if required..

Last edited by rufush; 11-13-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Solution found
rufush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A comma is the most often used method to separate a list of discrete values, not only in calibre but in most software. You've probably heard of Comma Separated Files.

And on Windows/NTFS at least, file extensions (formats) can have spaces in them, not sure about Linux and OSX and the file systems they use.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
rufush
rufush began at the beginning.

Device: samsung note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A comma is the most often used method to separate a list of discrete values, not only in calibre but in most software. You've probably heard of Comma Separated Files.

And on Windows/NTFS at least, file extensions (formats) can have spaces in them, not sure about Linux and OSX and the file systems they use.

BR
In our business we call it user input validation. Assume the user is completely stupid and may enter any old rubbish into an input field.
Looks like there's no validation on the formats field at all. Couldnt even find anything in help (hence my question here).
All sorted now though, through trial and error.
rufush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess the software designer assumed the template that is shown when the add button is clicked was adequate instruction to inform users that they should separate formats with a comma, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	152993

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote