Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Now What?

So I am back in the US. I have my new replacement Kindle. Life is good.

But for the last day or two, my battery has been dying after a couple of hours. I think I have figured that one out. I had no bars on the WhisperNet thing, so my Kindle was wasting power looking for a signal.

1. Why would WhisperNet be out for the last 24 hours in Western Maryland?

So I turned off wireless and downloaded the Times by the Amazon web site. No problems. But while reading the Times, I noticed the battery life bar moving. I mean after a night's charge it ought to be solid for several hours. What the heck?

So I turned the machine off and and on. No problems, but no improvement.

I went back to my newspaper, and all the controls are frozen, page forward, page back, back, even the power switch seems to do nothing.

2. Any obvious diagnosis? I suppose I need to do a hard reset with a paperclip?

Your thoughts?
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
Your thoughts?
Welcome home.

Do you have these battery problems with the wireless switch off? If so, sounds like a bad battery to me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
So I am back in the US. I have my new replacement Kindle. Life is good.

But for the last day or two, my battery has been dying after a couple of hours. I think I have figured that one out. I had no bars on the WhisperNet thing, so my Kindle was wasting power looking for a signal.

1. Why would WhisperNet be out for the last 24 hours in Western Maryland?

So I turned off wireless and downloaded the Times by the Amazon web site. No problems. But while reading the Times, I noticed the battery life bar moving. I mean after a night's charge it ought to be solid for several hours. What the heck?

So I turned the machine off and and on. No problems, but no improvement.

I went back to my newspaper, and all the controls are frozen, page forward, page back, back, even the power switch seems to do nothing.

2. Any obvious diagnosis? I suppose I need to do a hard reset with a paperclip?

Your thoughts?
If you screen is frozen and none of the buttons work, you will have to do a hard reset with the paperclip.

As far as your issues with Whispernet, I'm a little confused. Are you just leaving the Whispernet on all of the time? If so, it won't matter if you have a good or bad signal, your battery will drain much faster with it on. If I plan to use Whispernet for longer than a few minutes, I plug my Kindle into a power source.

If you're suddenly having issues with Whispernet itself, you may want to put in a call to Amazon to see if there are any outage issues. I tired to Google for outage info for Sprint EVDO but haven't been successful.

Welcome back stateside!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome back! That's a prayer answered.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote