Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #451
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Anyway, I recommend Biocentrism to readers with open and inquiring minds. It's not perfect, but it will make you think. Don't be put off by the book's detractors who dismiss it as "crackpot." I suspect that their understanding of quantum mechanics is not as complete as they like to think.
My understanding of quantum mechanics isn't "complete", but I do trust reputable professionals who have pointed out the numerous errors in Lanza's work, errors that go to the heart of what he's claiming. I also know enough to realize that Lanza's claims aren't even particularly new - they're the same "consciousness builds the universe" pseudo-science that quantum-woo peddlers like Chopra have been infatuated with forever.

There's keeping an open mind, and then there's keeping a mind so open that your brain falls out. I'd encourage anyone who picks up Biocentrism to read sceptically, and educate themselves on the reality of quantum physics; there's a reason Lanza's work hasn't set off an army of researchers looking to investigate his claims and turn physics on its head (and garner the accolades that comes with that).
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #452
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Biocentrism strikes me as providing the same sort of woo that was dished up apologetically in the movie, "What the Bleep Do We Know!?".
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #453
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Several years ago, I read Neil Shubin's "Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body", a wonderful description of the evolution of the human body.

It's been adapted into a PBS 3-episode mini-series. Sadly, I missed the first segment, shown on April 9. The second part airs tonight at 2200 Eastern.

has anyone seen the first episode?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #454
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I watched episode 2 of "Your Inner Fish" last night. Not bad for TV , but the book has much more depth. Still, any TV show which can present evolution effectively is a Good Thing.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #455
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you consider cryptography science, I would recommend "The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography" by Simon Singh.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #456
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quantum cryptography? Is that the kind where even the senders doesn't know what the message is until you open the code book?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #457
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Quantum cryptography? Is that the kind where even the senders doesn't know what the message is until you open the code book?
Essentially-- cryptography is the science of creating secret messages, so if the message is intercepted on its route between sender and recipient, it cannot be read.

Quantum cryptography relies on quantum physics to encode and decode the message, so in theory it should be less easily breakable.

Of course, given enough time and resources, any code will be decipherable, the main element is to make that deciphering as difficult (usually: time-consuming) as necessary to ensure the information gleaned is rendered useless to the adversary.

Considering that mathematics is an underpinning of science, and there is a lot of science going into the art of cryptography, I'd say this is a good place for the recommendation.

Personally, I am always looking for a good book about numbers and the history of numbers, but I doubt there are enough people interested in that subject to create a specific thread.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 04-21-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #458
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Of course, given enough time and resources, any code will be decipherable, the main element is to make that deciphering as difficult (usually: time-consuming) as necessary to ensure the information gleaned is rendered useless to the adversary.
That's not strictly true - completely (and provably) uncrackable encryption is possible, and well understood. It's just very inconvenient to use.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #459
bfisher
Wizard

Just read "The Last Alchemist in Paris : & Other Curious Tales From Chemistry" by Lars Ohrstrom. A series of short chapters on the intersections of chemistry and history. For example, the alchemist in the title is the Swedish playwright and polymath August Strindberg. Ohrstrom uses Strindberg's mental health issues as a springboard to discuss the biochemistry of lithium. Another chapter uses the myth of la Grande Armee's bursting tin buttons on the retreat from Moscow to discuss the chemistry of tin at low temperatures, and so on. Readable and entertaining.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #460
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi, I was directed to this thread by MickeyC, who encourage me to post about a book that I just finished reading, "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. I found it very good, and recommend it. I gave it 4 stars.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #461
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Hi, I was directed to this thread by MickeyC, who encourage me to post about a book that I just finished reading, "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. I found it very good, and recommend it. I gave it 4 stars.

One of my top favorite nonfiction books!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #462
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks Luffy. It's on my list
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #463
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander and it was a very interesting read. He gets, IMHO, a bit overly religious towards the end. But factor that out and it is interesting.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #464
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander and it was a very interesting read. He gets, IMHO, a bit overly religious towards the end. But factor that out and it is interesting.
Hi MickeyC,

I would recommend re-reading Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. A doctor's subjective experience with an "afterlife", doesn't quite meet scientific standards for validity. It is worth noting that people who use LSD also report transformative experiences, while under the drug, that are sustained for years after the experience. Payote users also report similar experiences.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #465
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The University of Chicago Press free ebook of the month is An Orchard Invisible and is about... seeds! A DRM's PDF unfortunately. No idea how good it is, but I downloaded it. And probably won't read it, just like all the others
I happened on this book the other day while searching for something to read, and I'm about half-way through. I like it very much. The writing is light and humorous and makes you feel like you are in a rambling conversation with the author. I am learning many things whose connexion to seeds may be at times rather distant (such as why mammals lost two of the four colors reptiles and birds can see, and why primates reacquired one of these lost colors) but that are always interesting. And also a few useful reminders about how evolution really works.

Too bad the book is only available in paper and PDF format, not ePub. I think that's probably because of the illustrations, which are a nice addition, but there are very few of them and it seems to me they could have been included in an ePub with little difficulty.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote