Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
question re kindle's email address

Hello! Is it still possible to change or personalize the email address of my Kindle? I noticed that I dont have the "EDIT" button next to @kindle.com.

Please advise.
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcapili View Post
Hello! Is it still possible to change or personalize the email address of my Kindle? I noticed that I dont have the "EDIT" button next to @kindle.com.

Please advise.
It appears the edit button vanished a few days ago and has had some unfortunate consequences with personal docs being delivered to all Kindles on the account. I'm not sure why this was done.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
you should be able to edit the mail adress on the "my kindle" page at amazon.com. (under personal documents settings)
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni-chan View Post
you should be able to edit the mail adress on the "my kindle" page at amazon.com. (under personal documents settings)
The ability to edit email addresses on individual Kindles appears to have been removed on September 28th.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The ability to edit email addresses on individual Kindles appears to have been removed on September 28th.
is that so? is it possible to change it through the actual kindle device though?
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
yes, but you can still change your one @kindle.com adress and select, to which device the documents should be transferred to.
(at least i can do this at amazon.de)
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I wonder if I have several Kindles all on 3G and the docs get sent to all of them, do I get charged several times?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Okay I thought each Kindle had it's own email address.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay I thought each Kindle had it's own email address.
It does, or at least has. I can still send to my kindles at the address I set for each way back when, but can't edit these now; nor can I set them for the Kindle on pre-order.

I think MYK is broken at the moment, you should be able to set the Kindle email address somehow. No doubt because of the Personal Documents feature which seems to be a work in progress (though it seems to have resulted in this regression).

Maybe they are in the process of changing the mailbox naming convention somehow so there aren't so many name collisions when people try to set a new one that conflicts with one of the millions of existing ones. Though honestly, that is not an easy problem to solve without some loss of the anonymity generally expected of an email address.

But it is odd that it's been broken for so long. Think I'll shoot ACS an email...

BTW you can turn off cloud archiving of personal documents if you find it evil. I'm looking forward to it myself (in fact have been asking Amazon for this feature).

Last edited by tomsem; 10-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It does, or at least has. I can still send to my kindles at the address I set for each way back when, but can't edit these now; nor can I set them for the Kindle on pre-order.

I think MYK is broken at the moment, you should be able to set the Kindle email address somehow.

Maybe they are in the process of changing the mailbox naming convention somehow so there aren't so many name collisions when people try to set a new one that conflicts with one of the millions of existing ones. Though honestly, that is not an easy problem to solve without some loss of the anonymity generally expected of an email address.

But it is odd that it's been broken for so long. Think I'll shoot ACS an email...

BTW you can turn off cloud archiving of personal documents if you find it evil. I'm looking forward to it myself (in fact have been asking Amazon for this feature).
Thanks let us know what they say! My Kindle will be here this week and it needs an email address!

I like the new cloud I use Dropbox but it will be nice to have it in my archives for my other Kindle.

Edit: Yesterday it didn't have one today. I just checked now it shows the same one as the K3 Okay there a few threads on the Kindle forum and it seems this not a broke issue they have change that all new Kindles share the same email address. That means all docs go to all Kindles on the account. It's time to file complaints.

I mean serious what about families who have several Kindles? Seriously do you want your Romance book going to your young daughter's Kindle?!? Amazon really didn't think this through. Here they makes the Kindle affordable for a family then take away this ability.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-03-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni-chan View Post
yes, but you can still change your one @kindle.com adress and select, to which device the documents should be transferred to.
(at least i can do this at amazon.de)
That will change as soon as the new kindles are available in Germany, aka Oct 12th. You will then not have the edit button anymore.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote