Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Ed McBain?

My sister has a bunch of these and has recommended them to me. Does this series have to be read in order, or can you read each one independently? My library has some later ones but not the first ones in the series.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You do get more from it reading them in order, because the characters develop over time, but you certainly could just jump in - each is readable in isolation, too.

I'm assuming you're talking about his "87th Precinct" books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I, too, assume you mean the classic "87th Precinct" books, which inspired "Hill Street Blues," "NYPD Blue," and countless other television shows and novels.

In my view, there's no need to start at the beginning. They each stand on their own.

Happy reading.

Paul Levine
Author of the Jake Lassiter Novels
"Mystery Writing at its very, very best." Larry King -- USA TODAY

"To Speak for the Dead"
"Night Vision"
"False Dawn"
"Reversal"
"Mortal Sin"
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have read most of the 87th Precinct novels and agree with Paul -- no need to read them in any particular order. Harry is right that if read in order you see the character development, but even reding them out of order, the characters are such that you can readily fit the development into the proper place.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I've read many of the "87th Precinct" novels, and never in order. It is interesting to jump from one decade to the next (or previous) and see how the flavor and descriptions of Isola and it's citezens changes. I am currently reading "Doll" published in 1965. Lot's of thigh high boots and miniskirts.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Big Shirley
Enthusiast
Big Shirley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Galaxy S, Nook Color, Sony PRS-950
I LOVE the 87th Precinct books. I agree with Harry, you can certainly enjoy them in any order, but if you read them chronologically, the characters and a few plot-lines unfold in order. I hope you really like them.
Big Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, that is the series. The library assortment seems pretty random. I'll get a few and if I like them I can always go back and read the earlier ones.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
SidneyW
Zealot
SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Generally I have hopped around, but some of the later ones benefit from being read in order. There's a great one called Vespers for example that has a follow-up later in the series. Tricks is a good one for Halloween time.

I love any of them ones with the Deaf Man, the 87th's Moriarity. Let's Hear it for the Deaf Man is a good one as is Eight Black Horses.
SidneyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
allanguthrie
Enthusiast
allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle and Sony PRS-600
It's always been my intention to read them back-to-back in order. One day I might even get round to it! I also enjoy one of his little-known contemporaries, Jonathan Craig, who wrote a '6th Precinct' series. He's a little more of his time (even the titles sound dated). But he's a good writer. There's a little more on him here.
allanguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote