Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Aluratek Libre just got Adobe DE support

I just got off the phone with Aluratek. They confirmed that the firmware update released on Friday did indeed add Adobe DE support to the Libre. The update includes DRM and reflowable PDFs.

I was caught a little flatfooted by this announcement. Like many people, I had assumed that Aluratek had simply rebranded the Ectaco Jetbook (which is itself a rebranded JCNIP M218). I was wrong; Aluratek had licensed the hardware and been developing the firmware independent of Ectaco.

As of this moment, the Jetbook does not have this firmware update nor can it use the firmware. (I tried.)

I have a Libre, and I can heartily recommend the hardware. Newegg is currently selling it for $179.99, and I think it's worth it.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Hallelujah! I expect that this competition between Ectaco and Aluratek will boost the awareness of ePaper in general as an alternative to eInk.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Thanks for that comment, Russell. I had no idea. For those like me: here's the difference.

I had completely written off the Aluratek and Jetbook just because their hardware design was so ugly. Has anyone done any refresh speed comparisons?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
tried out the pdf reflow and and also adobe digital edition books. works for both. The reflow cut off a few sentences on one book at the start of each chapter(not sure why) but the other book worked fine.
Is reflow working correctly a book to book basis?
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Thanks for that comment, Russell. I had no idea. For those like me: here's the difference.
Now I owe you thanks, Nikki! I had no idea that is how ePaper works.
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Aluratek had licensed the hardware and been developing the firmware independent of Ectaco.
Has there been confirmation of which DRM scheme will be supported by the Jetbook? ECTACO jetBook-Lite product page says:
Quote:
Support of DRM format through Barnes & Nobles
I initially took this to mean eReader, but now I'm not so sure. ECTACO's own forum mentions ePub, but that could be via FBReader (DRM-free ePub).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just got off the phone with Aluratek. They confirmed that the firmware update released on Friday did indeed add Adobe DE support to the Libre. The update includes DRM and reflowable PDFs.

I was caught a little flatfooted by this announcement. Like many people, I had assumed that Aluratek had simply rebranded the Ectaco Jetbook (which is itself a rebranded JCNIP M218). I was wrong; Aluratek had licensed the hardware and been developing the firmware independent of Ectaco.

As of this moment, the Jetbook does not have this firmware update nor can it use the firmware. (I tried.)

I have a Libre, and I can heartily recommend the hardware. Newegg is currently selling it for $179.99, and I think it's worth it.
Does it mean that jetBook can be reprogrammed with Aluratek firmware and
will have Adobe DE support?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Has there been confirmation of which DRM scheme will be supported by the Jetbook? ECTACO jetBook-Lite product page says: I initially took this to mean eReader, but now I'm not so sure. ECTACO's own forum mentions ePub, but that could be via FBReader (DRM-free ePub).
jetBook-Lite has eReader support
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfitz View Post
The reflow cut off a few sentences on one book at the start of each chapter(not sure why) but the other book worked fine.
Is reflow working correctly a book to book basis?
The easiest way to check is to try the same PDFs in Sony eBook Library, because eBL implements mobile ADE on a PC or a Mac. If eBL displays the PDF with reflow correctly, then this is a Libre bug and otherwise it is an ADE bug.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

I had completely written off the Aluratek and Jetbook just because their hardware design was so ugly. Has anyone done any refresh speed comparisons?
So Aluratek uses different screen hardware from Jetbook?

Jetbook is reflective lcd while Aluratek is epaper?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So Aluratek uses different screen hardware from Jetbook?

Jetbook is reflective lcd while Aluratek is epaper?

Dale
No, same screen but different name.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
No, same screen but different name.
Ah, so they are lying. ePaper is bistable and jetBook is not so Aluratek should not say they have an ePaper screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Dale, the NewEgg site says: "The Libre is soft on the eyes utilizing an exclusive ePaper LCD technology."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20Libre%20Pro

The Aluratek site says the same.

http://www.aluratek.com/product_info...02&display=All
Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
As I understand it, Aluratek and Ectaco use exactly the same hardware. Their screens are not eInk, however. This makes them different from the Kindles and Sony Readers of the world. I stumbled on that page describing how they work while googling for info about ePaper. Specific information is very hard to find since most people refer to eInk as epaper. Strikes me as a terrible name for a competing technology.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of eInk to ePaper screens, if anyone owns both. Ideally a video and some high-res pics.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #15
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
As I understand it, Aluratek and Ectaco use exactly the same hardware. Their screens are not eInk, however. This makes them different from the Kindles and Sony Readers of the world. I stumbled on that page describing how they work while googling for info about ePaper. Specific information is very hard to find since most people refer to eInk as epaper. Strikes me as a terrible name for a competing technology.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of eInk to ePaper screens, if anyone owns both. Ideally a video and some high-res pics.
you can check this page. It has many examples:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593