Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I have got the "Watchman" graphic novel...
If you're only going to have one graphic novel, then that's a pretty good choice.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you're only going to have one graphic novel, then that's a pretty good choice.
Thanks. I was fortunate in that I was able to find it 2nd hand at a used bookstore here in town. It looks practically brand new too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I was all over the place as a kid. Superman, Batman, Disney, Richie Rich, Casper, House of Mystery, science fiction (like The Black Hole), even some western comics. Haven't read much in yrs though. They went up in price and down in number of pages (or so it seems).
They have.
The "cheaper" $2.99 titles run 17 pages of story, the $3.99 titles run 20-22.
And the stories are structured for the trade paperback collected volumes. Makes reading single issues less satisfying.
Paper quality has improved, though.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They have.
The "cheaper" $2.99 titles run 17 pages of story, the $3.99 titles run 20-22.
And the stories are structured for the trade paperback collected volumes. Makes reading single issues less satisfying.
Paper quality has improved, though.
I can remember when you could get a 3 pack of comics (fairly thick ones) for around $1.25. Of course you got a grab bag assortment usually that way as it was hard to see what the middle comic was prior to opening the packaging. They were usually hung up to the side of the checkout lanes in grocery stores back then.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Whizzer and Chips, Monster Fun, assorted Marvel reprints, Daredevils, Warrior, 2000AD, then followed all the writers to America -- Swamp Thing, Invisibles, Preacher, etc. Now, not so much of anything, but I do still read Walking Dead and Crossed. When they end that'll probably be it for me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #21
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I am an 80's kid so X-Men, GI Joe, Transformers, Conan.

Now Fables, The Walking Dead, Y-The Last Man, Locke and Key, Bone, Sandman and any other literate adult comic I get my hands.My Public Library has a lot of comic books and I take a stack out every couple weeks.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Asterix and Obelix, TinTin, Gaston, a lot from Willy Vandersteen, Lucky Luke, and a lot I've no idea what they're called in English (or even in Dutch anymore which makes searching difficult). But I do know a lot came from Belgian writers.

I used to go to the library every saturday, and spend about an hour in the comic book corner (shelves full of them, with comfortable couches in front) before picking up the books I wanted to take home.

Now, Suske en Wiske (from Willy Vandersteen, or rather his successor), and Donald Duck (weekly magazine).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 AM   #23
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I used to read many as a kid. I liked to read european comics "bande dessinées" like Astérix, Tintin, Achille Talon, Les Shtrouphs (The Smurfs), and others that I don't remember their names. I also read Archie & Veronica, some Disney comics (Donald Duck and Scrooge), some super-heroes comics too.

I still read my favorite bande dessinées Astérix et Obélix and Achille Talon. I've tried to read graphic novels but I don't like them, I find them artistically ugly and the stories so so. The few I've liked were european ones. In the other hand, I really love mangas and I prefer their art style over western one. I also like the stories as well. I now collect them.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
When I was very young in the 70s I read Beano, Asterix, Peanuts..
A bit later Smurfs.

Later in my teens I read Lots of Marvel comics (SpiderMan, Xmen etc), DC comics (Batman and so on),
Judge Dredd and similar stuff from 2000 AD.
Various graphic novels (fancy comics) such as Slaine, Watchmen.

These days I don't read much in the way of comics.
I have been reading recently "The order of the stick" . a Fantasy comic that is written as a comedy take on Tabletop RPGs.
But that's about it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I was into Archie when I was very little. When I was 10, I discovered Elfquest. I loved the original Quest. I also got into A Distant Soil. Both EQ and ADS have restarted recently. My brother had a lot of super hero comics and I think my favorite of those were X-Men and its spin-offs.

I wish I had been hip enough to discover Sandman when it first came out but better late than never! I am loving Bill Willingham's Fables as well and have been getting into Saga and The Unwritten. Sweet Tooth didn't have my favorite style of art but it grew on me and was an interesting story.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #26
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
For most of my youth there was only really 2000ad, in Britain. Luckily it was brilliant.
I was over-simplifying a bit, here. When I was very young - in fact, I think it's what made me want to learn to read - I used to get Pippin, which I remember featuring the two bears, Barnaby (who I liked) and Rupert (who I didn't).

I also read Commando for a while, and at some point must have read the Beano, Dandy and clones, but these were all short-lived. Later there would have been Viz, and then Crisis and Toxic (which I might have a complete run of), but 2000ad outlasted the lot of them. I must have read it for fifteen years or more. It's almost surprising that I don't still read it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I used to read a lot of the X-Men titles, Legion of Super-Heroes, Astérix, Tintin, and Elfquest. After many years of not reading any comics, I've come back to them through e-reading. I don't follow any titles on a monthly basis but instead get a graphic novel about every month or two.

Most recently I've read "Red Son", a take on what if baby Kal-El had landed in Soviet Russia and grown up under communism to become Superman.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Almost all the comics that were available in the 1950's (Disney, adventure, westerns, super-heroes, crime, horror, comedy, Archie); whatever was available. Comics cost a dime then and we used to trade them too. Later the Marvel super-hero comics (sure wish I had kept those, especially the first issues)!

I recall some of the more gross comics being blamed for crime in their day, and the "Comic Code Authority" came about. But from my personal experience the juvenile delinquents I knew never read comic books, or anything else for that matter.

Eventually I outgrew comic books, but still look at some once in awhile for the sake of nostalgia, I suppose. Some of the ones that seemed great when I was a kid just seem silly now.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #29
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Mid to late 70s kid here, and it was all Marvel all the time for me. Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, all the greats.

Stan Lee was my idol, and still is, really. What fun he must be having in the cameos of Marvel movies and meeting celebrities for pictures he posts on his Twitter account.

When I was into comics, I thought adults who liked comics were cool. But I didn't grow up to be one. David Mack's Kabuki is the only comic series I've read as an adult, and that's been over a decade ago now.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I used to read Marvel (Spiderman, etc).

All I read as an adult is stuff written by Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, early League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc). I've yet to find anything else that approaches his mature and innovative approach to the graphic novel.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote