Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Kindle and magnets

OK, this is probably a really silly question...but I like to carry my Kindle in my purse. The purse's clasp has a small magnet in it that sticks to a button-sized receptacle. It's a fairly common clasp, I think. Is there any danger to the Kindle from this small magnet? I am thinking probably 'not' because I carry an iPod in the purse too and there's never been any problem with that (or with my credit cards, for that matter)...but I wonder if anyone has any experience with it.

And why do purse/totebag manufacturers think it's nice to use magnets in the bag clasps?
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Is there any danger to the Kindle from this small magnet?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. There really isn't anything that a magnet, espesially such a week one could affect in the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I love magnets.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My wallet has a magnetic snap and I have it in my handbag with my Kindle almost every day. Not a problem so far.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
The only possible thing I can think of that might be a problem is that if your memory card came in close proximity to the magnet, it might erase the content.

Highly unlikely, IMO, though
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no more dangerous than the magnatizim of love from all them Harlequin romance books you have loaded on your Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
The only possible thing I can think of that might be a problem is that if your memory card came in close proximity to the magnet, it might erase the content.
I'm pretty sure that flash memory is immune to magnetic fields.

The PRS500 has tho quite strong magnets built into it, and I've never had any problem with mine, nor heard of any such problems from anyone else.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post

Highly unlikely, IMO, though
Flash memory is not affected by magnetic fields.

I inadvertently gave this the "ultimate test" not so long ago - spent an hour inside a CAT scanner with a USB memory stick in my pocket . It came through unscathed. You won't find magnetic fields stronger than that in too many places!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
In newer devices, with no harddrive or chahtodetube in it, there seems to be no problem with magnetism at all. They even sell magnetholders for cars....
DaNDeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
There were originally plans for a magnetic book light for the Kindle and they had to be scrapped because it interfered with the EVDO. You shouldn't have to worry about EVDO when it's in your purse so you are probably OK.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I inadvertently gave this the "ultimate test" not so long ago - spent an hour inside a CAT scanner with a USB memory stick in my pocket . It came through unscathed. You won't find magnetic fields stronger than that in too many places!
That's a pretty ultimate test all right.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Harry, I guess you are right about flash memory not being affected by magnetism, but not sure.

I do think, however, that you mixed up MRIs with CT scans. The former uses extremely powerful magnets, while the latter uses X-rays. Having a pacemaker, I know MRI is verboten, but not CT scans.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, last time I had an MRI they made me remove all my jewellery, hairpins and the technicians said to check for metal buttons and hooks and zips on clothes.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must have been an MRI scanner then - it was definitely the "magnetic" one. I did have to remove all metal things, but the memory stick was in a back pocket and I overlooked it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote