Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
trokair
trokair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up Doctorow, Cory: Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present. 1.0. 2/12/2008

Cory Doctorow has written an excellent sci-fi short story anthology titled Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present. All of the stories are available free of charge from the
Overclocked site under the Creative Commons license.

The book includes the following stories:

I. Printcrime
II. When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth
III. Anda's Game
IV. I, Robot
V. I, Row-Boat
VI. After the Siege

Noticing that there was no way to download the entire book as one file, I decided to merge the HTML versions together into one document. Then, I cleaned up the formatting, added a table of contents and some polish, and turned it into a Mobipocket/Amazon Kindle compatible file. It should be a little easier to manage than six separate stories.

I initially had emailed Cory about getting my conversion up on the Overclocked download page, and here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Hey, Kyle! Many thanks for this -- really glad you enjoyed it!

Avalon -- who published Overclocked -- are more conservative that Tor, who do my novels, and the only way I could get them to agree to a CC release was to promise that I wouldn't distribute the whole book as one file. There's nothing that prevents YOU from doing so, natch, but I can't. Yes, this is INCREDIBLY dumb. Welcome to publishing!

Thanks for this -- hope lots of people d/l it from you!

Cory
I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I did!

-Kyle
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Overclocked - Stories of the Future Present.prc (328.8 KB, 1190 views)

Last edited by trokair; 02-12-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added list of included stories.
trokair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I had elsewhere found one of the stories from this book, "When Sysadmins Ruled The World" and I read it over the past weekend. It's a great tale! Thanks for putting the whole thing here - I'll check it out.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 02-12-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: fix title (had it right first time)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I notice that you've redone a book that is already here. While yours is in a better Mobipocket form,you have made some mistakes within the actual book.

When Sysadmins Ruled the World has all the section spacing removed and that can at times make it hard to read as you then have to deal with the focus shifting without any indication of such.

[i]Adan's Game[/], I Robot, I Row-Boat, and After the Seige all have the same problem.

I just fixed up the one I did to be version 3.0 and be a proper Mobipocket formatted eBook

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95309
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
trokair
trokair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ack! My apologies, I didn't mean to replicate something that was already here.

-Kyle
trokair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you check out the version I've posted, you'll see the missing section separators and might actually find it's a better read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert