Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
If you must use the pc reader program you can start it up without your t1 plugged in and then set the preferences as you see fit... do not plug in the device while pc reader is running or it will go auto sync on you.. personally I only use the reader software to update the firmware I use calibre for my pc library and conversions, sigil for checking e-pubs, I use dropbox or drag n'drop to add books to the device .. sooner or later you will have problems with sync.. it never fails to screw up something
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think this is how it works. You have to go under Preferences and uncheck "launch reader desktop when connecting the Reader device. Then once you get the reader hooked up and can get to Sync, you have to uncheck everything (books, audio, etc.)

If you want to sync, you then recheck everything and tell it to sync; when you are done, uncheck everything again before you disconnect the Reader and shut down the software. You have to make sure everything is unchecked each time you get ready to disconnect and shut down.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can stop the auto sync from happening the first time you connect, before you get a chance to uncheck everything. Maybe somebody else knows?
Thank you for the info

From memory I did this same procedure when I first installed this newer version of the Sony Desktop from the older style version.

I'm saving your post in my Evernote, Sony Tips and Tricks section.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Just re-checked my Reader for PC, with the device plugged in, and yep, it's set up that way: that is, every category blank (de-selected), so that means nothing can sync.

A dialogue box comes up every time I plug in the device to when the Desktop version is open asking whether I want to sync or not, I cancel out.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Lynx, perhaps I have injested too much cold medicine but I don't understand what you're asking. Change for the T1 from what? The 650? I think it's part of the Reader for PC & the new readers. I don't believe it does it automatically for the x50's. I had a 350 at the time the T1 & the new Reader for PC came out and it didn't do that.

The Sony T1 when connected to your computer with Reader for PC running automatically starts syncing every single book in your library onto your device. I don't want that. In fact, I hate it. Even if you try to stop it it's already made changes to the way your books are set up on your device. I've never been fast enough to not have that happen.

How do you get your books onto your device? I do not use the Reader for PC for that. I either use drag & drop or download on the reader itself or use Calibre. I won't use Reader for PC to get books onto my reader because it makes a complete mess of it.

There are several old threads from when the T1 first came out with what Reader for PC does in the way it syncs to the device. I have not and will not take the chance to connect my device with Reader for PC running so I don't know if it's changed but somehow I doubt it. It'll still do the auto sync nonsense which I do not want.
Correct - it certainly doesn't with my 650.

If I want books on my reader using Reader for PC I have to select them from my library and drag them over to the reader - no automatic syncing.

To be honest I use Reader for PC all the time. I really do not like the way Calibre dictates the way your books should be organised - I do not want a separate folder for each book!
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
To be honest I use Reader for PC all the time. I really do not like the way Calibre dictates the way your books should be organised - I do not want a separate folder for each book!
That's fine if you don't have a T1 and hundreds of books where you don't want all of them on your reader.

If you don't want folders for each book, and I don't either, then get rid of the tags in the Edit Metadata part of the book and you won't.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thank you for the info

From memory I did this same procedure when I first installed this newer version of the Sony Desktop from the older style version.

I'm saving your post in my Evernote, Sony Tips and Tricks section.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Just re-checked my Reader for PC, with the device plugged in, and yep, it's set up that way: that is, every category blank (de-selected), so that means nothing can sync.

A dialogue box comes up every time I plug in the device to when the Desktop version is open asking whether I want to sync or not, I cancel out.
I originally got this info about turning off Sync from other posters on Mobileread, though the thread that helped me is probably long buried.

I do like this helpful forum!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My experience with unchecking was that it then removed all those books from the device. Synchronization means to make equal. When the Reader for PC sees that the device is different and you Sync it will then attempt to make the two identical thus messing up the way you have your reader set up.

It's not horrible if you only have a few books but it is indeed a nasty surprise if you have hundreds, or worse, thousands of books in your collection or you simply don't want the device cluttered with books you've already read. It just doesn't work. If you desire any semblance of order or organization that differs from what's on Reader for PC, manual is the only way to go.

As soon as you start checking & unchecking stuff to sync to the reader it will mess up whatever way you've got your books organized on the reader and even remove some you wanted on the reader and put ones on that you didn't. Synchronize means to make the two the same and that's what the program does.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
That's fine if you don't have a T1 and hundreds of books where you don't want all of them on your reader.

If you don't want folders for each book, and I don't either, then get rid of the tags in the Edit Metadata part of the book and you won't.
Thanks for that information. I have to admit I've never really delved into the workings of Calibre, just tried it once and could not get my head around its way of storing everything in separate folders. I will have to have another go and try editing the tags.

This automatic syncing must be a feature of the Android operating system - backward step in my opinion.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
My experience with unchecking was that it then removed all those books from the device. Synchronization means to make equal. When the Reader for PC sees that the device is different and you Sync it will then attempt to make the two identical thus messing up the way you have your reader set up.

It's not horrible if you only have a few books but it is indeed a nasty surprise if you have hundreds, or worse, thousands of books in your collection or you simply don't want the device cluttered with books you've already read. It just doesn't work. If you desire any semblance of order or organization that differs from what's on Reader for PC, manual is the only way to go.

As soon as you start checking & unchecking stuff to sync to the reader it will mess up whatever way you've got your books organized on the reader and even remove some you wanted on the reader and put ones on that you didn't. Synchronize means to make the two the same and that's what the program does.
Yes, it is true that if you run Sync with only some of the boxes checked, items in the other categories will disappear from your reader. I discovered this by mistake early on - fortunately I didn't have much on the reader yet! I always check all before running Sync.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ Shopaholic and 4691 - I never Sync my Sony device, but I keep all the boxes unchecked so that when I do attach my device and if I also have Sony Reader for PC open at the same time - nothing occurs. (Because I don't manual sync and auto sync is not on).
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Lynx you don't have a T1. Reader for PC doesn't do the same thing it does to the 650 that it does to the T1. What I'm talking about isn't applicable to your device.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

@Shopaholic, yep - I'm definitely only referring to my 650.