Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
My 1st days with the 600 review

Well I have had my 600 for about 3 days now and just thought I would give my quick reactions.

So far I love the size, feel and the look. I had a Kindle before and this thing is much nicer looking.

Once I got use to the touchscreen(as far as how much pressure to use) I am enjoying it very much. Turning the pages to me is much nicer with a short slide of a finger. One thing I do not like is the fact that the motion to turn the page is actually in reverse of the way you would turn a page in a book. I thought the swipe would go right to left,like when you turn a page in a book. but for some reason Sony went left to right.

The menu interface is setup pretty nice. Pretty intuitive. I have my books setup as icons which shows the covers instead of just listing the books out.

THe font sizes serve their purpose. I found the S to me readable, M a good font to read from and L to be good when I am tired and not having glasses around.

As far as the Sony store? It is not Amazon, but it serves its purpose. I wish it had some of the search features the Kindle store has(first chapter review, sort by author ,little more pizazz!). By I managed to download a few books: Common Sense, State Of Fear.

I purchased the Sony leather case for the 505 as well as the MEdge 550 case. I feel the Sony case is much more practical as if folds flatter and does not had as much bulk to the reader.

I went to the county library to get a library card today as well. Unfortunately, I paid $50 for a year as I am a non-resident of the county. I figured I should make that up within a year with the books. However I got home and it seems I can not use it to get ebooks. Need to find out Monday if downloads are only for resident people! Hope not.

Overall I am very pleased with the book and again thank you all for your great information in assisting me in making my decision
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
Well I have had my 600 for about 3 days now and just thought I would give my quick reactions.

So far I love the size, feel and the look. I had a Kindle before and this thing is much nicer looking.

Once I got use to the touchscreen(as far as how much pressure to use) I am enjoying it very much. Turning the pages to me is much nicer with a short slide of a finger. One thing I do not like is the fact that the motion to turn the page is actually in reverse of the way you would turn a page in a book. I thought the swipe would go right to left,like when you turn a page in a book. but for some reason Sony went left to right.

The menu interface is setup pretty nice. Pretty intuitive. I have my books setup as icons which shows the covers instead of just listing the books out.

THe font sizes serve their purpose. I found the S to me readable, M a good font to read from and L to be good when I am tired and not having glasses around.

As far as the Sony store? It is not Amazon, but it serves its purpose. I wish it had some of the search features the Kindle store has(first chapter review, sort by author ,little more pizazz!). By I managed to download a few books: Common Sense, State Of Fear.

I purchased the Sony leather case for the 505 as well as the MEdge 550 case. I feel the Sony case is much more practical as if folds flatter and does not had as much bulk to the reader.

I went to the county library to get a library card today as well. Unfortunately, I paid $50 for a year as I am a non-resident of the county. I figured I should make that up within a year with the books. However I got home and it seems I can not use it to get ebooks. Need to find out Monday if downloads are only for resident people! Hope not.

Overall I am very pleased with the book and again thank you all for your great information in assisting me in making my decision
You can change the direction of the swipe for turning pages in "settings".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
shrktank
Connoisseur

Thanks for the tip!!!

I may have to spend a little time reading the Manual I put on the reader
Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I was going to say the same thing in regard to page turning. What is you opinion of screen clarity of the 600 in comparison to your Kindle?
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
shrktank
Connoisseur

I would say the Kindle is better, but that it is not to an extent where I regret the Sony.
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
libraries

Quote:

I just purchased a 505 and have been looking at my local libraries to see if I can download ebooks. One of the libraries does have ebooks but no capability to download them to your computer or anywhere else. So it may turn out your library is the same. That same library had a pretty dated selection of ebooks that I would not have paid to get access to anyway. Just because a library is offering ebooks doesn't mean they have bestsellers available.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
In case you weren't aware, for some books (not sure just how many though), you can actually preview a section of the book before buying.

ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
shrktank
Connoisseur

Yes I saw I could preview an excerpt of the book prior to buying the book. The only thing is I would prefer to download this to my 600 so I can read at my own time. Not a biggie as I do have a iphone which I can get the 1st chapter from Amazon if needed.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Ah, well you could always copy the text, make an RTF (or other format), and send it to the reader I suppose. But I agree that the Kindle bookstore browsing is better.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote