Notices

Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Which classic books should I take ?

Hi ,
Since I'm more of a fantasy - scifi reader , I find it difficult to choose 100 classic ebooks as part of the promotion I got (I didn't take any yet...)

I would like to get some recommendations from you.

Cheers.
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Hi ,
Since I'm more of a fantasy - scifi reader , I find it difficult to choose 100 classic ebooks as part of the promotion I got (I didn't take any yet...)

I would like to get some recommendations from you.

Cheers.
My favourite "classic" author has always been Jules Verne. "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and "The Mysterious Island" are marvellous and will be two of the first books I put on an e-reader, if I ever get one.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
H G Wells is, of course, excellent; his is Sci-Fi with a heart and vision.
Wilkie Collins' "Moonstone", and H. Rider Haggard's whole "Alan Quatermain" series are simply first class.

Cheers.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
H G Wells is, of course, excellent; his is Sci-Fi with a heart and vision.
Wilkie Collins' "Moonstone", and H. Rider Haggard's whole "Alan Quatermain" series are simply first class.

Cheers.
Is there a way to know which classics are scifi / fantasy ?
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can always look them up in Wikipedia if you're not sure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
dearfiona04
dearfiona04 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY R500
hi, everyone, i just got my reader today, try to test it. which will be the good book? thanks
dearfiona04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Since I'm more of a fantasy - scifi reader , I find it difficult to choose 100 classic ebooks as part of the promotion I got...
It's hard to go wrong with H.G. Wells. Start with the classics like The Invisible Man, and The Time Machine. These books read very quickly, like modern novels. Jules Verne is a little more dated but still great fun. Also worth reading is Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, although this one is very short and is more of a novella and than a novel.

If you like ghost stories, check out The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Turn of the Screw, Twice Told Tales, and, of course, The Works of Edgar Allen Poe.

Jim
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote