Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #46
viduliya
viduliya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Where 1.9.14 falls short for me.

The 1.9.14 firmware for KT is updated with some nice features enabled even for epub documents. Thank you for these features.

But there is a few things that is not right yet:
  1. There is still an issue with some SD cards. If I leave a book open from my 2GB PNY SDHC Class 4 card for a while (say 10 mintues) and flip a page and I get booted to the home screen. All the books on my card disappear and will not re-appear until I unplug the SD card and plug it back in. The same thing happens if I hit the silver button after a delay inside the book to return to the home screen. This is very disappointing since now I have brought four KT devices in total. I have two at home for me and my wife and brought two more as gifts for my mother and father. Now I have to tell my parents to watch out when they buy SD cards to use with their KT devices.
  2. Still there is no quick way to access the dictionary for a selected word. You still have to dive through a menu. Yet a brand new and completely useless (to me) facebook button was added right next to the menu. I don't have a facebook account configured and don't plan on ever creating or configuring a facebook account. I still can't see how the dictionary access don't deserve a quicker method for a selected word.
  3. The ability to register and use it without having a Windows/Mac computer with Kobo Desktop software installed is still not available it seems. If you happen to only have linux computers at home you have to go digging for a working windows machine where you can install kobo desktop to register the device if you do a full reset.

Last edited by viduliya; 11-25-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: type-o fixed
viduliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #47
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
[QUOTE=MDK;1848215]Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.14 and desktop 2.1.4 will be released shortly.]

Could you or someone let us know if or when the Kobo User Guide will be updated? Or if an addendum will be issued for the guide which details the changes made by the updated firmware?

I know some information is given in the Kobo Blog and I have printed this off as an addition to the guide but it would be nice if the guide was updated.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #48
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by viduliya View Post
T[*]Still there is no quick way to access the dictionary for a selected word. You still have to dive through a menu. Yet a brand new and completely useless (to me) facebook button was added right next to the menu. I don't have a facebook account configured and don't plan on ever creating or configuring a facebook account. I still can't see how the dictionary access don't deserve a quicker method for a selected word.
I think the issue is that you can do a long press/select a word for various reasons. I am fine with doing that, and then tapping on the book icon and choosing definition, when that is what I want. I can also choose highlight,search on book, add note, or translate from the same icon menu. I am fine with one extra press vs having a separate icon only for dictionary.

Last edited by taming; 11-25-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarity
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
[QUOTE=Thasaidon;1849077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.14 and desktop 2.1.4 will be released shortly.]
I know some information is given in the Kobo Blog and I have printed this off as an addition to the guide but it would be nice if the guide was updated.
Yes, it would be nice, wouldn't it? In the meantime, you can see release notes from device information in settings.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #50
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
Does one need to connect Kobo Touch to computer ever after finalizing first setup? Can I do the firmware upgrade without computer connection (I haven't done any yet)?

I am Linux user myself, and I did my first KT registration on my Windows machine, but I have not used the Kobo Desktop software since. I have purchased one book so far from Kobo bookstore, but I just synced whe KT via wifi and book did get synced to device.
You don't need to connect to the computer for firmware upgrades. Just press the Sync button on the bottom of the home page when you are within range of an accessible WiFi signal.

I too run Linux, did my initial setup in a WindowsXP installation through Virtualbox I don't see the appeal of adding dozens of books to my unit at a time, so I keep a modest queue on my KT, and use the Calibre content server to add books as I see fit.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #51
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think the issue is that you can do a long press/select a word for various reasons. I am fine with doing that, and then tapping on the book icon and choosing definition, when that is what I want. I can also choose highlight,search on book, add note, or translate from the same icon menu. I am fine with one extra press vs having a separate icon only for dictionary.
Now what about opening that menu by default then. Thus the user needs one tap less. Or get the most used features separate icons, like Facebook got (which I don't use, so that's a waste of space in my case). What about switching between "dictionary/definition" and "translate" functionality? An icon next to the arrow (leading to the "edit" page) in the top/left would be cool. Or do I still need to close either, get back to the text, mark the word again, tap again to open the menu and select the other functionality? Or is it now possible to switch between them, keeping the marked word in the "clipboard"? I posted it in the request feature forum already, but I'd like to know if this was implemented? I noticed that they tend to give different results, sometimes complementing each other (f.e. one lacks a word the other got in its database). And is it possible to switch the marking to an adjacent word when I missed the right one with the first tap? Or do I need to tap X first and try again?
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #52
viduliya
viduliya began at the beginning.

Quote:
Now what about opening that menu by default then. Thus the user needs one tap less. Or get the most used features separate icons, like Facebook got (which I don't use, so that's a waste of space in my case). What about switching between "dictionary/definition" and "translate" functionality? An icon next to the arrow (leading to the "edit" page) in the top/left would be cool. Or do I still need to close either, get back to the text, mark the word again, tap again to open the menu and select the other functionality? Or is it now possible to switch between them, keeping the marked word in the "clipboard"? I posted it in the request feature forum already, but I'd like to know if this was implemented? I noticed that they tend to give different results, sometimes complementing each other (f.e. one lacks a word the other got in its database). And is it possible to switch the marking to an adjacent word when I missed the right one with the first tap? Or do I need to tap X first and try again?
I agree 100%.
viduliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #53
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Downloaded the update last night and am enjoying the new features (the clock is a nice touch). I am amazed at how many things have been added to my Kobo Touch through the updates.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #54
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I really like this update. I like the highlighting and the clock. Thanks.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #55
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
Opening the menu with all options (including Facebook, if you will) would be a nice improvement indeed!

As a french user reading a lot of english books, I tend to use the dictionaries quite a bit and find myself hopping back and forth between definition and translation. I can say that this is not implemented in FW 1.9.14 (you have to cancel and mark again), yet I would find it very valuable if the process involved was less tedious, i.e a way to switch from dictionary to translation and back was available. And while I'm at it with the dictionaries, I would also like a way to do cross searches, i.e invoke a dictionary, for definition or translation, from a dictionary page when a definition/translation is still unclear.

To your other question, once a word is marked, start and end indexes are available to extend the selection both ways, as well as a "hot" spot that you can use to move the selection across the page.

Last of all, I've been trying to get on the beta group to participate mostly on the localisation testing but without success so far. If someone knows the better way to join, I'm all ears (well, eyes really).

Last edited by frankieGom; 11-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #56
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bah, I usually make a habit of syncing for the new firmware ever night... except last night. Looking forward to checking out the latest fixes for problems I don't actually have
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #57
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
To your other question, once a work is marked, start and end indexes are available to extend the selection both ways, as well as a "hot" spot that you can use to move the selection across the page.
Thanks for the info!
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #58
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I haven't had a chance to update yet, but I'm ridiculously excited for the endnote/footnote preview. That will be very welcome indeed for non-fiction books with a lot of cites.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #59
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did you happen to notice that you can download books onto your Touch using the Calibre server? How kewl is that!
Thanks for that, I get books to the VOX that way, just never thought of doing it with the touch, all my ebooks are in a handful of Calibre libraries served off of a linux box (different port numbers)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #60
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by viduliya View Post
  1. There is still an issue with some SD cards. If I leave a book open from my 2GB PNY SDHC Class 4 card for a while (say 10 mintues) and flip a page and I get booted to the home screen.
I'd also like to thank the developers for this release. The KT just keeps getting better and better!

But I'm also still seeing this issue with my Transcend 8g class 6 card. The strange thing I tested a version that mostly fixed the issue, but has regressed again in the new release.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote