Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
PDF ebooks generated by ABC Amber LIT

I have several ebooks that are in pdf format. When I open them there is a note on the top of each page - "Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html". It's a link/hypertext to go online. I didn't try the hypertext because I was worried it would mess up my computer.

Has anyone seen this before? I tried using Calibre to convert from pdf to epub but the note still shows up. It is very distracting when I try to read the books.

Any ideas on how to remove this? Is it something unique to pdf files that have been converted with Amber Lit?

Weezie

Last edited by weeziepepper; 01-11-2010 at 08:30 PM.
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

I have a new question now.

I found a discussion online when someone else had the same problem. He converted the PDF file and then used WordPad to delete the Amber Lit header.

Does anyone know of an easy PDF converter program? Preferably not too expensive (or possibly free). I guess then I would convert from PDF to html? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Weezie
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
PDF is designed as an output format, and doesn't convert well to other formats.

There are some expensive options for converting them to other formats, but I haven't heard of any working very well.

Personally, I prefer to keep it in PDF format and tweak it to look better on my reader -- sopdf is the tool I use most.

Do you need to have html for some particular reason?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

I just want to find a way to remove the header on each page of the pdf files. I don't have the original lit files, they were converted by Amber Lit and now a header shows up "Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html" on every single page. I read somewhere that if I can convert to another format (like html or doc) then I can use WordPad to manually delete the headers.
What is sopdf? Is it a program I can download? I'm fine with keeping as pdf, I just want to get rid of the header if possible.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can download sopdf from the link I gave above -- but it won't remove the notes.

Your best bet is to go back to using calibre for the conversions if the conversion worked well otherwise. There's an option in calibre to use a RegEx expression to remove headers and footers, and it could be used to remove this note too.

See here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...rs-and-footers

If you have trouble making it work, try asking in the calibre forum.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #6
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help frabjous.

I found a program that may work for me - ABC Amber PDF Converter. It can convert pdf to lots of different formats. I checked out the trial version and changed some pages from pdf to html. Then I was able to edit the new html to get rid of the header and also change some other formatting issues.
I took a chance and bought it (only $12.95) so we'll see how it goes.
Wish me luck!

Weezie
Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
ratoncillo
ratoncillo began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Did you get an answer for this? I'm new to forums and can't find anything.
ratoncillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
cejenkins91
cejenkins91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Smile One solution

What worked for me:

1. Using calibre, convert from PDF to TXT
2. Open the .txt with notepad, copy the entire thing into microsoft word/open office
3. copy the section you want to delete from the entire thing (ABC Amber Lit converter http:// blablabla)
4. go 'find a replace' in the find bit paste the bit you don't want and just copied, in the 'replace with' section, don't put anything. Hit enter and it will say just replaced however many (I did this for Captain Corelli's Mandolin and got 501 replacements)
5. Copy the entire text and paste it into the original .txt file, and save it over the calibre conversion.
6. go back into calibre and convert from .txt to .mobi. Some of the contents table lost its formatting but as far as I could see that was about it, and well worth getting rid of how annoying that repetitive and distracting message was.

Hope it works for you!
cejenkins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
r8sso
r8sso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question

Where did you find Captain Corelli's Mandolin? I've been trawling the web for hours now trying to find a copy!
r8sso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
TheRealAnubis
TheRealAnubis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratoncillo View Post
Did you get an answer for this? I'm new to forums and can't find anything.
This message comes from using the 'free' version of ABC Amber LIT.

I have tried tons of different ways to remove the header, but this finally worked for me.

If your reader doesn't support epub, then this method won't work.

Download and install Sigil - http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list

Go to http://www.2epub.com/ and convert your PDF to epub (hopefully this is what your reader can use!)

You can input these types of files:
doc, docx, epub, fb2, html, lit, lrf, mobi, odt, pdb, pdf, prc, rtf, txt.

and it will output:
epub, fb2, lit, lrf, mobi

We are using the epub method.

Once converted, open the book in Sigil, and under VIEW, select CODE VIEW. Find the first instance of the header code for ABC Amber LIT ...... and copy all of that code. Use find and replace, replacing the code with nothing.

Search again for ABC, copy that code, find and replace, etc. I usually find about three different types of code for the message. Once you can't find ABC anymore, save the book and enjoy!

This method also works for the novaPDF header or footer that is very similar to ABC's message - again, the result of using the 'free' version.

Hopefully this helps. It's not too complicated, but if you have plenty of books it can be a pain, but the result is a nice ad free book!

Last edited by TheRealAnubis; 11-09-2011 at 04:24 PM.
TheRealAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those reading this thread for the first time, don't use ABC Amber anything converter. They don't work all that well overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
karlmorris
karlmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi all. My first post (Hope it helps)
To convert files for editing I use calibre to convert the file to htmlz, then extract the htmlz file with (I use) winrar. You can then edit the HTML file to your hearts content keeping the formatting.
karlmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
obb
obb began at the beginning.

Device: Hipstreet 7 HD eBook Reader
Easy way to fix this

I find the easyest way is to transfer it to epub with calibre then edit it with Sigil to remove the Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html

Once you open it in Sigel copy & paste Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html into the find spot then hit delete twice.

It is a pain to do but it is the only way i no of to get rid of it. then save it & reoplen in calibre & convert it back to pdf if that's the format that you want.

You can also fix or make chapters in sigil bc I like having it chaptered.
obb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can use calibre search and replace function in convert. You may meed to use . to replace characters that are 'special' like /.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Click the show button under header/footer for a discussion on using search/replace in Calibre to remove the Amber stuff.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118570

Works great for me with a few modifications when needed.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote