Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Everyone seems to have a particular feature that is extremely important to them. The installed dictionary meets my needs well enough, but if it doesn't meet someone else's, so be it.

I doubt that anyone responding to this sort of inquiry can, at this point, say anything other than they will pass the request on to the support team. There is a development road map and adding something to it, or increasing the priority, is not something that is done on the fly.

If this means that some folks will choose another brand of reader, well, isn't it great to have choices!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
Nadqa
Nadqa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Is there a custom dictionary for languages other than German and English--or only a translation service?
So long there's only a translation service... I like to think that this is going to change with future updates... hopefully... But It seems It won't be very useful anyway.

Last edited by Nadqa; 12-11-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Nadqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My understanding is that they are negotiating rights to dictionaries one at a time. Even if you are 85, you are too young to be this cynical Nadqa.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Harry_W
Harry_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Harry; what response do you expect from Kobo...
a) "We plan to add custom dictionary functionality in a coming firmware."

b) "We decided NOT to include the function you ask for. The dictionaries will remain as they are now."

I DON'T expect Kobo to come up with a firmware with that function within a week. I DON'T expect to get a couple of Collins dictionaries for free (although they're in the Sony T1 which costs about the same as the Kobo Touch here).
But I DO expect an answer to a simple question, if or if not such a feature has a chance to be implemented in future. I have 14 days to decide if I keep my Kobo or if I send it back. So I can't wait for months for a reaction that may never come.

The lousy dictionary is a serious issue for me, especially after I had the direct comparison to the Sony T1.
Harry_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have always felt that the smart move is to realize that you are buying only what you are offered on the day of sale, rather than what you believe or hope is coming in the future. If today the Sony meets your needs more than does the Touch--buy the Sony.

Kobo generally keeps its development road map close to the vest. I would not expect either response.
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately this is not something that level 1 support will know or be able to pass on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
AndrewH7
Enthusiast
AndrewH7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Is there a custom dictionary for languages other than German and English--or only a translation service?
Yes, there are 1s for French & Chinese, but can only be used when reading epub file.
AndrewH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #23
AndrewH7
Enthusiast

On Kobo web-site says, 'settings>language>dictionary & tick 1 you want.' but mine had no dictionary choice there. Why?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH7 View Post
On Kobo web-site says, 'settings>language>dictionary & tick 1 you want.' but mine had no dictionary choice there. Why?
Maybe your device is using a rather outdated firmware?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
AndrewH7
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe your device is using a rather outdated firmware?
Thanks, firmware -2, from 2012.