Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
PassedPawn
PassedPawn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300BC
Calibre can't work with prior Calibre library.

Sounds a little confusing, I know.

What happened is that a recent AVG update trashed my Vista installation, so I had to reinstall Windows and all my other stuff during the last couple of days. My ebook library is located on an external hard drive which worked fine with Calibre. After installing Calibre 0.7.31, the Welcome Wizard asked for a folder to use for ebooks and I tried to set it to my original ebook folder that contains books. The error Calibre reported is this:

ERROR: Bad location: You must choose an empty folder for the calibre library. F:\Storage\Downloads\eBooks is not empty.

After finally getting Calibre to run and trying to point it to my original ebook directory, it reported this error:

ERROR: Invalid database: <p>An invalid library already exists at F:\Storage\Downloads\eBooks, delete it before trying to move the existing library.<br>Error: attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 196, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\__init__.py", line 551, in move_library
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 133, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 175, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 232, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 196, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Is there a way to salvage my ebook directory setup or do I have to copy each book from each subdirectory, that Calibre created before the reinstall, somewhere else and then add them to Calibre from anther directory?

Last edited by PassedPawn; 12-03-2010 at 04:40 AM.
PassedPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Have you tried to cancel the Welcome Wizard and use

-Switch/Create Library
-use existing library at new location

This should work.
Maybe the Welcome Wizard tries to create a new library while detecting your existing library.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The error message suggests that the calibre metadata.db3 file has been set read-only. Have you checked that this is not the case?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Given the rebuild, it could be that the security descriptors changed and as-logged-in, you no longer have appropriate privileges on the calibre library. Right-click on the library folder and check security to see whether the user you are logged in as has full privileges on the folder and its content. If not, fix it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
PassedPawn
PassedPawn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300BC
That's what it was security settings. I had to change the user privileges for that drive to full.

Whew, all's working now. Thanks everybody
PassedPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert