Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #226
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If they are still interested in making changes, one addition that I would like is if the system could flag books I have previously checked out.
At Brooklyn, you can keep track of what you've checked out by rating the book.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #227
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I hadn't thought about a possible privacy issue, but I can see why that makes sense.

I tried rating a book once, but was disappointed that it was a star-rating system only and there was no opportunity to say what I did or didn't like about the book, so I never did it again.

I have discovered that for books I downloaded via my PC, if I go to My Documents, somewhere under the my ebooks and Sony reader there is a folder called "manifest" which lists all the books I've downloaded, even library books which have been returned. However, that's a lot of books so I don't go checking it every time I go to the library.

I recently accidentally checked out a book I'd already read. The description was very short and I didn't recognize it until I downloaded and opened the book.

When I was a child, the public library in my small town still kept the checkout card in a pocket in the book, and you signed the card when you checked it out. You could look at the card and see if you (or anyone you knew) had read it before. I bet that kept people from checking out some kinds of books....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #228
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Or you could use Goodreads to keep track.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #229
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I haven't figured out where to rate books on the new version...where are you seeing it?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #230
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fizzy - looks like they've done away with the rating system in the new version.

Of course, they'll call this 'progress'.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #231
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've seen the stars on books that someone or I have rated in the past....I think. I have access to 5 Overdrive libraries, and 2 are still on the preferred ... uh, I mean, last generation, old, what-was-I-thinking, must-be-outdated ... version.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #232
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have noticed when I go into my wishlist it appears completely random whether I see the symbol that says whether the book is available or not. Reloading the page seems to help sometimes.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #233
DianNC
Banned

There were some bugs in the initial roll-out and, at least with BPL, some have been fixed and some are still there.

The rating system appears to be back for BPL -- we can sign in and rate, but no record is kept (which would be handy if one used it to keep track of books read).
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #234
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I don't like the icon in the top right hand corner for the format. Twice now I've checked out an audiobook I didn't want. Finished A Game of Thrones and was tickled I could get the second book so quickly, only to realize it was the audio copy and Clash of Kings really had 50+ people waiting for the (Kindle) ebook!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #235
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Or you could use Goodreads to keep track.
I'm sure there are plenty of ways I could keep lists of books I've read. I just think it would be cool if it the books would automatically be flagged as previously checked out.

If a book title or description looks vaguely familiar, I would think to check it against any list I might be keeping of books I've read. However, neither the title nor the very brief description of the book I accidentally checked out twice rang a bell, so there was nothing to inspire me to check. It would have been handy if it could have been flagged.

Copyrite - I agree with you about the audio vs ebook symbols - they are pretty faint and I can easily see how you could select the wrong one by mistake.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #236
4691mls
Wizard

I tried to log onto the library on my Sony PRS-T1 at lunchtime today but was unable to. The first step in logging onto the NC library is to select the name of my actual library (the NC library is a consortium of libraries all over the state) and clicking the "select library" box did nothing.

I won't be able to try again until tonight. Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem today? maybe the library is in the middle of making changes to the mobile site? or maybe it's just my reader?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #237
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Chicago Public Library has now upgraded. I can't say I care for the changes. I don't like the way the wishlist is set up at all, and it took me three tries to remove a book from my wishlist before the change "took."
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #238
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I tried to log onto the library on my Sony PRS-T1 at lunchtime today but was unable to. The first step in logging onto the NC library is to select the name of my actual library (the NC library is a consortium of libraries all over the state) and clicking the "select library" box did nothing.

I won't be able to try again until tonight. Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem today? maybe the library is in the middle of making changes to the mobile site? or maybe it's just my reader?
One of the three digital libraries I belong to that has a drop-down switched to this new format. You have to TYPE IN the name of the library (it will offer suggestions once you start typing). If you click in the box hoping it'll offer the dropdown, though, no luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #239
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
One of the three digital libraries I belong to that has a drop-down switched to this new format. You have to TYPE IN the name of the library (it will offer suggestions once you start typing). If you click in the box hoping it'll offer the dropdown, though, no luck.
Is that the PC or mobile version? I can still use the library from my PC. But when I try on the PRS-T1, trying to tap on or in the Select Library box, nothing happens except the page flashes. It does not bring up either a dropdown list or the keyboard, which would be necessary for me to be able to type the name.

Edited to add: I sent an email to my local library's Overdrive help. Will report if I get anywhere with it. I hope the stupid Overdrive update has not made it so I can't access the library directly on the PRS-T1.

Last edited by 4691mls; 01-08-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #240
FizzyWater

Ah, sorry, PC version. I've never used the mobile version on an actual mobile device.