Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
That's it. The Landscape mode option is only available when you are viewing a PDF file. PDF files don't work well on the CyBook because the CyBook does not reflow anything and you can't zoom. All the PDF files I've copied to my CyBook are practically illegible - the print is so small.
Yep. Same here. And I've not the patience to go in and reflow PDF to work on my Cybook - not when I can usually get BookDesigner to make a decent .prc out of them.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yep. Same here. And I've not the patience to go in and reflow PDF to work on my Cybook - not when I can usually get BookDesigner to make a decent .prc out of them.

Derek
Try using Mobi Reader to import PDF, Derek. It does a MUCH better job than BD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try using Mobi Reader to import PDF, Derek. It does a MUCH better job than BD.
Sometimes. But then, sometimes the PDF file in question sucks to begin with.

Derek
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard

Power button went down and stayed down, anyone?

Because just about 30 minutes ago, that's what happened to mine. Now I must say that I've got an 'engineering sample' not a production unit, but when I went to turn it off, the button went down hard and stayed down - no popping back up and kind of a very, very soft rattle. I'm pretty sure it's broken, but I don't know as it's impossible to get the case open without scraping off several small rubber dots that cover four hidden screws. I'm not enough a hacker - and this is a VERY costly device (my 'engineering sample' cost me over $500, and that was without a 2GB card, softcover case or spare battery pack) - so I've now joined the ranks of those who are waiting for a replacement unit.

Who knows, maybe they'll send me a NAEB package deal with the softcover case and 1GB card to replace this one. Anyone know how long it takes???

I'm bummed out, 'cause now I have to go back to the very difficult-to-use Sony PRS-500!

Derek
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm bummed out, 'cause now I have to go back to the very difficult-to-use Sony PRS-500!
I do not think the 500 is difficult to use at all. I think it's very easy to use. The only think you'll take bad with is the slower screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do not think the 500 is difficult to use at all. I think it's very easy to use. The only think you'll take bad with is the slower screen.

Easy for you to say. Clearly you are in the vast majority of the human population with skinny, highly-flexible thumbs. Me, I am one of those few unwashed with hammers for thumbs. Which means the paging controls are all wrong and wrong-sized.

On top of that, this means I'll have to re-format EVERY SINGLE EBOOK to a decent font size because, unlike the Cybook, the 500 only supports small, medium and large - for one font. (Unless of course, one wants to reformat and redownload the ebook each time one wants to see what a new font/size will look like on the flat and lifeless PRS500 screen. Oh BOTHER!!!)

Now I suppose I could always just go out and rob a convenience store for the money to buy a new PRS505... (Life sucks when one is on a US government *FIXED* income.) You know, that might not be a bad idea. I'll get custom living arrangements, government medical care and a very fixed diet - courtesy of the California Department of Corrections - no doubt I'll lose every one of my 300 excess pounds!

There *IS* a ray of hope and brightness after all to this day!

Derek
Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried the hacks to change some of the buttons? I rather liked having the joystick be a paging button and the big metal circle be the history.

My guess is that the 500/505 goes up 2 points when you enlarge the font. Book Designer defaults to 10 point and that would make large be 14 point if I am correct. The books I create I use a base font size of 11 point which would be 15 point at large.

How large do you need to be able to comfortably read on your 500? If I can help you out, let me know. Any of the books in the ebook section I've formatted and you want a larger base font size, please let me know and I'll generate a new copy for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried the hacks to change some of the buttons? I rather liked having the joystick be a paging button and the big metal circle be the history.

My guess is that the 500/505 goes up 2 points when you enlarge the font. Book Designer defaults to 10 point and that would make large be 14 point if I am correct. The books I create I use a base font size of 11 point which would be 15 point at large.

How large do you need to be able to comfortably read on your 500? If I can help you out, let me know. Any of the books in the ebook section I've formatted and you want a larger base font size, please let me know and I'll generate a new copy for you.

Actually, I haven't tried them. I know they exist, but I got my Cybook back in September, handed my 'pristine' and 'virginal' PRS-500 over to my Mother and never looked back. I'm kind of out of the loop as to how the hacks and enhancements stand.

I looked at the PRS505 and Kindle, thinking I'd put one on the card so I'd have something to use while waiting for mine to be replaced. But they're *ALL* backordered and I'm not so stupid as to pay fancy prices on eBay for one.

Derek
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Trelligan
Trelligan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Solid lockup at 90% battery power. New CyBook Gen3, my Xmas present to myself.
I've just had my second solid lockup, reset button doesn't reset the machine and no buttons/lights work.
Last time I just plugged it in to the charger, assuming that I'd let the battery go dead. This time I had just checked the battery at 90% charge ten minutes before the unit died.
Does anyone know of a lockup bug?
Trelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelligan View Post
I've just had my second solid lockup, reset button doesn't reset the machine and no buttons/lights work.
Last time I just plugged it in to the charger, assuming that I'd let the battery go dead. This time I had just checked the battery at 90% charge ten minutes before the unit died.
The reset button turns the machine off so you have to turn it on again to see any change.

I have had some lockups but not so many. Most of them reproducable so the cause a bugs in the firmware.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #26
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Quote:
I've had the problem where it just froze and nothing worked; it's on it's way back to bookeen........for analysis
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
Trelligan
Trelligan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The reset button turns the machine off so you have to turn it on again to see any change.
That was it!
Thanks a lot for the help!
Trelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #28
kakemoms
kakemoms began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Talking

Quote:
It seems to take an exceedingly long time for the Cybook to start up - compared with a paperback, anyway!
Is there a reason for the two screens (the second with some 'animation'), or could they conceivably be skipped and go to the library sooner?
Related question: Is there any way to go directly to the book I was reading, rather than to the library?

(It's still great!)
Alternately: Go into the settings and switch off the automatic power off. The E-ink screen (or the unit) does not consume power until you flip a page, so it does not drain power to keep it "on". I left it for a week with a single page displaying, and there are no memory effects on the screen either (so really no point in the unit switching "off").
kakemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemoms View Post
Alternately: Go into the settings and switch off the automatic power off. The E-ink screen (or the unit) does not consume power until you flip a page, so it does not drain power to keep it "on". I left it for a week with a single page displaying, and there are no memory effects on the screen either (so really no point in the unit switching "off").
The screen doesn't drain power, but other things - the CPU, RAM, etc - certainly do. You'll drain the battery in 4-5 days if you leave the machine switched on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 AM   #30
kakemoms
kakemoms began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
That's it. The Landscape mode option is only available when you are viewing a PDF file. PDF files don't work well on the CyBook because the CyBook does not reflow anything and you can't zoom. All the PDF files I've copied to my CyBook are practically illegible - the print is so small.
You can set the display to "landscape" and "fit to width" while displaying PDF. This will zoom the PDF around 130% so that it becomes readable.. thats with glasses or good vision.

I hope the next version of the software comes with "eliminate margins" option so that it will be easier to read the text.
kakemoms is offline   Reply With Quote