Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Waiting for Mr. Good-NAEB ebook reader.

One of the nifty things about working for NAEB (Who am I kidding? I'm a corporate officer.) is that I get to play with our product - or I *would* be able to do so, if our evaluation units of the NAEB ebook reader ever arrived here.

Sometime in April, hopefully *EARLY* April, I will receive two of the customized devices from Bookeen. And then I'll be able to really dig into them and see just what they do.

And once I've had my hands-on, I'll tell you all what they're like. I'll post a review both here and at the NAEB website - with pictures. In the meantime, given that there are no Hanlin Jinke or STAReBOOK vendors to hand in sunny Sacramento, California, I've not a clue what they're going to be like. I'm stuck reading all my wonderful ebooks on my Dell Axim pda. Thank goodness it's an X51V!

In the mean time, I just downloaded CoolReader 2 for my PC as it allows a user to read txt, html and fb2 ebook files and I have a ton of fb2 files. Looks nice.

Derek Benner
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Derek, I cannot wait to hear of your hands-on experience with the new Bookeen devices. Make sure to charge your photo camera beforehand and please make lots of photos for us
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alexander,

It's a *DEAL*! Yep, I'm actually creating a lightbox in order to get the best possible images. And I've charged up *BOTH* batteries for my Olympus Evolt E-300! (8 megapixels of RAW advantage!)

I've requested both a glossy-white-cased version and a matte-black-cased one, just to see the difference under glaring sunlight. (I'm a matte-black kind of guy, but we've already heard that a significant portion will want the glossy white case.)

And I'm already asking around for help in adding support for eReader Studio's PDB file and FBReader's FB2 format. And I believe we're looking for help in adding support for RB files.

Damn! I can't wait for my two evaluation units to arrive!

Derek

PS For anyone who's reading this, we at NAEB have received information-request signups from 235 people. At 5,000 we can probably buy these for everyone at a price of $300! Until then, our 'price' to all who participate - that will also include me, I'm paying for my two evaluation units - will be $350. So once I get the review and photos up, everybody, please sign up! You're not committed to buying until we start collecting the money and that won't happen until after we review them.

Also, in case I haven't mentioned it elsewhere here, Bookeen won't be delivering the ordered readers for 90 days after we pay. We're attempting to get that reduced to either 30 or 60 days, but if we get any reduction, it's more likely the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Derek, I cannot wait to hear of your hands-on experience with the new Bookeen devices. Make sure to charge your photo camera beforehand and please make lots of photos for us
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
White is better in bright sunlight. Black heats up uncomfortably.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #5
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
White is better in bright sunlight. Black heats up uncomfortably.
I've got the matte black STAReBOOK reader (same hardware) and can't say I've noticed it heat up at all in the sun. However, looking outside now its snowing, so not likely to get too hot at all. However, each to their own....

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

RE: White vs Black cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
I've got the matte black STAReBOOK reader (same hardware) and can't say I've noticed it heat up at all in the sun. However, looking outside now its snowing, so not likely to get too hot at all. However, each to their own....

micro
Good to know. However, I'll be looking at several things. After all, I and my co-officers will be the first to see and use the Bookeen device and the others who want one will be relying on our reviews to help them make the buy decision; we want to get this right.

Derek
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

Man, I can hardly wait for this to come out, and count me in for the black.

I just purchased a eBookwise for a vacation I'm taking in a couple of weeks but I'll still purchase one from NAEB when they're available.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
spartman
spartman began at the beginning.

Device: palm sj33
make that 236
spartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

RE: Not Another E-Book reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartman
make that 236
I thank you. Your Mum and Dad thank you. The Great Un-washed Masses thank you. Cthulhu thanks you.

Derek
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
spartman

did you get it yet???
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard

RE: Did we get it yet?

Nope. Seems the case for the matte black version didn't satisfy them and so they've not even sent us the glossy white version yet. Of course, April isn't over yet.

All this hurry-up-and-wait has me fuming - but quietly.

Derek
Old 04-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
spartman

waiting.......quietly
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Yeah. So'm I. And getting rather grumped about the delay. As if they don't know that if they don't get sample units to us, we can't write up a hands-on about them and thus no sales for Bookeen. Oh well, maybe one day I'll understand.

Derek
Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
spartman

Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're now reporting over at the Bar that Bookeen is saying it will ship their samples May 15th.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote